6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i've always appreciated perfection, it doesn't happen often, but should be recognized. 7 of 9 rates higher than this one. 1st time at the start when he crossed the finish line he was going 37 mph, the 2nd time at the end he was going 39 mph, still accelerating. my Dad, Rat (we called him Rat because he had an extra vertebrae and he had a tail), and I watched this live when it was broadcast. if you have perfect things i'd be interested to see or read them

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Secretariat had a unique gait and always had one hoof on the dirt when he ran. Most horse will lose complete contact with the track during a gallop.
Ole Red was the best and fastest by far!

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I use to watch Nascar all the time and Dale was my favorite. I was at Daytona sitting in Row 50 in the Earnhardt tower section which is in between turn 4 and the finish line when Dale wrecked and died, Never seen so many grown men cry, was a bad time. During the redflag Dale had stopped just past the finish line and i went down to the fence and took some pictures of him while he sat in his car.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Secretariat had a unique gait and always had one hoof on the dirt when he ran. Most horse will lose complete contact with the track during a gallop.
Ole Red was the best and fastest by far!
I'm sorry but that is not correct about Secretariat. It is literally impossible for ANY horse to gallop without having all four feet off the ground during the suspension phase of the stride.

·
Registered
459 Posts
i've always appreciated perfection, it doesn't happen often, but should be recognized. 7 of 9 rates higher than this one. 1st time at the start when he crossed the finish line he was going 37 mph, the 2nd time at the end he was going 39 mph, still accelerating. my Dad, Rat (we called him Rat because he had an extra vertebrae and he had a tail), and I watched this live when it was broadcast. if you have perfect things i'd be interested to see or read them

One of the most impressive athletic feats I've ever seen (horse, human, or otherwise). That record for a mile and a half (dirt) race still stands to this day. Thanks for posting the video...it's been many years since I've seen it last.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Perfection

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
I haven't gone to google to verify this yet, but I believe Secretariat had more breathing capacity, or larger nasal cavity than most horses or something like that? There was a physical uniqueness about him.

Thanks for posting.

Edit:

Just looked it up. It was his heart. Twice the size of a normal horse heart.

http://www.si.com/horse-racing/2015/01/02/pure-heart-william-nack-secretariat
I don't know but when his trainer first got him he said he was a fat lazy clown. LOL, didn't take long to fix that opinion.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Secretariat had a huge heart, almost twice the size as normal. it's a trait passed down thru the female bloodline, and why he and the mares he was bred to produced great brood mares. never got the chance to bet on Big Red, but i did bet on his half brother when he was 10 years old, i thought on three legs he had more class than the rest of the field, bet 50 to win and he went off at 8-1, i cleaned up

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Zenyatta was undefeated in her racing career, she is actually bigger than Secretariat, here she is beating the boys in the Breeders Cup Classic, only female to ever win the classic

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Secretariat is special for me as I had just got back from Vietnam, later that year me and the wife watched on my used 25 inch color TV. If they did side by side comparisons he still would destroy most of the other champions in the triple crown races.

The said his heart was actually 5 times larger than normal.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no doubt secretariat would destroy any field they could put against him if he was still alive. he has the derby record, the preakness record, and the belmont record. at belmont he ran 6 furlongs in 1:09 and 2/5ths of a second, that is a blistering pace and would win most of the sprint handicap races ever run.

i had been back from vietnam for a little over 2 years when i watched it. knew some guys that hung out in a denver bar who still had their derby tickets they didn't cash in. they got blind the night before and decided to go to the derby, one of em got booted off the plane in kansas city, the other 2 made it to the derby LOL

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Officially the heart was 3 times that of normal and is a trait passed down in breeding by the brood mare and not the stallion.
And yes, Secretariat's unorthodox gait at the gallop had one hoof on the soil at all times thus driving him constantly. Normally the gallop has the horse leaving all 4 in flight but Big Red was different in every way. When he slowed from a full gallop is the only time his gait had him back at a normal gait of leaving his feet.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Officially the heart was 3 times that of normal and is a trait passed down in breeding by the brood mare and not the stallion.
And yes, Secretariat's unorthodox gait at the gallop had one hoof on the soil at all times thus driving him constantly. Normally the gallop has the horse leaving all 4 in flight but Big Red was different in every way. When he slowed from a full gallop is the only time his gait had him back at a normal gait of leaving his feet.
I am sorry (again) but your information about one hoof on the soil at all times is wrong...this is not my opinion...this is a fact. It is during this airborne/suspension phase (which only lasts a mere fraction of a second) that the horses legs (and body) are able to contract to the degree they do, thus enabling a spring/coil-like effect for the upcoming expansion phase of the stride. The contraction/extension also aids in breathing, the breath-to-stride ratio for a galloping horse is 1:1 (one breath per stride)...the abdominal muscles move the organs forward/backward aiding the lungs in pulling air in/pushing air out. Even if such a thing (one foot one ground at all times) were possible, it would not make a horse faster anyhow, it would slow him/her down by causing the horse to have interference between the front and hind legs and/or not allowing for the full extension/contraction cycle...which directly affects stride length.

Below are a few photos of Secretariat I found that hopefully will help illustrate the above.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Big Red's stride was measured at 29' 6" , hoof print to hoof print

1 - 20 of 26 Posts