1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
re-enforces what i thought and had been doing. thanks

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Not trying to be a contrarian, but isn't that article just a hair out of date? The basic information is OK, but it was published about 20 years ago. CCI was going through some primer changes about that time. Winchester has also been having problems with their primer line for the last several years with edge blowouts and piercing. Is there more recent data available?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I have seen it still holds true. If you use CCI400s, Rem 6 1/2s or Fed 205s in ARs and get cratering and pierced primers change to a thicker primer. I mean that would be the common sense thing to do.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
This primer info is still valid imho.
Take this information and update it with reports as they come.
Such as Wolf Magnum primers having a .025 cup thickness and non magnum brilliance. Which may help in non compressed loads to settle down a powder that's on the edge of being to fast for the load when pushing the edge.
Or reports of S&B component primers in recent batches piercing at times. Which also looks to have made its way to some production ammo batches.
Also add the Fed GM205MAR primer used in the Fed MSR ammo line and XM68GD ammo that is .025 thick cup and gives results close to the CCI450.

The basic thought that .020 thickness primers should be avoided in full floating pin gas guns is valid. While the use of .025 thickness primers in whatever flavor even without the CCI41 style anvil is safer is also valid.

My personal primer use is CCI450, CCI250, CCI BR-4 and Fed GM205MAR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts