6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.8 with a pinned A2 flash hider and would like to get into a suppressor for it. My question is, would it be possible and worth it to pin a quick detach device? I'm not married to the 14.7in barrel but like the idea to keep a shorter rifle. I have thought about just getting a 16in barrel and try to remove the flash hider and swap everything over to keep the cost minimal. This is primarily a hunting gun, with range duty to keep familiar with it(I've had it for a year and a half and have about 200 rounds through it.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
If your pinned and welded A2 flash hider is properly pinned and welded then removing it will ruin the muzzle and portion of the barrel. That's the whole point and the ATF doesn't like them done any other way!

You will be much better off starting with a new barrel. You can still go with a short barrel. Just have a suitable flash hider, one that meets your "quick detach" suppressor requirement, pinned and welded to comply with barrel length requirements. Shorter barrels are especially handy for use with suppressors because of the weight and length the suppressor adds to the end of the barrel.

As a plus, you should have no trouble selling your current pinned and welded barrel. Many people are looking for those. I myself may even be interested, depending on the contour and gas block.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Pinned/welded flash hiders are successfully removed very often...if you aren't comfortable with the process then take it to a gunsmith or machinist

Removing one should not damage the crown or threads if done properly.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I'm sure I could do it, just a matter of whether I want to pin a new one or just get a 16in barrel
Supposed to use a hardened pin then tack weld the pin to the md is fine. There is actually a full description on the atf website on approved methods, wise to read up on it.

Many times, people use the non fluted end of a drill bit for the pin as they are made of hardened steel...the challenge is removing the old pin without boogering the threads. Grinding the tack weld and removing the pin will pretty much ruin your old flash hinder , you should be left with clean threads and a shallow hole where the pin was once it's removed.

I have seen lots of home dremel jobs screw up the threads though so be careful if you attempt it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could leave the A2 flash hinder and buy a Griffin 30SD suppressor. They attach to usgi spec flash hinders.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/30SD-762mm-QD-Silencer-p/ga30sd.htm
I had seen the original one they made and thought that they no longer made this system. Two things with that though, are the A2 for 7.62 and 5.56 the same externally? What are the specs for the USGI A2 government contract compliant muzzle devices? Even if I had to pin a new muzzle device, the griffin ones come ready to be pinned.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
I had seen the original one they made and thought that they no longer made this system. Two things with that though, are the A2 for 7.62 and 5.56 the same externally? What are the specs for the USGI A2 government contract compliant muzzle devices? Even if I had to pin a new muzzle device, the griffin ones come ready to be pinned.
If you ever notice when you see one that has an A2 pinned to make it legal it is a 14.7" barrel. 14.5" plus an A2 will leave you just a few tenths short.

·
Registered
21 Posts
$200 if you have an sbr that you pin a surpressor on. Only one tax stamp instead of two. I guess you could add to that the cost of the muzzle device that you didn't have to buy.
How much do you really save in cost if you go with a pinned silencer?
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts