6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

Recently purchased an ambush 6.8 and want to start reloading for it. I already load rounds for my .308 and 30-30. I am picking up some AA2200 to work up some loads and after I did a search on here I notice people are using a variety of different primers, i.e., cci#41, small magnum rifle, etc. Please let me know what you have found works best. I have a couple of thousand large rifle primers so I would have to buy some different ones if these others work better than the large rifle primers. Thanks in advance for your reply.

eric

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I use small rifle mag primers in all my 6.8 loads. Everything from CCI 41, 450, even tula 5.56m. They all work, but strangely I get better results from the cheaper tula. The velocity is a tighter spread. They all shoot accurate though.

As for the large primers I use standard remmy, just because I have alot of it. No issues there though too.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I did some recent primer testing and got the best accuracy and velocity with 2200 and #41. The #450's were a close 2nd. The 400's were flattening pretty bad when the others weren't. The BR4's performed well but aren't worth the added cost when the 41's performed much better for me. I haven't tried any other brands and don't need to at this time. I am well stocked on 450's and will be soon on the 41's. I did similar test for 223, and got the same results. Now I need to find a new home for 5000 400's so I can buy some more 41's.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Good morning,

Recently purchased an ambush 6.8 and want to start reloading for it. I already load rounds for my .308 and 30-30. I am picking up some AA2200 to work up some loads and after I did a search on here I notice people are using a variety of different primers, i.e., cci#41, small magnum rifle, etc. Please let me know what you have found works best. I have a couple of thousand large rifle primers so I would have to buy some different ones if these others work better than the large rifle primers. Thanks in advance for your reply.

eric

I'll verify what Wassman said. I use Remington brass, so I use the #34 mil-spec primer instead of the #41, but they're essentially the same. The 450 will work as well, and the LR mag is the 250. The 250 and 450 have a different anvil, however, so they tend to be a bit more sensitive than the mil-spec. The anvil thing has to do with slam fires; the mil-spec has a bit shorter anvil so it takes harder blow to set it off thus making it less susceptible to slams. Other than that, they are the same performance wise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. This is real good information and very helpful. Didn't know about the anvil shape difference. At least I know that I can use my LR primers until I can find some locally to avoid the dreaded hazmat fee. So, what is the technical difference between LR and SR primers?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Thanks everyone. This is real good information and very helpful. Didn't know about the anvil shape difference. At least I know that I can use my LR primers until I can find some locally to avoid the dreaded hazmat fee. So, what is the technical difference between LR and SR primers?

Diameter. .30-06, etc., uses large rifle. 5.56, small rifle. You can get 6.8 brass from Remington, which was the original, which uses LR, and they've never switched to SR. Hornady, SSA, and Federal use SR. LR = #34 primer, SR = #41 primer in mil-spec, and 250 and 450, respectively, in standard mag primers.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
In my experience, cartridges like the 6.8 with relatively high expansion ratios need hotter primers, regardless of which powder is used. This is to get the powder fully ignited before the bullet travels very far down the tube. For the small rifle primers - CCI 41, CCI 450 and Remington 7-1/2 all seem to fit the bill. I'm using 450s exclusively with excellent results and recently bought another box of 1000. - CW

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have always used Federal SR in both .223 and 6.8 with great results. However, I recently picked up 1000 CCI-450's just to see if there is a difference. 2200 is a 'ball' powder and I've read several places that a magnum primer is needed to insure complete ignition when using a 'ball' powder. Time to break out the chrono and do a nonscientific test!!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
On my 2200 loads in various small primer cases I have used the Remington 6 1/2's and the 7 1/2's. On the high intensity stuff I always go with the 7 1/2's. I got in a rut years ago and bought a LARGE quantity. I will try some others this fall but fornow at 110+ temperatures I don't want to do a whole lot of desert cogitation.

I have used quite a few Winchester SR's too and they are labeled magnum so that is kind of cheating..LOL

Greg

·
Banned
1,957 Posts
I have always used Federal SR in both .223 and 6.8 with great results. However, I recently picked up 1000 CCI-450's just to see if there is a difference. 2200 is a 'ball' powder and I've read several places that a magnum primer is needed to insure complete ignition when using a 'ball' powder. Time to break out the chrono and do a nonscientific test!!
With every AA2200 load I've tested and now use, magnum CCI450's have increased the accuracy of everything from 90's to 120's. Chrono wise I really don't know or really care that much but, the accuracy improvement was quite dramatic across he board with medium to moderate loads.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello Avetjx,

I have been testing my AA2200 loads with CCI 41's and Wolf 223 primers. (According it Wiedners the Wolf 223 primer is hotter than the Wolf SR mag primer). I have noticed negligible differences in pressure and/or velocity with either of these primers. I have been using some of the FC brass, which takes a bit of extra work to remove the crimp ring, and find the Wolf 223 primers load a good bit easier with my lee primer tool until the brass has been fired a time or two.

Regards,
Trapper458

·
Registered
436 Posts
Be advised that I have had 3 wolf primers fail to fully ignite the power charge resulting in having a bullet lodged in the barrel. Two of these were at the range and one in the field which caused me to miss a nice doe. I no longer use Wolf primers because of these three failures. However, I have used several thousand Wolf primers, in both 5.56 and 6.8, with great success in the past. If the three failures were with the same load I would have attributed the failures to something I did but they were with three different loads, loaded at different times and the other rounds loaded worked just fine. From now on I'm sticking with either Federal or CCI primers.

·
Banned
344 Posts
Be advised that I have had 3 wolf primers fail to fully ignite the power charge resulting in having a bullet lodged in the barrel. Two of these were at the range and one in the field which caused me to miss a nice doe. I no longer use Wolf primers because of these three failures. However, I have used several thousand Wolf primers, in both 5.56 and 6.8, with great success in the past. If the three failures were with the same load I would have attributed the failures to something I did but they were with three different loads, loaded at different times and the other rounds loaded worked just fine. From now on I'm sticking with either Federal or CCI primers.

Monkey were the 3 failures from a batch loaded during the same reloading session you did? And are you sure you didn't forget to charge them with your powder?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Necro posting but I have used wolf primers from this era. One needs to eyeball them good. I have had both primers missing the kernel of primer compound with an anvil over nothing and anvils that fell out.

I have not yet reloaded any 6.8 but am about to today. I know I have Wolf, rem 7.5 and probably cci 450.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Isnt the 41 essentially a magnum primer? Anyhow, I now have 26k, they're all I use, aside from the occasional BR4 and 450, just because I had to buy something at the time and those are what I got. Not related but I also just picked up another 5k of the S&B small pistol primers for a good price too, and 3lbs of 2200, 3lb of h322 and 1lb of R10.

Seriously though, I dont think you can go wrong with the CCI41s but like most things it's mostly personal preference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe so with a anvil with more room to allow a tap from a free float firing pin to not be able to fire on bolt close.

I got carried away and bought an eight pounder of AA2200 breaking my norm by buying a one pounder locally to work out things first. I had RL7 and IMR 4198. The AA2200 just sounded like the easy button with the lack of temp stability being the only downside. Just taking a break from case trimming.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I believe so with a anvil with more room to allow a tap from a free float firing pin to not be able to fire on bolt close.

I got carried away and bought an eight pounder of AA2200 breaking my norm by buying a one pounder locally to work out things first. I had RL7 and IMR 4198. The AA2200 just sounded like the easy button with the lack of temp stability being the only downside. Just taking a break from case trimming.
I've veen using BR-4's to start out. I only buy 100 at a time so $4 isn't a big deal. Curious to see how the federal brass wil do now that I have the swagger die to remove the crimp. Got plenty of brass abd bullets now. Finally got my own chrono.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts