6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
I built my first 6.8 in 2008 hoping it would become mainstream. That never happened but I’ve had over a decade of fun killing hogs and taking one doe per season. It’s the perfect round for my particular situation- 100-200 yard shots on hogs and deer with 120 SST. And by my sixth build, knowing who to buy barrels and furniture from, it’s so light and accurate that I don’t bother with my super light 2A Armament .308 ARs anymore. Which cost $2,500 each in parts. Hopefully ammo will remain available. But yesterday Hornady announced that a SOF unit has adopted the 6mm ARC as its new round. It’s a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6.0 mm. We’ll see...
The 6mm ARC will be a better target round than the Grendel but not as good of a hunting round as the 6.8.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
H, I've been thinking those same thoughts. With the release of the 6ARC I hope ammo makers will keep producing the 6.8 which I fear is going to slide into obscurity, I hope not, I've just began my adventure. I'm not going to run straight out and buy components for a 6ARC and I dont care who has adopted it, they can, and probably will, find that it's not perfect in some way or another, they'll find out which parts fail and which ones dont. When THEY work out the bugs, I may do just that, buy a 6ARC, but until then I'm placing it about in the same category as the 224 Val.
It does sound like a terrific round and if it delivers what Hornady says it will I'd be a fool to not have one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree the real reason is that no big manufacture got behind it and pushed - but it did get a lot of attention and quite a few made rifles for it. Here are some other reasons I think 6.8 remains the shooting world's step child.

1. Remington screwed it up. In commercial versions, it has low velocity for what it should be. We see the community improved it significantly.

2. It performs many roles well, but is an absolute master of none. If you were going to have just one rifle, it should be a 6.8SPC. Note that most cartridges are narrowly defined to do just one thing well, and suck at everything else. As if the people who make guns studied the golf club industry. This of course makes for very interesting copy for the gun writers and bloggers, who can brag up and create excitement and clicks on their videos for advertising revenue. The 6.8 is just too utilitarian boring for them.

3. The new AR platforms that supports .308 is only like an inch longer in the receiver. Steel cased blasting .308 could be bought for less than surplus (before COVID), new brass can be found on sale for less than 6.8SPC, and 6.5 Creedmor is the same price or slightly less than 6.8 SPC. (6.8SPC doesn't seem to go on sale). So for someone who is really looking to step up from the 5.56, moving up to one of the new, shorter receiver versions of the AR10 is a very attractive course of action as there is no question about the kill it dead right there reliability of the .308.

I will admit that my focus on 6.8 slipped when I found a SCAR17 at the local gun shop for such a low price that motivated me to buy a rifle and new cartridge I had no intention of owning (I had to remove a lot of spray paint). 7.62x51 is certainly not an "intermediate" cartridge like the 6.8 SPC, in fact in many ways it is overkill. But for my purposes, the distinction holds little value (I am not arming thousands of people - just me). I retain the two rifles because the very short one makes a superior PDW (superior to the 300blk in that role, although a 35 cal in the SPC cartridge case would be ideal), and my daughter is in love with the traditional carbine length one (where as the SCAR17 is too much for her - and to be fair, she would be just as much in love with that rifle if it shot 5.56, probably more so if she bought her own ammunition).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Some very thoughtful points David, and some things I had not considered because I have different frames of reference.
You're very right about the 6.8 ammo NEVER going on sale, except maybe the H AG stuff. Oh well. I'm finally getting my stuff unpacked and will start reloading soon.
What little I did get to shoot my new 6.8 I really enjoyed it, I enjoyed it being that intermediate caliber that it is, feeling like I had indeed stepped up from the 5.56 but not getting beaten up by a 30 caliber weapon.
Thanks for all of the insights folks.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I see the 6mm ARC having the same durability issues with bolts unless a person can put a JP High Pressure bolt in every build. I don't even understand why the 6mm ARC was developed when the TAC 6 was already figured out. Deadly accurate at long range and durable. I am using 6.8 for everything but subsonic use. From varmints to elk sized game it will do the job and slays hogs like a sledge hammer without having to carry the weight of an AR 10 in 308 plus night vision nailed on top. Most hog hunts I slip into my little poodle shooter gets odd looks till it begins to roar even with a suppressor and anchor hogs fast as can transition from one to the next. I officially have more 6.8s than any other rifle cartridge when surpassed 36 (yes I am a bit loopy but like to build) and it took a while to surpass my 5.56 rifles as have a fair collection of older Colts, Ruger GBs, etc, plus custom builds in 5.56. Have another pair of 6.8s (13.7" with pinned flash cans to make 16.1") on the bench now mixed in with AR 10 builds and shopping hard for more 6.8 Mini 14s.

Reactions: constructor

·
Registered
67 Posts
The first time i heard about the 6.8 was watching future weapons while I was in high school about 14 years ago and i was always intrigued. The first AR a bought was a 5.56 because I wanted a cheap plinking gun but I swore the next one would be 6.8. I ended up building a 6.8 and fell in love , to me it was a perfect balance of recoil and firepower. I think there's tons of misinformation about 6.8 especially when is comes to effective range. The worst thing in my opinion is the people that compare calibers by reading the info on the box ammo without ever mentioning the length of the test barrel or doing any chronograph testing themselves. I've had a few people doubt the 6.8 when I showed them the round but after shooting deer they all retracted their statements. By best friends is now begging me to build him once

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
I built my first 6.8 in 2008 hoping it would become mainstream. That never happened but I’ve had over a decade of fun killing hogs and taking one doe per season. It’s the perfect round for my particular situation- 100-200 yard shots on hogs and deer with 120 SST. And by my sixth build, knowing who to buy barrels and furniture from, it’s so light and accurate that I don’t bother with my super light 2A Armament .308 ARs anymore. Which cost $2,500 each in parts. Hopefully ammo will remain available. But yesterday Hornady announced that a SOF unit has adopted the 6mm ARC as its new round. It’s a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6.0 mm. We’ll see...
Several SOF units have selected specific calibers for their use. The ARC just appears to be the latest and probably won't be the last.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
And the order for those units will probably only number in the hundreds...

Another tool in the toolbox.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We may see a little jump in sales and a little bump in interest in the 6.8. This morning I see this on GunsAmerica,

·
Registered
361 Posts
We may see a little jump in sales and a little bump in interest in the 6.8. This morning I see this on GunsAmerica,

I still dont get the lack of accuracy from LWRC 6.8s. Not saying they done make a good gun, but if Im paying that kind of $$$$ I want a very accurate gun. 1.75, which is what they say they promise, isn't it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Brother I'm right there with you
Personally, LWRC rifles have never done a thing for me. I'm not saying th we yee junk but I just dont like them. I hate that stupid spiral fluting they just have to put on just about all of their barrels, and yes, I understand the science behind it, but it's just cheesey looking to me. Their six8 is another story though. It's the one non 556 cal gun that always interested me but never enough to even entertain cobbling together the funds for. I'd never give a company my money who supports a state like maryland. Why they just had to choose this S hole I'll never know. I live about 20 minutes from their facility and have never been there.
The author says he is recovering from a surgery and had to shoot non dominant hand and eye so possibly there is more accuracy to be had from it but you're right, you just dont hear alot of people associating LWRC and accuracy. Like you said, for almost 3k that sucker better be shooting one hole groups on the regular, and not with just one round either. Chris Bartocci of Small Arms Solutions reviewed this same rifle and some of the words he used in his review he rarely applies to many rifles so I ha e to have no doubts that at least this particular model of theirs is a top teir rifle. Chris loves it and Chris is extremely knowledgeable. He is what I consider an AR aficionado.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Have an LWRC from early days when they were first developing the cartridge and is marked 6.8 spc which I reamed to spc II. It is 14.7" and a tack driver. I think a big hinderence to the 6.8 is so many ammo companies will only load to spc pressures and not spc II for fear of someone making a mistake and causing a lawsuit. Till factory ammo shoots on a particular with handloads it's nearly impossible for those who don't reload to get the full potential out of the 6.8. Someone needs to man up and sell spc II ammo with a warning "not for 6.8 spc" rifles.

Reactions: Gutdoc

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
Brother I'm right there with you
Personally, LWRC rifles have never done a thing for me. I'm not saying th we yee junk but I just dont like them. I hate that stupid spiral fluting they just have to put on just about all of their barrels, and yes, I understand the science behind it, but it's just cheesey looking to me. Their six8 is another story though. It's the one non 556 cal gun that always interested me but never enough to even entertain cobbling together the funds for. I'd never give a company my money who supports a state like maryland. Why they just had to choose this S hole I'll never know. I live about 20 minutes from their facility and have never been there.
The author says he is recovering from a surgery and had to shoot non dominant hand and eye so possibly there is more accuracy to be had from it but you're right, you just dont hear alot of people associating LWRC and accuracy. Like you said, for almost 3k that sucker better be shooting one hole groups on the regular, and not with just one round either. Chris Bartocci of Small Arms Solutions reviewed this same rifle and some of the words he used in his review he rarely applies to many rifles so I ha e to have no doubts that at least this particular model of theirs is a top teir rifle. Chris loves it and Chris is extremely knowledgeable. He is what I consider an AR aficionado.
There are a few posts on snipershide and M4 carbine saying much the same. Daniel Defense, KAC, BCM should not be in the same statement as "precision". Their primary goal was "combat effective" not accuracy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It has died down in my area. most of the time I don't see much ammo for 6.8
Its all 300 blackout, 6.5 creedmoor, 308, and 223/5.56
Most people in my area that want a short barreled rifle get a 300 blackout and if they want more firepower they pick 6.5 creedmoor or 308. I've been seeing 16 inch 6.5 creedmoor builds of late.
Word of mouth and advertising has seem to have stopped for 6.8 spc ii as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ColtSeavers you hit the nail square on the head. Everytime I mention 6.8 around "gun savvy people" the first thing out of their mouth is why not a grendel, 6.5 is superior etc etc. Not an original thought in the bunch! Then you tell them their bolt is flawed making it fragile. BS !!! Gets em every time

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have both a Grendel and a 6.8. I see the merits of both in certain configurations. Currently, my primary hog gun is still the 6.8.

I would like to see the 6.8 get a resurgence of sorts. I really like being able to carry more firepower than a 5.56 in a rig that almost always weighs quite a bit less than a large frame AR platform.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I followed the 6.8 from its initial inception. I also followed the 6.5 G. Initially I was enamoured with the 6.5 G and had plans to get one. After being putting it off for a few years, I was ready to get one. However, I just happened to do a little more research. I kept coming across 6.8 SPC and 6.5G comparisons. To me, these two cartridges were very close, but then I noticed the barrel lengths. All of these comparisons were in a 24" barrel for the 6.5 G and either a 16" or 18" barrel for the 6.8 SPC. So, that led me to do more research on the 6.8 SPC. It didn't take long and I bought a 6.8. Bought my youngest one too. We love this cartridge. I carried an M16 A1, A2, A3 and an M4, and for a short time an M21 system (modified M14). I really favor this round over the 5.56. It would have came in handy in Afghanistan, those mud huts are hard as reinforced concrete. Did I say I love this round? I was waiting to get dome ammo on sale, but I haven't seen any deals since December. Not only that, since this virus has hit, its hard to find any in stock. Just ordered S & B 110gr PTS, but paid more than I wanted to. I guess it's past time to start reloading.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts