6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Been ghosting this forum for a while but I thought I'd speak up and give this primer size measurement chart for those that have brass with loose pockets. You can find a primer that will fill that pocket better than others and still have a thick cup for AR usage. See the chart. This is not me giving you an excuse to make up a batch of hot loads and rely on the primer to bail you out. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fishnfool...
But took you 21 months? Great chart, same one I use, just wish I could find update w/ 41s & Wolf primers.

Welcome
Thanks for the welcome guys. I've had my 6.8 about 2 years so I figured I'd read and learn for a while before I chimed in. Get some field experience, bench time, and run some handloads thru the chronograph first. It's hot and humid here almost year round so I have a small window each year for useable load development and data collecting on the range I built on my property. What's the famous quote? "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt".

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Great first post! I was just thinking about this the other day. I use TulA SRM primers. They measure about .1751

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great first post! I was just thinking about this the other day. I use TulA SRM primers. They measure about .1751
If someone could put a digital micrometer on a CCI #41 I'm curious about the specs. I don't have any.

·
Banned
781 Posts
Welcome to the forum Fishnfool186!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I've been using and they are on the upper end of the OD range and yet they get loose. What's odd to me is the primer pockets never give up on the other brands of brass before the necks and shoulders give out.
CCI #41 seems to be the optimal choice for oversized primer pockets in MSRs. Do you think you got ahold of some once fired brass that was previously loaded too hot?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Not likely since they came from LWRC and American Reloading with crimped primers. The ones from American were pull down new brass, shiny and clean on the inside. The LWRC were the same ones everybody else was getting. As for hot loads, I do run at the top of the safe zone, stopping short of craters and swipes. I love the accuracy potential of Fed brass, but it goes south way before my Hornady brass. I'll enjoy it will it lasts, since it was cheap, no great loss. Besides, most of it got loaded for SHTF stash!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not likely since they came from LWRC and American Reloading with crimped primers. The ones from American were pull down new brass, shiny and clean on the inside. The LWRC were the same ones everybody else was getting. As for hot loads, I do run at the top of the safe zone, stopping short of craters and swipes. I love the accuracy potential of Fed brass, but it goes south way before my Hornady brass. I'll enjoy it will it lasts, since it was cheap, no great loss. Besides, most of it got loaded for SHTF stash!
I stocked up on the FC 6.8 brass also when a seller on Gunbroker had them reasonably cheap. I haven't had a chance to load them a second time to see if they loosened up any. I might be looking for some CCI 41s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts