6.8 SPC Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
The only decreases I've noticed are in box stores that have moved away from being 2nd amendment friendly like walmart and dicks. Ammo is readily available at 2 other chain stores and at my local gun store in my area. It's not cheap but it's available. But I reload so i buy powder and primers local and brass and bullets online.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
I followed the 6.8 from its initial inception. I also followed the 6.5 G. Initially I was enamoured with the 6.5 G and had plans to get one. After being putting it off for a few years, I was ready to get one. However, I just happened to do a little more research. I kept coming across 6.8 SPC and 6.5G comparisons. To me, these two cartridges were very close, but then I noticed the barrel lengths. All of these comparisons were in a 24" barrel for the 6.5 G and either a 16" or 18" barrel for the 6.8 SPC. So, that led me to do more research on the 6.8 SPC. It didn't take long and I bought a 6.8. Bought my youngest one too. We love this cartridge. I carried an M16 A1, A2, A3 and an M4, and for a short time an M21 system (modified M14). I really favor this round over the 5.56. It would have came in handy in Afghanistan, those mud huts are hard as reinforced concrete. Did I say I love this round? I was waiting to get dome ammo on sale, but I haven't seen any deals since December. Not only that, since this virus has hit, its hard to find any in stock. Just ordered S & B 110gr PTS, but paid more than I wanted to. I guess it's past time to start reloading.
Depends on what you want it for and where you are. They still have some 6.8 here at my Ace hardware. I think they only have Hornady Match. I have more than enough for reloading ( 100 of CavityBack 120's, 400 S&B 100 FMJ, 300 once fired Federal brass).

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Before the virus hit, my local Academy had a good supply of 6.8 ammo. Now they don’t have anything. I’ve got enough 6.8 reloading supplies to last many years though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
The barrel lengths is what tipped my decision too. Being that the 6.8 performs as it does with a 16" and ever better a 12.5" barrel and gains little with more length was the deciding factor in my decision, that, and I hate the name of that other cartridge, Grendel, what an ugly and very uncool name.😉
Seriously, I dont want to be carrying any 18, 20 or 24 inch barrels, hell, I dont even wanna bench them if I dont have to, and I dont because the 6.8 gives me what I was after in a much, much more practical length tube, more lethality. And, I do reload so I can hopefully, some day take advantage of its potential.
Popularity, well, we are talking about it so it seems popular with us at least. We have talented people like H making the best barrels and bolts and everything else is just standard fare, mild or as wild as your wallet allows but it seems correct that the lack of quality full power ammo from ANY manufacturer seems to be the major limiting factor, theres not even that much variety of any decent 6.8 ammo, plenty of components though. Like others here that's what I've been stocking, loading supplies. 4lbs of h322, 4lbs or 2200, 3lbs of Reloader10, 8lbs of h335 and just ordered a few more pounds of each except the 335, plus a few pounds of Reloader7. 1K of the 90gr gold dots, 500 Barnes 95gr tsx, 300 110gr tsx, about 300 total of older Barnes X bullets in 100gr and 120gr, 200 120gr SSTs, ordered some 85gr tsx but havent got them yet. I also now have about 500 S&B cases plus 200 Hornady and 150 S&B made Hornady cases and about 75 Federal plus enough primers to totally use the barrel up, maybe.
I will admit though that I am intrigued by the 6mmARC but am going to wait to see what bugs develop with users and let them iron everything out before I plunk down any money for one.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts