6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang; I'm Starting to wonder if we will ever see primers on the shelves again or even able to order?
I see some powders and projectiles but Primers are a myth,
Wish some of the reloading component manufactures would get together and open another primer factory for reloaders.
I know; I know, I was just dreaming ..

Registered
patience. (I know that term sucks) things are starting to be present in LGS. Saw large rifle primers in Academy last week. Pistol primers 2 weeks ago. 馃馃徎

Registered
I bought two boxes of CCI large rifle mag primers at Academy yesterday. They had 6 boxes. Limit of two. Guy behind me bought two boxes as well.

Premium Member
Did Academy have 1k boxes for sale, or 100rd trays?

Registered
100 round trays. Couple weeks ago I stopped in a Fort Worth store and he said we have not had any in two years but the other Fort worth store gets them all the time. I was on my way home from work and hit the Weatherford store and got lucky I guess. Would have preferred the 1k box but I'll take what I can get. Still in search for small rifle primers.

Registered
They show up like ammo, and like ammo they dont last long. Had a friend in MS who got a whole pallet of primers in and sold them out in 2 days(in person sales with 2k limit and no proxy buyers).

Registered
There are only five manufacturing facilities that can produce primers that contain lead in the U.S. Only the primers that contain lead have any shelf life and can last years, that's why those five plants are grandfathered in with no new ones allowed to be built. Primer supply is artificially limited by government and why the free market can't easily meet the demand. A large amount of primers manufactured go to ammunintion for the military and other government contracts. Remington's main primer manufactuiring facility was closed down till recently due to finnancial reorganization(bankrupsy) but they are now producing both ammunition and primers again. Most primers being produced currently are going into loaded ammunition. The only reason you see any primers shipped to retailers or available for a few seconds, rarely, online is because Vista Outdoors(Federal, CCI and now Remington) realizes they have to make it look like they're doing something for their reloading customer. In terms of demand, they're really shipping out an insignificant amount of primers. Winchester is not from that group but they're doing the same thing, prioritizing loaded ammunition with a higher profit margin and sending out a minuscule amount for reloading customers.

Registered
I remember the absence of reloading supplies after the Sandy Hooke shooting happened. it took about 4 years for the market to stabilize and recover from the hoarding demand. As soon as that happened I began to stock up on supplies at the normal prices and am grateful that I bought what I did and wish I had bought triple that. A brick of primers was about $30-$35 and now between $200-$400.
After finishing my recent move to Montana I have been unpacking the boxes from my reloading room and storing the supplies on the shelves and can see that I have acquired more`of an inventory than any store than I have been in the past year. I squirreled away over 20K rounds of 22lr ammo and over 200# of powder and plenty of primers to last for a few years.
I almost fainted when I saw the prices of ammo around here today and it is still selling like hotcakes.
When & If this crisis ever settles down and prices return to normal then I will return to buying more supplies and ammo and I suggest to others to do the same without breaking the bank to do so.
I seriously feel for those of you that got caught off guard and cannot find ammo. This is what happens when there is such a large number of new members to the community. Imagine what trying to find beer in the store would be like right now if we had 10 million new first time beer drinkers flood into the buyer's market. It takes time to make beer as it does make powder, primers and such and it will take time to get production up to that demand need, it will not happen overnight.

Registered
Remember 6 months ago when Federal had a year backorder? I figure another year or two. If no major gun control passes and the R's gain the House and/or Senate, shelves will be stocked in 2023.

Registered
Without primers... your rifle is useless. Think about that shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
After Sandy Hooke occurred how long did it take for 22lr to make it back and at the new higher normal price?
We will just have to sit back and wait for the new normal after this BS. Ammo manufacturing is preplanned inventory with production runs as they do not want to overflood the market as that would drive the market value down. Do not expect dirt cheap ammo prices and expect ammo manufacturers to stay in business.

Registered
Without primers... your rifle is useless. Think about that shit.
If there's one thing I've learned from Covid, it's that the gun grabbers don't have to ban guns, they just have to say "oh, those primers are full of DEADLY STUFF. We must get rid of them immediately." and the gun industry would pretty much collapse on itself within a few years.

Super Moderator
If there's one thing I've learned from Covid, it's that the gun grabbers don't have to ban guns, they just have to say "oh, those primers are full of DEADLY STUFF. We must get rid of them immediately." and the gun industry would pretty much collapse on itself within a few years.
I don't think that is a valid premise though. All ammo manufacturers will tell you they are pumping out ammo in record numbers. How could they do that if they didn't have primers? The reason you see a shortage of primers on the shelf is due to hoarding. Manufacturers get their orders filled first. What is left goes on the retail market. Hoarding has caused the shortage, pretty much the same as with ammo in general.

Registered
I don't think that is a valid premise though. All ammo manufacturers will tell you they are pumping out ammo in record numbers. How could they do that if they didn't have primers? The reason you see a shortage of primers on the shelf is due to hoarding. Manufacturers get their orders filled first. What is left goes on the retail market. Hoarding has caused the shortage, pretty much the same as with ammo in general.
On top of what you are saying, Winchester and Vista are jacking the price of primers up to an almost 25% increase.

Super Moderator
On top of what you are saying, Winchester and Vista are jacking the price of primers up to an almost 25% increase.
They may be in the future but they have not so far.

Registered
They may have to raise prices to be able to afford incentives to get people to go back to work . I just saw Winchester ammo has employment opertunities in numouse positions .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts