6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Of h335, h322, r-10 which is your prefered powder? I have A2200 as well but I have far more of the others and the 2200 is my 90 gold dot powder, and I have alot of them.
I have 8lbs of h335 right now. Looking for max velocity for solid 300yd+ performance (expansion). I should also maybe mention the barrels will be a 14.5" and a 16", so short(ish) barrels. Definitely not 18" or 20" barrels so Im not gonna be seeing 2700fps on the chrono.

Ive read the bullet review thread but like all threads like it, while very informative, everyone has THEIR favorite. In general most people are seeing max velocities with 2200 but Im really hoping to conserve my last remaining 6lbs for my GD and TNT loads because I really like that powder for those bullets and cant either afford or find more 2200 right now. I definitely dont have enough of the 110's to do alot of testing with either, down to 500 or so so just looking for a nudge in the right powder direction is all.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I've tried maybe half a dozen different powders in my 6.8 SPC rifles. This case design needs a very dense powder with a particular burn rate. YMMV but in my case, A2200 worked out best for a compromise of accuracy and velocity in bullets ranging from 100 to 120 grains. H322 was 2nd best with perhaps an edge in pure accuracy. All the other powders I tried fell short, either not dense enough, e.g., LT-32, or in the case of H335, too prone to pressure spikes at near max loads. - CW

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, didnt have the opportunity to chrono them but I loaded 30 rounds of A2200 with 28.8gr and the hornady 110gr bullet and went to the 300yd range. It has stations at 50,100,200, and 300 yds and I dont know how but along with some fine groupings, probably the best Ive seen from this 14.5" barrel, I had almost spot on yet again the same POI as my 90gr GD and TNT loads with the same powder. Needless to say I was very happy. Happy with the results but also with the fact that MSS had A2200 in stock a week or so ago prompting me to get 5 more pounds and some Hornady 110gr hpbt bullets have been popping up here and there online so I got 500 more of those.

Next trip will be to chrono and to see how repeatable the previous results are.

Along with those loads I had loaded some TNTs over 28.5 and 29.0gr of H4198 to see how they compared to my A2200 load and at least yesterday I got pretty much identical POI yet again, no scope adjustments at all with any loads tested. Im only using a 6X Strike Eagle so not the best for shooting groups. While I like a good tight group as next as the next shooter that really isnt my "aim" for the 6.8 anyway, I want as much energy as I can cram into a torso sized area at 3 or 400 yards. Yesterday at 300yds I could smack an 8" hanging square plate with regularity, misses were right off of the edges.

It seems that 2200 is going to be my powder for the 110's as well as the 90's. I loaded some R-10 too but cant recall the charge right now but it was the worst performer of the day but still wasnt terrible. Neither of my barrels liked the V-max though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Is 110gr OTM still in production? For me, since I don't hunt, that was a good general purpose duty load with great glass performance. I thought they killed the 110gr OTM all together back in 2019...or was that just factory loads?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts