6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been missing Tim Hicks at Cardinal Armory/Ko-Tonics and have decided to pick up where he left off. I'm planning on runs of 18" and 20" barrels from ER Shaw identical to Tim Hick's barrels. These will have 4-groove 1-11" rifling, but be in stainless which will keep the cost down and eliminate the chrome lining problems that Tim had.

I've talked to Shaw and the barrels will ship sometime in the later winter or early spring. Taking pre-orders now. No funds required until Shaw starts to make the barrels. I just need to get an idea of how many people are interested.

Details on the barrels here:

http://bisonarmory.com

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think if you do SS and in SPR profile you can find a nice void to fill, my Cardinal barrel is SS 18 inch and I love it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's just what we'll do. Then it comes down to which 20" barrel to make. SS fluted same as Tim Hicks? We're not going to put a finish on our barrels, just leave them unfinished SS, btw.

We're going with mid-length gas ports on our 18" barrels, same as Tim H. I'd like to get some feedback from potential customers here as to where they'd like the gas port to be on the 20", and what diameter for the gas port.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Post the question in 68 discussion and see what people say.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
carnaby said:
Then it comes down to which 20" barrel to make. SS fluted same as Tim Hicks?
Yes...same configuration with a rifle gas port.

Kerry

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was just logging on to ask about this very thing. I am leaning towards the Vltor VIS upper with the perminately attached free floating rail. Why wouldn't you finish the barrels and would you offer shorter lengths?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would be very interested in the barrel if SS and the same specs as Tims. However, I think shorter lengths (14.5" & 16") would also be desired by many.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a go! I place my order with ER Shaw today. I'll be getting 18" barrels similar to those from Cardinal Armory, but in SS, as well as 20". The 20" barrels will accept EITHER an intermediate gas port or a rifle length gas port, choice is up to the buyer.

If Shaw's material prices don't go up between now and when he makes the barrels this spring, then the barrels should be priced at $175 for the 18" and $185 for the 20", which I think are mighty reasonable.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I talked with the guys at ER Shaw recently and everything is in order. They should start on the barrels in a month or so. I'll post pricing here as soon as I have it.

We've also gotten dealer status over at YHM, so let me know if any of you want upper parts from them. I can give you unassembled parts or provide a partial or complete custom upper build for anyone who wants one.

I posted some pics of my latest AR build based on the last of Tim Hicks Cardinal Armory 18" barrels at our website. I was easily shooting MOA with that rifle out to 200 yards.

www.bisonarmory.com

·
Registered
310 Posts
PM'd you. I want one, also.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds good, Do you have bolts to go with the barrels? A headspaced bolt for the barrel would be a good route to take IMHO.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
carnaby said:
I don't know the specs for the OPS Inc collar. If you can provide that I'll see if it will work with these barrels.

If you placed your order, I would wait and see how this run goes and then set the OPS inc dimentions on the next run.

AS FAR AS I KNOW, or have seen, I am the only guy shooting a 6.8 with the ops inc brake and collar... I see lots of 6.8 pics on this site and have NOT seen more then 2 with the ops inc brake and collar installed, so, while some might ask for it, I would not expect it to sell more barrels...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts