6.8 SPC Forums banner

What is your favorite all around projectile?

• 110gr Barnes Triple Shock

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 110gr Nosler Accubond

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • 110gr Sierra Pro Hunter

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • 115gr Hornady HPBT

• 85gr Barnes Triple SHock

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • 100gr Nosler Accubond

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Others under 100Gr

• Others over 115gr

Votes: 2 3.8%

Projectile Poll

3K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  marinesg1012 
#1 ·
Ok, now that I got into reloading I see the fun and advantages of playing around with different projectiles, I wanted to take a poll on the best rated projectile based on performance, ( on Deer to Hogs and upwards of elk and such ) accuracy, and cost.

I know that there are different projectiles, but end of the world scenario, what would you want to have stockpiled?

#2 ·
I want my 110 Accubonds to be my all around bullet, but I keep plenty of loaded OTM's for SHTF stuff and I also keep plenty of 85's around for the occasional piggie huntand ifI for some reason needed to shoot through stuff......

#3 ·
I knew you would be the first to reply, don't you have anything better to doa than surf the 68forums net?

#6 ·
Well for the end of the world and if no costs are concerned then I would want all 85tsx's. I mean sometimes those Zombies hide behind stuff. And then you get the occasional motorcycle helmet wearing one and you just got to have the penetration.:a24:

I try to keep a good variety on hand. 85tsx for hogs. Sierre PH for deer. TNT for comp and plinking. Got a pretty decent stash of all of them right now.

Have SSA loaded SMK's for extra fodder.

#12 ·
Hey Michigan, whatcha got cookin on that illegal George Foreman? :a01:

For now, the 110gr PHs are my all around. That's partially a function of cost, though. If money was no object, I might find I prefer other bullets. For now, though, the PHs will do everything I need.

#15 · (Edited)
We need to get together and put on a praire dog shoot/meet and greet for guys that live in this part of the country.

As far as the OP. The 85s are faaast and will penetrate just about anything, skinny's or the michelin man so thats what I am stocking.
Many others for special purposes, The 110 Accubond for longer ranges or thicker animals, The 100 Nosler for deer, the 99gr GS for comps.

#18 ·
I'll either be going the 6th-13th or the following weekend. If you're down to drive to the middle of nowhere, I could get you a full day of shooting. We may have to move a few times, but I bet we could almost fill an entire day. IM when we get closer and I'll get you some directions.

#20 ·
If your going with loaded ammo (which is your only choice right now with the 100) then the 110 retains more energy downrange. Depending on the load it carries 1K of energy out to 350-400 yards. SSA's 100 grain accubond load is roughly the same velocity as the 110 load so the 110 carries the energy further.

I would like to see the 100 grain load pushed closer to the 2950 mark or so.....

#21 ·
I would like to see the 100 grain load pushed closer to the 2950 mark or so.....
Is that easily achievable with handloads? (I guess with comparable bullets since the 100gr. isn't available?)

#22 ·
yes, H loaded up some of the 100 accubonds with Arts powder and I believe he hit 2950 or 3000 in the 16 inch barrel....

#23 ·
Would that be a better round than the 110gr. going around 2750-2850? Also, how much wear and tear on your gun does running hot ammo actually do? Is there a substantial decrease in barrel life? Added stress to bolt?

#25 ·
It depends on how hot you go with the rounds, for hunting and such keeping it around 58K is fine for the faster shooting .mil type stuff you want to keep it around 52K IIRC.... I dont think either eill effect the life of your rifle much, most people will never shoot out a barrel, bolt life seems to be a very long time as I know H tests all of his rifles with the same bolt and his test loads are very stought.....

#26 ·
Very true, melting a barrel is kind of hard work if things are within specs to the ability of the rifle. Although what are your thoughts on 100gr barnes?

#27 ·
A 100 grain TTSX would be an amazing bullet......

#29 ·
If you guys get something together I would be willing to fly out and meet up, always ewanted to shoot prarrie dogs :D

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.