6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m debating on making a 1k purchase of ammo and wanted to know if anyone had experience with the PPU hp ammo. Is it small primer, are they crimped? I’m debating between PPU and S&B which I know is good brass. Lemme know. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
In general PPU is good ammo. I cannot say about 6.8 as I have not tried it. I have had no problems with the S&B that I have used. Wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I bought a bunch of ppu a couple years back Ppu bthp is surprisingly accurate in my 6.8s . I use it to get dialed in as it shoots same POA as my CBB 105 s . The brass is large primer and I don't save it . ___If you reload or have friends that do S&B is great brass and if you hunt and use factory ammo S&B is as good as any for deer . ___ So for range ammo to play with cheaper is better for reloading or shooting live targets S&B is the way to go.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
No PPU experience but S&B 110gr PTS ammo is some great ammo. SGA sells it for about $16/box but it maybe OOS right now. The 110gr FMJ is good ammo only diff being the bullet. Same great quality brass.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I shot a couple boxes breaking my barrel in; I found it to be good for the price. My experience with PPU in general is that the brass is good but the bullets not so much. I always get significantly better accuracy with my handloads using PPU brass than PPU factory loads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased 100 rounds then 500 and 1k last week. To me... it is as accurate in my 3 ARPs as the Hornady american. I get 2.5" at 200yrds. I bought the rifle line 115gr hpbt. Brass is good for 3x reloads. (according to my father who gets all my brass). On par with s&b. The S&B does not group as well in the ARP for me. Have not chronographed but from the shoulder it recoils harder than the hornady factory 110. I have only been out hunting once and did not have but a few of my usual sst handloads so I took 2 mags of PPU. We killed 7 hogs that night and I saw atleast 2 go down doa with the PPU. I won't say better but I will not be shooting hogs with anything else as long as the price is low on the PPU 115s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ppu

I’m debating on making a 1k purchase of ammo and wanted to know if anyone had experience with the PPU hp ammo. Is it small primer, are they crimped? I’m debating between PPU and S&B which I know is good brass. Lemme know. Thanks
Good ammo, I use it in my .30-06 7.62 6.8 5.56 .45 and 9mm. No problems over many years but still prefer my SSA ammo and I can't speak for reloading since don't reload.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
I don't have any experience with the PPU 6.8 ammo but do have some in European calibers. I reloaded 100 rounds of 7.35x51 and have shot maybe 20 and have no complaints. In fact just bought another 100 new 7.35x51 cases as they are the only manufacturer that I have found. I don't load this round hot as I don't use it much but it is more of a working curio and fun to play with. PPU has been around for a good while and loads a lot of different calibers.

If it works well in your rifle then there is nothing wrong with using it. If you reload, it does use large primers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1k of ammo these days is a pretty hefty investment .
Unless you found a screaming deal, I'd test a bunch of different loads to see what your rifle likes before buying like that.
I've made mistakes. You don't have to.

PPU seems pretty well regarded, but I've not shot any myself.
They have a few different loads. How it works in one rifle doesn't mean much in yours.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I haven't used PPU in my 6.8 yet, but I've shot plenty of PPU .300 BLK and 7.62x39. Never had a problem, always been consistent and surprisingly decent in the accuracy department. FYI, everything I shot was FMJ.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I purchased 100 rounds then 500 and 1k last week. To me... it is as accurate in my 3 ARPs as the Hornady american. I get 2.5" at 200yrds. I bought the rifle line 115gr hpbt. Brass is good for 3x reloads. (according to my father who gets all my brass). On par with s&b. The S&B does not group as well in the ARP for me. Have not chronographed but from the shoulder it recoils harder than the hornady factory 110. I have only been out hunting once and did not have but a few of my usual sst handloads so I took 2 mags of PPU. We killed 7 hogs that night and I saw atleast 2 go down doa with the PPU. I won't say better but I will not be shooting hogs with anything else as long as the price is low on the PPU 115s.
Also have an ARP barrel and have shot factory PPU 115gr BTHP. It is surprisingly accurate for a weak import factory load, however it is a bit slow. Spec is 2624 FPS for a 24" barrel, so a 16" barrel would net you ideally 2424 FPS based on their spec.

I chronographed it in my ARP 16" 3R Scout barrel just last week at 2409 FPS average, so it's on the slow side and does not meet Constructor's recommended minimum velocity of 2500 fps for 110 / 115gr. I'd relegate it to plinking or maybe some short range hunting use assuming their HP's expand similarly to Horanady's. It also has an ok horrible BC at .320 but given it's low starting velocity it sheds speed like a rock...hence why I say close range only for any sort of Hunting / SD use.

Given that it's nearly the same price as Horandy American Gunner 110gr BTHP (aka 110gr OTM developed as the military's general purpose load during their 6.8 SPC testing), I see no reason to use it over Horandy AG which is MORE accurate and MUCH faster.

Temp was 64 F, over cast day, so in hotter weather you'd get a bit more velocity, but the Hornady AG average in the 16" ARP 3R Scout barrel was 2569 FPS, I tested WC 110gr TSX, 110gr Hornady BTHP and 115gr PPU HPBT on that day. Advertised velocity is 2570 FPS for Hornady AG so literally right on the money from my ARP 16" 3R scout barrel. Highest recorded velocity for Hornady AG was 2608 FPS in that 16 shot average with the lowest at 2532 FPS.

The WC 110gr TSX was decent at 2505 FPS average and still meets that minimum of 2500 for a "combat" or hunting load in the 110 / 115gr weight from 16" barrels. But I was bit disappointed in the WC because it was advertised at 2600 FPS on the box from a 16" barrel specifically. I wonder if the ARP chamber / rifling have a negative effect on WC's factory copper loads? I bought the ARP due to it's advertised advantages in pushing higher velocities, but that may be primarily with hotter hand loads vs. lower pressure "safer" factory loads.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does POU still use large primers? If so, might be done thing to consider if you plan to reload or sell once fires brass.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dont know about their rifle brass, but the 10mm pistol brass is crap. I can only get one reload out of it and feel safe. I shoot their 170 for cheap plinking ammo, had a couple brand new factory loaded rounds case split. The rifle rounds worked for me, i used them till the local store stopped selling it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes they use large rifle primers. I don't presently re-load, so I was mostly looking for a cost effective factory load to tune / test / zero my new 6.8 ARP barreled piston (Adams Arms P-series) upper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts