6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I looked at the primer sticky and Ive seen several post mentioning the cci 400 and 450's. My question is whats a BR4? Im new to reloading and picked up what they had at my local store for a couple of bucks. I bought AA2200 and I have a swagger die coming (i started saving my brass got 225 federal cases). Will the BR4s work? Plan on using some 110 grain S&B's i got from cavity back. Also will be loading 10 and 9mm. (got everything for 10).

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Ok so I looked at the primer sticky and Ive seen several post mentioning the cci 400 and 450's. My question is whats a BR4? Im new to reloading and picked up what they had at my local store for a couple of bucks. I bought AA2200 and I have a swagger die coming (i started saving my brass got 225 federal cases). Will the BR4s work? Plan on using some 110 grain S&B's i got from cavity back. Also will be loading 10 and 9mm. (got everything for 10).
110 S&B's ?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
The BR4 is supposed to be made to more exacting tolerances than regular primers. Short answer is yea the BR4 will work. I have not found any real difference between them and the 450. I am surprised they were only a couple bucks...that is cheap for benchrest primers. If you are new to reloading then there are warnings out there about changing primers and to work the load back up again. I have never seen a huge difference in pressure or velocity between the primers I use, but would not question that it can happen.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've used BR4 with no problems. They are the same cup thickness as the #41's, like Drock said just supposed to be made as a match primer with more exacting standards and I would guess more consistent preformance. But they work just dandy for me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The BR4 is supposed to be made to more exacting tolerances than regular primers. Short answer is yea the BR4 will work. I have not found any real difference between them and the 450. I am surprised they were only a couple bucks...that is cheap for benchrest primers. If you are new to reloading then there are warnings out there about changing primers and to work the load back up again. I have never seen a huge difference in pressure or velocity between the primers I use, but would not question that it can happen.
they were $7.00 for 100

·
Registered
31 Posts
BR-4= BenchRest 4. I only ever use 41s but did have to buy a brick of BR-4s once, used some until I got my 41s and still have the BR-4s I saw no big improvement in anything. CCI 41s are a mil spec 5.56 primer and have a harder, thicker cup. Just bought another 10k for my 6 8 adventure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts