6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very new to relaoding and so far I am REALLY enjoying it. Just ordered a case tumbler and it arrived today. I had some "clean" brass that i had washed with water, soap and vinegar, but when I ran some through the tumbler i was very happy with how clean it was. So i put some newly primed brass in the tumbler and cleaned it too. Here is the probably stupid question: Is it okay to clean brass with new primers in a tumbler? Is it okay to put loaded cartridges in the tumbler?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would not put primed brass in the tumbler as media could get stuck in the flash hole and/or interfere with primer detonation. As for loaded rounds, you will get both sides...some say it's fine and others say it's dangerous. I only wet tumble, so obviously I could not do it.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Loaded cartridges are OK to tumble. Just primed brass, NO!!! Flash holes will get media stuck in them and you will most likely contaminate the primer too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree, I would not put primed brass in the tumbler. In my experience the media will get stuck in the flash holeon up to 30% of the rounds.

I don't know enough to comment on cleaning loaded rounds. I don't see what the problem would be other than possible safety.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, I would not put primed brass in the tumbler. In my experience the media will get stuck in the flash holeon up to 30% of the rounds.

I don't know enough to comment on cleaning loaded rounds. I don't see what the problem would be other than possible safety.
Thanks a lot guys. Looks like I'll be depriming some brass. Thankfully its not a lot.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Loaded rounds are fine.

Same for the primed brass as stated above. Not a good idea.

Little tidbit of info. Go to the local feed and tack store and buy a 50lb bag of bird cage bedding. Use that as media and some cleaner like the Dillon brass cleaner. It'll save you a ton of money as cleaning media is a fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,648 Posts
Refresh my rememberer guys... is it corn cob to clean, and walnut shells to polish? Or visa-versa? I need to write this down and get some walnut shell media too. I hear pet stores, iguana bedding media is the way to go here.

I also need to test my Thumler's Tumbler Model B... and get some stainless media. (Old unit, inherited from a family member decades ago.)

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
I only use Walnut shell so I can't answer that.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Refresh my rememberer guys... is it corn cob to clean, and walnut shells to polish? Or visa-versa? I need to write this down and get some walnut shell media too. I hear pet stores, iguana bedding media is the way to go here.

I also need to test my Thumler's Tumbler Model B... and get some stainless media. (Old unit, inherited from a family member decades ago.)
Great stuff, doesn't get stuck in flash hole:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pellet-Pins-ULTRA-47-Stainless-Steel-Tumbling-Media-5-Expedited-Ship-USA-/291155353603?hash=item43ca362003

Corn cob polishes.

·
Super Moderator
21,648 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Very new to relaoding and so far I am REALLY enjoying it. Just ordered a case tumbler and it arrived today. I had some "clean" brass that i had washed with water, soap and vinegar, but when I ran some through the tumbler i was very happy with how clean it was. So i put some newly primed brass in the tumbler and cleaned it too. Here is the probably stupid question: Is it okay to clean brass with new primers in a tumbler? Is it okay to put loaded cartridges in the tumbler?
Wise question, pkk.
These get much more of the powder residue out that you'll see spoil your grain/nut/natural medium, and much, much more quickly: http://thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html Midway and the others sell the big B model, but google "rock tumbling" and you can get different models. I have the one with two, three pound drums and like it a lot. Can do 9mm and 10mm without cross-breeding that way, or any pistol/rifle combination. Indestructible.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts

Walnut is the better the cleaner. It's sharp walnut shells. Cob polishes. Hope you like the Thumbler. Nice outcome but a real PIA to work with. Get yourself a magnet too, you'll need it for picking up the pins.

·
Super Moderator
21,648 Posts
Walnut is the better the cleaner. It's sharp walnut shells. Cob polishes. Hope you like the Thumbler. Nice outcome but a real PIA to work with. Get yourself a magnet too, you'll need it for picking up the pins.
LOL... already have the magnets covered.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Just curious, are you mixing the soap and vinegar together? If so, do you know that they neutralize each other? So depending on the ratio, you are just basically using water with some other contaminants in it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just curious, are you mixing the soap and vinegar together? If so, do you know that they neutralize each other? So depending on the ratio, you are just basically using water with some other contaminants in it.
Yes, it was a receipt I found online. Now that I have the tumbler I wont be using that method anymore anyway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you guys sure it's a bad idea to tumble primed brass? What would be the harm in getting a little walnut dust on the surface of the priming compound? Doesn't the ignition of the compound start at the back of the primer? Is a little dust somehow going to prevent a good ignition charge from reaching the powder? Or a speck/grain of media stuck in the flash hole? Seems like it would be a non-issue? Granted, at face value it seems like there's nothing good about getting a little dust in there, but in reality, I'm not convinced it's as bad as some of you make it seem. Anybody with actual experience?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Listen to me. You'll get a different answer for every post. OK . . .

Would I tumble just primed brass = No

Would I shoot what has already been tumbled = Hell Yeah

WHY? Box O Truth did one of his fine tests and he has ZERO effects of flash-holes and bits of media.

Come on . . . it's a controlled explosion inside a small space. A little spec of corncob OR walnut ain't gonna make a damned bit of difference.

Just one man's opinion - based on some evidence and fact. YMMV

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Accuracy is about consistency. Especially consistency in brass prep. Just think of it that way. IMHO none of its unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts