6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this Glenfield model 75 22 LR on a local forum, and picked it up today. It’s a Glenfield/Marlin model 75 carbine with original 4x15 scope made in 1974. It has a few dings in the stock, but the blueing is excellent. I’ve been to a bunch of gun shows, but I’ve never seen this model. Any info will definitely be appreciated.
Musical instrument accessory Sleeve Wood Knife Sunglasses
Musical instrument accessory Sleeve Wood Knife Sunglasses

·
Administrator
22,078 Posts
Get some Flitz metal polish and go to town on the blued steel. You'll thank me later, after the rags turn rust colored and the blueing POPs for you. Try steaming the dings in the stock to see if they'll raise for ya. Congrats on a sweet find. If you want to really learn about it's history, try the Marlin Owners Forum. There used to be some great souls over there.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get some Flitz metal polish and go to town on the blued steel. You'll thank me later, after the rags turn rust colored and the blueing POPs for you. Try steaming the dings in the stock to see if they'll raise for ya. Congrats on a sweet find. If you want to really learn about it's history, try the Marlin Owners Forum. There used to be some great souls over there.
The dings on the stock are very slight, and easy to repair. The thing that stands out to me is the “made in Japan “on the scope. These scopes were regularly thrown away in the 70’s, and are collectors items today. The glass is cloudy, and I wonder if there is any fix. I’ll likely stick it in the safe, and mount a quality scope.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Good find. I had the Marlin version (model 60). One of the first rifles I bought new, wish I hadn't sold it. I agree with everything Ratdog said, including taking poke around the Marlin Owners forum.

The older Japanese glass is decent quality but rarely sealed well, if at all. Probably worth finding someone to repair it someday.

If you want to know the vintage, subtract the first two numbers of the serial number from 2000.

Reactions: 303 HUNTER
1 - 5 of 5 Posts