6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you feel that the accubond is a better round than the prohunter. So my question to you folks is why and how much better? Specifically in SSA's line as I dont reload... yet.

·
Registered
170 Posts
an accubond is a better penetrating bullet.

For price, availability and accuracy I like the PH. I've use them for other cartridges too. My 7 mag when I had it loved the 150 gr PH. They shoot and work.

Hopefully I will have some deer slaying pics for you guys with 6.8 meets whitetail. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Put cost aside the Accubond is better in EVERY WAY.

Accuracy is as good

It has a much higher BC= LR accuracy more fps and energy at any given range

It is bonded= tougher

It has a lead core = good expansion

It has a polymer tip= no deformation / consitent expansion

It has a BT= better LR performance

It is longer= better sectional density= better penetration

Add cost back and for hunting th Accubond should be the choice every time but for anything but that the PRO. No matter how much hunting a person does the cost would never be a significant issue. Not counting varmint hunting which would use a differnt bullet anyways. The Pro Hunter is a very good killer regardless

·
Registered
39 Posts
A bonded bullet typically outpenetrates a non-bonded bullet because it retains more weight during penetration, ie: sectional density(SD). In the Accubonds case about 75%. The results of using a bullet that retains more weight is similar to using the 130 gr Pro-Hunter instead of the 110 Pro-Hunter at the same velocity.

Carrying that a bit further means that shooting a 110 gr bonded bullet from a 6.8 at 2900 might be very close in terminal performance to a 270 Win using standard cup/core 130s at 3000. I'd say at least close enough in performance to impress a deer.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I managed to purchase 100 rounds of PH plus a case for my new baby for 120 even from SG.

For the last few years my 270 has not taken a shot past 50-75 yards and has provided instant drops. So the LR aspect while great for most folks is not of great concern to me for hunting whitetails here in south eastern Kansas. Penetration likewise at the typical ranges I shoot is a non issue.
The one big factor that may make me consider the accubond is expansion/ weight retention. I have been lucky the last few years as I got a lucky tree limb that tumbled my round last year and caused an odd double wound channel from both the bullet and a chunk of rib that simultaneously destroyed vitals as well as spine. the year before a quasi sighted rifle shot a hair higher than expected and got another spine shot as well as 1 lung. So while I have been lucky I would prefer to have the right tool for the job.

At such short range as this will there be a noticeable difference between the PH and accubond in terminal efficiency? Or will it basically be a wash due to the sheer amount of kinetic energy delivered at such short ranges?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Honestly if I knew my shots were 200 or under I would use th 130gr SPeer or 130 Sierra PH. You can g them easily to 2500 in a 18" barrel and thy will have th same traj as the 110 PH out to 300 but the 130 will have a lot more energy and sectional density. Really though that deer is going to be just as dad with the 110 PHs and you will get great accuracy from them. Try 10x or H322.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts