6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from MN. I was using 100 gr Accubonds on 30gr of AA2200. Got an 8 point buck that was close to 200 lbs. One of the biggest I've ever shot. Something spooked him, and the deer was about 60 yards out and running to my left. picked an opening in the trees and shot. Bullet hit his left elbow, went through the sternum, then blew his right shoulder completely apart. I saw the blood spray on the snow from my stand. 3 inches higher and farther back would have been perfect.

Had the P&S camera handy while quartering before we rinsed him. Not all the pics were in focus. Here's what I've got:

Entrance wound in the brisket:

Through the sternum:

And the exit:

I've generally had clean chest or neck shots in recent memory with little or no meat loss. This was an eye opener on how devastating this little round can be. One of the guys didn't believe this was anything less than the 30-06.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Looks like the 200 lb Muley I shot in Idaho with my 7mm mag and a 175gr Grand Slam. That bullet path usually ends up wasting a couple pounds of meat but they don't go far. Actually, I've had archery shot deer end up with almost as messy a shoulder as that.

L

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yep gotta love them Accubonds. Right now I use the 100gr for pigs. The Accubonds will destroy meat. This is what I did to 8 pigs two weeks ago with the 100gr ABs.

I try to make head or neck shots to save meat. Mostly neck shots. That one sow with her head hanging off the tail gate of my truck, I shot her between the eyes. The bullet exited just behind her right eye and the bullet still destroyed most of the neck meat. The 110ABs work just as good.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Here is another pic

I saw hair in the cactus and mesquite as this group of pigs were running. I touched off a round and hit that little pig on top with a 100gr AB. Gut shot the little pig from the left side. If you look close you can see the rear right leg just hanging there. Only strands of skin keep the leg from just falling off. I use to carry my gun with a single point sling. I don't like the barrel pointing at my feet at times. If I had a AD and shot my self in the foot, I would probably die in the woods. I only use a two point sling. Keeps the muzzle off to the side. I have a nick name for these bullets. "wicked"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.