Votes: 19 31.1%
  • maybe

Votes: 15 24.6%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've already had a few polls about long receiver sets and stuff, here is one more.
How many would be interested in a billet long load receiver set if it was much less than $700?
We don't know a finished price yet but lets say $400 as an estimate maybe 350.
I am not making them and my name will not be on them, I just like to ask questions. Just curious how many more would purchase if the cost was less.
In the other poll apx 55 said they would buy a LWRC set at $700

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
For me personally. I would for a cat but not for the 6.8. I think the 6.8 is good just like it is. I never really saw the need to load heavy bullets longer in a 6.8 case. Heck I have one of your 270AR barrels. Now if you could fit a 6.5x47 Lapua case in a AR15 size lower with a bigger mag well and load that Lapua case with a 270 bullet? Now that would be something to think about, after figuring out what to do about mags.

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a few ways it can be done. At that price, sure 2.4 wouldn't be a problem. If someone did it they couldn't make them like the LWRC to use magpul mags.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Just spitballing (I'm not an engineer or gunsmith). Is it easier to make something so that the AR10 platform can use some AR15 calibers? They have existing mags, uppers, lowers, etc. I know everyone use to say that weight was the reason not to go with AR10, but it seems like many companies are offering light parts for AR10/308 platform. It seems futile to create another uber-specific platform that requires so much new creation of mags, uppers, and lowers. If not, I will trust you, I just have been baffled by this.

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just spitballing (I'm not an engineer or gunsmith). Is it easier to make something so that the AR10 platform can use some AR15 calibers? They have existing mags, uppers, lowers, etc. I know everyone use to say that weight was the reason not to go with AR10, but it seems like many companies are offering light parts for AR10/308 platform. It seems futile to create another uber-specific platform that requires so much new creation of mags, uppers, and lowers. If not, I will trust you, I just have been baffled by this.
yes I agree most just want it easy.
I see the issue as most want to use the AR15 lowers they have 10 of. Well we can't use the lowers because they ARE the restriction. When we do something new it means buying all new parts...exactly what no one wants to do. Most don't want to buy AR10 receivers because they already have 10 AR15 receivers. Shoot most don't want to buy a different size bolt. They say " I'd rather have this anemic 30cal BO and use my old 8 year old $40 5.56 bolt than build a 6.8 and have to buy a new bolt" How many times have we heard that? Round and round we go.

We can design and make anything there just has to be a market for it.
There are ways to do things for less money. I'm not saying I will do it just saying there ARE ways.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i am/was keenly eyeing the nextgen, but without a dedicated lower and a rail that is easy to mount it got moved to the back burner. i have a lot of tools, but i'm not a shop set up to do anything other than minor to low medium smithing. i would be interested in a larger frame upper/lower combo that could be controlled by the mag well, with inserts perhaps to change max length to a different caliber, if that makes sense

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
You never know H. Who could have predicted this new rise in LR shooting. Seems to be getting very popular. The Carcano case you talked about with a 118gr bullet at 2800fps with a .500 BC would fit right in.

Plus look at all the new cats that are sprouting because of LR shooting.

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
191 views and 17 votes. Mods, pretty sure you can shut this one down any time.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
there are always more "guests" viewing the board than members, need a stat for how many total members visited or posted on a daily basis to determine usage

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
i am/was keenly eyeing the nextgen, but without a dedicated lower and a rail that is easy to mount it got moved to the back burner. i have a lot of tools, but i'm not a shop set up to do anything other than minor to low medium smithing. i would be interested in a larger frame upper/lower combo that could be controlled by the mag well, with inserts perhaps to change max length to a different caliber, if that makes sense
Get a Quentin Defense QD8 lower, AR15 BCM KMR rail and a few small lower parts for the big frames, you are ready to rock. I can't remember if the cheaper Aero AR10 lowers were fitting good but I know the QD's do.

H, sorry for the derail. I think we got everything covered with a standard AR15 and those who want more can step up to the Nexgen type frame. When you handle both, there isn't much difference until you focus on the mag well. Even then you got to give to get, bigger mag well=more power.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So just what is the Nexgen? I miss that one completely. While I'm at it which one of Harrison's barrels 5R or The Triad will shoot 130 grs?

RJ

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So just what is the Nexgen? I miss that one completely. While I'm at it which one of Harrison's barrels 5R or The Triad will shoot 130 grs?

RJ
Either barrel will shoot 130s but the Triad may stabilize 130s and long copper alloy better.

The Nextgen is a lightweight 308 upper made to fit DPMS style 308 lowers. 308, 260, 6.5 creed etc. Complete rifle weighs apx 7lbs.

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get a Quentin Defense QD8 lower, AR15 BCM KMR rail and a few small lower parts for the big frames, you are ready to rock. I can't remember if the cheaper Aero AR10 lowers were fitting good but I know the QD's do.

H, sorry for the derail. I think we got everything covered with a standard AR15 and those who want more can step up to the Nexgen type frame. When you handle both, there isn't much difference until you focus on the mag well. Even then you got to give to get, bigger mag well=more power.
Right, they don't feel much different to me either. Guys on the hide always complain about ar10s not shooting right or they feel odd or something.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
We've already had a few polls about long receiver sets and stuff, here is one more.
How many would be interested in a billet long load receiver set if it was much less than $700?
We don't know a finished price yet but lets say $400 as an estimate maybe 350.
I am not making them and my name will not be on them, I just like to ask questions. Just curious how many more would purchase if the cost was less.
In the other poll apx 55 said they would buy a LWRC set at $700
H -
If we were able to put our hands on a receiver set that allowed loading to 2.4" to 2.42" OAL, AND a reliable metal mag with 15 round capacity, this would be a serious upgrade to your 270AR - or the 308 cats. At <$400 for billet receivers, this would be a deal.
-
I built your 30 Herrett barrel on my Six8 upper/lower set - the Magpul Pmag works fine with the 30 Herrett, up to 2.300" OAL.
Any case greater in diameter than the 6.8, or 6.8 cat - is completely worthless in the Pmag. This requires a metal mag to run 2.4+" for the 308 cats..
-
I am working with Olympics UMAR lower, and 22-250 mag with its 5 round limitation.
5 dummy rounds of 270AR at 2.420" will load in the mag, and are presented to the chamber. Standard carriers will not work with the Olympic 22-250 mag without modification at this point.
At $517 for the lower and one 22-250 mag, this should work with mods - but sounds like you might/will have a Much better option.

Dennis

·
Registered
707 Posts
I would definatly be interested. I could see a lot of other people being interested too. Not just us 6.8 guys. To make it more marketable pitch it to the other ar15 calibers. I would like to get one for wildcats and one for a 6.8.

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
H -
If we were able to put our hands on a receiver set that allowed loading to 2.4" to 2.42" OAL, AND a reliable metal mag with 15 round capacity, this would be a serious upgrade to your 270AR - or the 308 cats. At <$400 for billet receivers, this would be a deal.
-
I built your 30 Herrett barrel on my Six8 upper/lower set - the Magpul Pmag works fine with the 30 Herrett, up to 2.300" OAL.
Any case greater in diameter than the 6.8, or 6.8 cat - is completely worthless in the Pmag. This requires a metal mag to run 2.4+" for the 308 cats..
-
I am working with Olympics UMAR lower, and 22-250 mag with its 5 round limitation.
5 dummy rounds of 270AR at 2.420" will load in the mag, and are presented to the chamber. Standard carriers will not work with the Olympic 22-250 mag without modification at this point.
At $517 for the lower and one 22-250 mag, this should work with mods - but sounds like you might/will have a Much better option.

Dennis
The UMAR is probably the best option for the big cats at this point, too bad the mags are so expensive and only 5 round.
2.35 is pretty easy and cheap. New lower and a mag mod. That length will work with standard uppers.
Anything beyond that will require both lower and upper receiver and the price pretty much doubles.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i'm thinking to reach the average buyer anything offered needs to be turn key, not shade tree. gotta keep it simple, some of us like to tinker, most do not imo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts