6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys seen this? http://www.pickensplan.com/

Sounds reasonable. Going to have to do something. I live in the wind corridor and it definately blows here. Only 360 days a year though.
We're going to end up transfering all of our nations wealth, and technology, overseas like we did with the jobs.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
I work in the oilfield and Pickens is one of the smartest in the industry.

·
Registered
242 Posts
A smart man indeed, and of course he has his own interests at heart as well. I just have issues with some of the ways he goes about thing. For example, he has bought up most of the water in the Ogallala aquifer in Texas, which represents an enormous amount of fresh water. He now wants to pump it all up and sell it to Dallas, which would require a pipeline. Problem is that the pipeline would run over 500+ different people's private property/ranches/farms, and many told him to go stick it. So he formed a water company using seven relatives, because a water company in Texas has a little-known right to confiscate private land for its needs through "eminent domain". He is now in the process of forcing people to sell parts of the land for his pipeline.

Dallas has not even said it wants or needs the water, and lots of farmers that use the aquifer to water crops are freaked that he will drain it all out.

Like I said, a sharp business man, but there are better ways to go about things...

·
Registered
62 Posts
dasu said:
i cant respect anyone who uses government to rob people.

the days of eminent domain have got to end.

After living in Florida and watching beach-front homes that WWI & II veterans bought (and stayed in the family with with wives or children) being repo'd (<cough> I mean, diverted for public use under eminent domain); and then watching the politicians turn that once-privately owned land over to new private devopers who want to put in shopping malls...

well I've had enough of that. And I don't even bother thinking about who pays who what in a deal like that. But it's all for the common good - nothing to see here, move along.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As Mark Lavin says on his radio show, "There is no such thing as property ownership anymore, You can't pay the taxes, they take it from you."

Out of all of the "home foreclosures" I wonder how many could be contributed to by high property taxes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts