6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems to be there, though before getting mine I never ever heard jack about it. I didnt say so in my thread about my first range trip but actually saw some brass on the range line and knew my brass couldn't have been thrown that far, sure enough I saw the guy shooting his. He looked pretty intense and focused so I didnt disturb him. Then, yesterday I went to hang out with my fav FFL and I told him I had built a new rifle, a 6.8SPC. He got this funny look on his face and after a brief pause he said, me too. He goes to the back to his safe room and whipped out a 9 or 10 inch barreled piston upperd 6.8 pistol. Super [email protected]$$. It was like a loam green color, I actually liked it.
Wonder why it, the 6.8 gets no press and all the 6mm and 6.? do?

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
It does not belong to a manufacturer that advertises it. It was developed by the 5th group special forces.
IMO it is a better defense and hunting cartridge than the 6XXX or 6.5xxx.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
As previously said , no sponsor and also everyone who is up on modern cartridges knows if it isn't a 6.5 whatever it is not cool .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Never got the support from makers and sellers needed to get the publics' attention. Like the 224 val and 6.5 have.
It will stay around because much like the 10mm it's a damn good cartridge for hog hunting and other "stuff".
Think "red headed stepchild"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does Remington not support the cartridge? Some of the guys who were in on the development and or conception of the cartridge/ concept are bound to still be heavily involved in the shooting sports and could/ should be pushing with you guys who have been.
Funny how things succeed and some not so much. I think the 10mm analogy is spot on, at least to me, I absolutely love the 10mm, it IS a damn fine cartridge.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Does Remington not support the cartridge? Some of the guys who were in on the development and or conception of the cartridge/ concept are bound to still be heavily involved in the shooting sports and could/ should be pushing with you guys who have been.
Funny how things succeed and some not so much. I think the 10mm analogy is spot on, at least to me, I absolutely love the 10mm, it IS a damn fine cartridge.
Notice it is not called the 6.8 Remington . Remington didn't want their name on a "looser" . If they were smart they would have improved it and pushed it to the civilian market but Smart and Remington are not normally used in the same sentence .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Remember the 30 Remington AR.........RIP....
When I was looking for a suitable AR based hunting round, I had narrowed my choice down to the 30 Rem and 6.8 SPC. I almost pulled the trigger on a 30 Rem upper based on all the glowing gun rag reviews but lucked out upon a good local deal for a gently used 6.8 rifle with 20” target barrel, optics, reloading dies, brass, load data, and more. Best gun related decision that I ever made...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 270

·
Registered
361 Posts
I remember hearing about the idea of the 6.8 when I was in service, so I decided to make my own. Its not advertised much. My local hardware store carries some 6.8 ammo. None of the gun shops Ive been to do, though they know about the 6.8

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See, already learned something today. I thought the big R was heavily involved with the development and support. I will whole heartedly agree with yall though about Remington, they just about suck anymore. I screwed up and bought one of their 870DM shotguns. Tell me this, what good is a mag fed shotgun with only 1 magazine? What? Just go buy more mags you say. Yeah, you cant find them. It took me almost 6 months of waiting and searching to find any. Why then did I buy it you ask, $170 is why.
Yeah, I guess I was already told that it had no corporate backing.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
The 6.8 SPC is a great cartridge that can fill a lot or roles. Not very many uses around here out side of hunting seasons. No big hogs to down, coyotes compete with wolves so they tend to be down in populations. Most off season use it gets for a few coyotes that get past dad's coyote killing horse or feral canius familarus that same with wolves in the area not much having to deal with much now. BUT the few times i had to use it on the latter and some on the former, its a dang good to have a fast shooting light recoil problem critter killer.

With the .224 Valkyrie out on a 6.8 SPC base cartridge, my meager Tactic-Typing Google Foolin around I think there are easier to find mags and bolts now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Literally everything touched by Remington is dysfunctional in some way, except maybe their shotguns which they can't screw up too badly. They would do the world a favor by ceasing to exist.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a very early Wingmaster I think from the 50s or 60s that someone swapped the barrel out for a 20" with rifle sights on it, let it rust a pit pretty bad in the receiver that I just love to shoot, much more than the new DM I bought. I just dont like that gun. On the old wingmaster I had alot of fun blocking the receiver with a steel block and various grits of paper and refinishing it, and the wood. It has the actual cut checkering on it even.

·
Registered
113 Posts
BillB..Remington did have a hand early on, in cartridge and chamber design. Then they made mistakes in the specs and created unsafe pressure which killed the round for military consideration. Best I remember at least.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sigma, gotta agree on your choice. My first hunting AR was nearly a 30 Rem AR but luckily for me a fellow shooter offered me his 6.8 for a great price so he could get a Rem 30. His 30 AR is long gone but I still have my 1st 6.8.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I built my first 6.8 in 2008 hoping it would become mainstream. That never happened but I’ve had over a decade of fun killing hogs and taking one doe per season. It’s the perfect round for my particular situation- 100-200 yard shots on hogs and deer with 120 SST. And by my sixth build, knowing who to buy barrels and furniture from, it’s so light and accurate that I don’t bother with my super light 2A Armament .308 ARs anymore. Which cost $2,500 each in parts. Hopefully ammo will remain available. But yesterday Hornady announced that a SOF unit has adopted the 6mm ARC as its new round. It’s a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6.0 mm. We’ll see...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts