6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a LWRC 6.8mm piston upper and was referred to this forum by someone in the LWRC 68 forum. I am a former Marine who liked at M-16 ergonomics but hate the underpowered caliber and the direct impingement action. I had a plan to upgrade an AK47 into an M4 wannabbe like Krebs Custom does, but when I looked at the change I would be dropping and the proliferation of piston AR uppers out there now, I decided to go with a piston AR upper. I am having Spike's Tactical build me a lower (with an Eagle Globe and Anchor laser etching! oo-RAH :D ) and a dedicated 22 upper which will be my practice piece. I ordered the LWRC M6A1 upper with the 14.5 inch barrel and permanent flash hider which should be ready around the end of September -- the Spike's Tactical lower and .22 upper is supposed to ready by August.

This rifle will be my general purpose arm for hunting medium-sized game and I hope to start participating in tactical rifle competitions. I was initially attracted to the 6.5 Grendel but as the rounds have developed I think the close-hold on licensing the Grendel will make it difficult to find, while lots of folks are making 6.8mm uppers. Also, real-world operators made the 6.8 for practical combat and hunting distances , which is appropriate for a short-barreled general purpose rifle. The great thing about the Ar platform is that if I want a dedicated long-range upper in some flat-shooting caliber, i can get one -- through the mail with no FFL! Same if I want a pistol-caliber CQB upper -- it's a very versatile platform! They even make big boomers like the 50 Beowulf and 458 SOCOM!

I recently left government where I was working as a counter terrorism adviser to some friendly oil-producing Middle East governments, and I went through some cpersonal security courses at Blackwater prior to going overseas. I did pretty well in the training and really enjoyed it -- I was in the Marines twenty years ago so it had been a long time since I did that kind of thing. I have stayed in touch with my instructors and they are advising me on the rifle build -- they recommend an ACOG with a red dot for an optic for a GP rifle.

I am now located in Houston where I work as chief security officer for an international oil and gas exploration company. Now that I am out of government I can afford a fancy rifle FINALLY! :D

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Welcome!

If your looking for big bore AR's the 458 SOCOM IS THE BIG BORE to be hand, the little guy won that development game... many impartial people say this over and over at various trade shows...

I encourage you to consider one from www.Rockriverarms.com or from the guy who made the round himself, www.teppojutsu.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts