6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And I mean "your industry" literally. I do not work in firearms, ammo, nothing that many of you do. How do you deal with it? I'm a consumer and it annoys me. Ammunition Depot has an email flyer, the same as everybody. They sell cheap 45 ACP and 9mm. Today it had .223/5.56 with a picture of the M855 "green tip". I did what you normally don't do, I reply to an email ad.

I said ".223 and 5.56 are not the same."

Surprisingly to me, they replied. It does mean they care.

email said:
APR 18, 2016 | 05:14PM UTC
Kate replied:

They are different units of measurement but come out to have the same dimensions. One is American and one is metric.
I know what she is talking about, but she is still wrong. It isn't the bullet. They are selling ammunition. It isn't like I won't be buying discounted ammo from anybody off of gunbot.net, including them. This person is likely "low bid" of an employee. And I won't actually hold this against them.

It would be like not going to Wal Mart because of long lines. The long lines are because they sell my toothpaste below grocery store union labor price.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't think I understand your point as long as you know the difference. I buy ammo online to get the cheapest price. As long as they can put it in the box, and ship it to me in a reasonable time, I'm happy with whatever level of knowledge they have. :)

Maybe I'm the problem ... but I see this everywhere and in every profession. It seems to be getting worse the older I get, but I think it's just that I notice more. ;)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I can totally identify with your frustration on the subject.
The alarming part of it from my way of thinking primarily has to do with the difference in the pressure spec on the two. I know the difference and you know the difference but what happens if someone who genuinely doesn't asks the same question and gets that answer.
Fire some of the hot spec 5.56 ammo in a 223 min spec or match chamber and maybe it will blow a primer or damage the rifle if your lucky, if your not lucky well we can just leave it at that.

A good example for a perfect storm was the batch of M855 that Winchester had to recall. In proper spec rifles in good condition it was blowing primers and destroying rifles. Put some of that in a 223 SAAMI chamber.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Same lack of knowledge is rampant in the auto collision industry. The bad part is that vehicle construction and technology are become more advanced year after year thanks to government MPG standard.

I have also noticed this lack knowledge in most fields including Firearms. For aexample I was at a gun show and a guy with a table with banners and all was trying to tell me that a 300 blk only has 7" of drop at 800 yards and outperforms a 308 all with a lighter gun and lighter recoil. Or the most common one that a 6.5 Grendal can take down game up to 1000 yards.

The amount of ingonance is staggering and I think most of it comes from word of mouth. Someone says one thing and without verifying their claim it is repeated and spread like a disease. Most are not willing to research the topic themselves which usually dispells most claims. I usually ask for where's the data to prove it, the conversation usually ends there and they walk away mad.

OK rant over...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Same lack of knowledge is rampant in the auto collision industry. The bad part is that vehicle construction and technology are become more advanced year after year thanks to government MPG standard.

I have also noticed this lack knowledge in most fields including Firearms. For aexample I was at a gun show and a guy with a table with banners and all was trying to tell me that a 300 blk only has 7" of drop at 800 yards and outperforms a 308 all with a lighter gun and lighter recoil. Or the most common one that a 6.5 Grendal can take down game up to 1000 yards.

The amount of ingonance is staggering and I think most of it comes from word of mouth. Someone says one thing and without verifying their claim it is repeated and spread like a disease. Most are not willing to research the topic themselves which usually dispells most claims. I usually ask for where's the data to prove it, the conversation usually ends there and they walk away mad.

OK rant over...
Sounds like the 300BS is almost in the same class as the Phased plasma rifle in the 40watt range. Sorry couldn't help it I've used that one with a guy at the range raving about its capability shooting 1.25" + groups at 50 yards. We didn't talk much after that.
It was a good rant by the way.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

OK rant over...
you mean it doesn't? someone lied to me then.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I work with people who are here for the job with a payday and have little to no idea what we work with or what it does. That fine we're little more than stock boys and pickers , we also never see or talk to an end user or a maker/designer .

"Counter staff"/customer service should know the basic answers for every current catalog/stock item even if it takes a cheat sheet.

I believe that the problem lies in that we have too many technicians that just throw parts at a problem until it goes away and not enough mechanics that can find and fix the problem.
Ultimately it is a management issue in our case they actually refuse to acknowledge the trees ,trails ,springs and meadows in the forest.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
You know what sucks is that our call center manager actively hires people that have no clue. You would think after two years they would know our product but nope I still get stupid calls escalated to me and when I ask simple questions to narrow down the issue I get a typical " I will have to call the customer and find out the answers.".

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
lol,
i just shipped a long firearm using usps. pretty bad i have to tell them their own policies and ATF fed. laws regarding their specialty (shipping services). They accepted it eventually, 1 out of the 3 employees was of help, he was closest to knowing their own policies, one didnt know squat, one thought she knew the world but didnt know sh!t. ( i think she was pissed by the end, hard to be wrong when ya always think yer right i guess) I was very nice and polite, i did want it to ship and be taken care of,lol.

couple different FFL holders a different potential buyer had to deal with this week didnt know the laws either or do they try to stick together to make more $$

·
Registered
833 Posts
lol,
i just shipped a long firearm using usps. pretty bad i have to tell them their own policies and ATF fed. laws regarding their specialty (shipping services). They accepted it eventually, 1 out of the 3 employees was of help, he was closest to knowing their own policies, one didnt know squat, one thought she knew the world but didnt know sh!t. ( i think she was pissed by the end, hard to be wrong when ya always think yer right i guess) I was very nice and polite, i did want it to ship and be taken care of,lol.

couple different FFL holders a different potential buyer had to deal with this week didnt know the laws either or do they try to stick together to make more $$
Reminds me of when I had to ship my gun back for repair. Went to the Fed Ex hub and like was supposed to declared the firearm in side the box. The Guy looks at me confused. I said "I have to declair it" He said ya do????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts