6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
9MM cause I allways wanted an MP5 but will never be able to afford one. PSA has glock mag lowers now. 9mm is cheap to shoot. You can put a can on it with 147 gr ammo and it's reaaalllll quiet.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
What is the usage of said pistol? SD, hunting,shtf,...super sonic, sub sonic, length of barrel, intended target distance .....lots of factors

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't really see the draw to any of those three calibers.

I went with 223/5.56 because it's cheap to buy/build and play with. Might get a 6.8 upper at some point, but don't see any benefit (for me) of a 12-14 inch barrel over the 16" barrel I currently have.

If I were going for a pistol caliber I'd have to go for either a 9mm or 460 Rowland. The 9mm because components and ammo both are affordable and readily available. It's also a proven as a viable option for PCC and a proven to work well in the AR platform. The 460 Rowland because it can safely chamber and fire 45 acp and 45 super as well. I'd mostly use it with ACP, but knowing that I had the option for super or Rowland as well would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
9MM for me because of some of the reasons stated. It is relatively cheap to shoot and very effective for close range.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guess I was intentionally vague. just wanted folks to chime in on what they built and why.
thinking mainly SD, SHTF, and just plane fun to shoot. I do reload, and this would be my first pistol build.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
guess I was intentionally vague. just wanted folks to chime in on what they built and why.
thinking mainly SD, SHTF, and just plane fun to shoot. I do reload, and this would be my first pistol build.
I would seriously consider a pistol in 9mm for the reasons you described.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
is the pistol craze premised on if SHTF conversion to an SBR?

pistols i may or may not own would include;

1. S&W 686 with 4 barrel in 357
2. Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911 in 45 ACP
3. Hi-Standard Military Model HD (made in 1946) in 22LR, it thinks it's a rifle

never been a fan of 9mm pistols

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts

My reason for building a pistol is for easy conversion to SBR once the stamp is approved. I used to not be a fan of 9mm pistols either but they have made a lot of improvements in powders and bullet design in the last 40 years. I think a 9mm with an 8" barrel should be pretty lethal and it takes 32 round mags giving me a lot of firepower. It is going to be right at 6lbs fully loaded with optics, light and laser sight which is about where you start with a bare bones AR with no sights, mags or ammo.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Pistol build, what caliber & why

My reason for building a pistol is for easy conversion to SBR once the stamp is approved. I used to not be a fan of 9mm pistols either but they have made a lot of improvements in powders and bullet design in the last 40 years. I think a 9mm with an 8" barrel should be pretty lethal and it takes 32 round mags giving me a lot of firepower. It is going to be right at 6lbs fully loaded with optics, light and laser sight which is about where you start with a bare bones AR with no sights, mags or ammo.
Exactly!

A 9mm AR pistol or SBR would give you superb firepower in a SHTF, SD or home invasion situation. I have 2, 6.8 pistols, one will remain a pistol, for hunting, the other is awaiting form 1 approval. My next SBR just may be a 9mm AR.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Almost finished. Still waiting on the KAK Flash Can (which will likely be replaced at a later date with a suppressor). The can will stick out about a half inch past the end of the hand guard. Need to mount the optics. Going to try out the Vortex SPARC II on this one for daytime use. The laser will be used for low light or night use.

BTW, I love the Gen 3 MI hand guards. The G2 were great but they made them even better with a new style nut that does not require timing for the gas tube. Available in keymod or Mlok. I like the looks of the Mlok better but the keymod is a lot better functionally as far as adding accessories in my opinion.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
like the shockwave arm brace much more than the sig. how many options are there out there for arm braces?

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you have a suppressor, a 300blkout running subs is one fun gun. I'm running an 8.5 inch barrel, it is small and quiet. It's a blast for close distance plinking, and since you reload you can shoot a lot for pretty cheap. I'm only running 10 grains of powder per cartridge and have been finding 220 grain SMK blems for a reasonable price. If no suppressor I would not even consider the 300.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Might be for some people. For me it was the coming of 41F. I'll still do more tax stamps in the future, but it was much easier to meet all the requirements for submitting a form one before it went into effect. I already had all the regular full length rifle barrels I intended to own, an SBR was the next logical step. Knew that as long as I have a pistol/sbr upper around, I was also going to have a dedicated pistol lower around so I started on building that first. While doing that I though about what caliber I wanted for an upper (really wanted pistol caliber) and decided on a 45 acp, but can't afford it right now. Looking for a second choice I decided that I wanted a shorter 223 barrel, the 20" I've got is a little long and impractical for most of what I do, then add an 8-10" silencer on on the end... So I decided to go with a 10.5" 223.

I really want to do pistol caliber uppers as well, but not really liking the build options at the moment. Don't want dedicated lowers just for those calibers or having to take them apart to remove an adapter block every time I want to change uppers. Seems that every company that makes components for these is going one way or the other. I'm starting to lean towards a Mag-Tech in 460 Rowland instead of an AR build. It's about half the price and uses a 1911 receiver and magazines which I've already got.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Pistol

.300 BO perfect for 8-9" inch barrels. 6.8, from AR Performance of course, for a 12.5". I just built a 8.5" 300 BO. Just under 25" with a 8.5" KAK barrel, ALG Defense 10" (EMR) V2 M-LOK handguard, Kaw Valley Linear Comp, Strike industries S-Link Angle Grip, Shockwave Blade and Tube, Bravo Company PNT Trigger Assembly, Hogue grip(finger grooves). Still need sights/optics.
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Airsoft Technology Wheel Games Machine

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
For me I guess it's a little of both.

I'm looking for something to put in my "get me back home bag" and had myself convinced a 9mm, 45ACP or 10mm carbine with mag compatibility with my handguns was the way to go. Now I'm debating if I should go a bigger in caliber and smaller than a carbine in size with less concern for mag compatibility. There's a slim chance I might SBR it in the future and to me starting with a pistol seems a lot easier. Still haven't made a choice between 6.8 or 5.56 yet...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts