6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow 6.8 Fans I've been looking to get another press to help with the loading. My turret press just doesn't crank out enough ammo fast enough for 'mass reloading'.

So I'm going to keep the turret for 'precision reloads' and working up new loads, but I want an inexpensive progressive to crank out the practice ammo. I'm sure others of you are in the same boat.

Here is the issue. The Lee Pro 1000 looks like the perfect press for this kind of work. It's fairly inexpensive and it will work with the Lee FCD (unlike the Dillon I'm told).

Unfortunately they don't make a #21 shellplate for the Pro 1000. [:(!]

After talking with them (about some other products - which they were VERY helpful with quick responses) they are taking a 'wait and see' attitude with the caliber.

Here is the 'Fire Mission':

If you guys are also interested in an inexpensive progressive, I'd suggest you send Lee an email indicating you'll like to see a 6.8 option for the Pro 1000 (or at least a #21 shell plate).

Thanks.
-Forest

·
Registered
5 Posts
Forest,

Have you thought about using the #19 Shell Plate? This is the one for the 10MM/40 S&W, which was also based on the .30 Remington Case Head.

I have a Lee Challenger Press upstairs in the attic with all the bells and whistles, to include a set of shellholders. I'll go and take a look at the differences between the #19 and the #21 and let you know.

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Forest,

I am sorry to say that Lee did not make a #21 SH in 1993, when I got my Shellholder Set :(

That said, I did measure my #19 SH and this is what I found:

Rim Diameter: 0.420"
Extractor Groove Diameter: 0.349"
Rim Thickness: 0.053"

It looks like the #19 MIGHT be an ok fit.

You will have to talk to Lee on this because the fit might be a bit loose on some cases.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill I appreciate the effort.

In fact I had talked with Lee on this exact idea (I think I posted the conversation in the Kotonics forum on ARFCOM). They indicated it would not work.

·
Registered
13,963 Posts
I will rattle their chain. I spend alot of time loading for matches and the 6.8 cases are the base for the 30 HRT.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was just looking at this old post and thought maybe its time to try and rattle lee's cage again about this idea. Maybe if they get enough calls and e-mails theyll make one. I called them last week and they wanted me to pay 100 buck for a custom made one. Its worth it for me then i wouldnt have to order another press. But on the other hand they should just make one. There the only manufacturer of the progressive press that doesnt make a shell plate. If i didnt already own a loadmaster i wouldnt buy one for this reason. I think im going to call them once a day and hopefully theyll get tired of my calls and just make one!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I called Lee and the lady that I talked with said "the 6.8 SPC is a unique round and not many people shoot it". She also indicated to me that Lee had NO intention of making a #21 shell plate available; However, they would sell me a custom shell plate for a 6.8 SPC at a price of $100.00! :roll:

MS

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ya i know they told me the same thing. When did you talk to them?

·
Registered
255 Posts
yblow said:
Ya i know they told me the same thing. When did you talk to them?
About 10 min. before I posted the above post.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
As a joke we should all call them up onr day and ask when they will make the #21 shell plate. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Forest said:
Here is the issue. The Lee Pro 1000 looks like the perfect press for this kind of work. It's fairly inexpensive and it will work with the Lee FCD (unlike the Dillon I'm told).
I believe you were told wrong. I use a Lee FCD for .38 spec, 44-40, .223 and 6.8 on my Dillon 650... I did change out the lock ring for the smaller one that Dillon offers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just received my number 21 shell plate from lee for the 6.8. Threw it in the press and it works great.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It sounds like Lee figured out that the 40 SW shellplate as it is in every other PG press is the same dimensions. When the 6.8 first came out people figures this out for their Dillons. Dillon of course added a dif model number of the 6.8 so they could charge for both is someone ordered a .40 cal or 6.8 spc and had the other or ordered both at the same time. SO BEWARE or you will spend good money for a duplicate.

Personally I do not like Lee anything other than the hand primer and if you need it the FCD everything else is cheaply made but the price is certinaly something that makes it hard to pass up when looking. Hrdy LNL AP would be my suggestion and you get 1000 free bullets so it works out to be less than even a cheap single stage.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Reloading manul has NOTHING on 6.8 - WTF :a13:

·
Banned
6,750 Posts
Reloading manul has NOTHING on 6.8 - WTF :a13:
There is enough load data on this site for the 6.8 that you should never need a load manual, I do have several manuals that does have 6.8 but they are all puny loads that barley cycle my 6.8's with the starting loads and the max loads are way shy of max if you have an updated barrel.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Can't imagine where you heard that the FCD won't work with a Dillon press. Lots of us use FCDs with Dillon presses. I'd recommend the Dillon 550, if your budget's limited; otherwise, the 650 is what I use and would recommend to anybody.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts