6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 279-124 four holer mold in thursday I poured friday and shoot them today(Saturday the 7th.) I tried 18, 19 20 gr's of H-4198 with a plane base bullet at 25 yards. I got two hits out of 9 shots. that's two hits on the paper at 25 yards. those bullets definitely need work(anyone! hints????)
the four holer mold has two holes for gas checks and two for plane base. I'll be pouring a lot more GC bullets for a while. the GC bullets can got about an inch at 25 yards. I'm using 21 and 22 gr's of H-4198, and they run about 2150 to 2200Fps.(the PB run about 1800 to 2000 FPS and they are not accurate(and that's three different people trying)...With 110 gr. bullets(jacketed) I'm getting around 2300fps(23.8gr's of 4198) AND WITH 100 gr. bullet(jacketed) they run about 2400fps. (24.5 gr's of 4198) that's with a 16 inch barrel.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Try powder coating the pb bullets and and increasing your load to find your accuracy node. PC bullets can handle a lot more velocity.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pb and GC's 6.8 bullets

where do you get powder coating for bullets? and/or what is it?

·
Registered
666 Posts
where do you get powder coating for bullets? and/or what is it?
It is basically putting a jacket on the bullet. Harbor freight has the stuff cheap. Castboolits website has lots of info on powder coating. I have yet to do it because I don't have the time but am aquiring all the supplies. You can get a toaster oven from goodwill or so for cheap as well.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Pak
You have to go all the way back to the beginning to shoot the PB .
As a zero nothing point I would start the slowest recommended powder for a 140 gr jacket and that start load in .3 gr steps and shoot 3 shots for groups . Stop when the group closes or opens after good cycle I is reached . Personally, as a cast bullet proponent, I would save them for a bolt gun or contender. I have shot many 1000s of PB cast 1900 fps is a very detail driven quest with a naked bullet. Stay with the gas checks 2200 fps with this bullet gets you to 1000 @ 100 .

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the same mold, plain base. I powder coat, size & run them at just ender 2000fps. So far accuracy is decent, 3" for 5 at 100. I think i need to tweak the alloy.Powder coating is a poly or epoxy powder that you bake onto the bullet. Like paint but bonds better.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have the same mold, plain base. I powder coat, size & run them at just ender 2000fps. So far accuracy is decent, 3" for 5 at 100. I think i need to tweak the alloy.Powder coating is a poly or epoxy powder that you bake onto the bullet. Like paint but bonds better.
Have you tried running them at higher velocities or is that as high as they can go?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have you tried running them at higher velocities or is that as high as they can go?
Not yet. I would think i need a gc for higher pressure/vel. I wanted a cheap plinking bullet, gc kinda defeat that imo.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Not yet. I would think i need a gc for higher pressure/vel. I wanted a cheap plinking bullet, gc kinda defeat that imo.
With GC going for about $30 a K (3 cents per bullet) that increases the cost quite a bit.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Reading what the guys are doing over at castboolits they are running pc without gas checks up to 3000fps. That is why I asked, as I don't have personal experience with it yet but am going to be doing it eventually.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Reading what the guys are doing over at castboolits they are running pc without gas checks up to 3000fps. That is why I asked, as I don't have personal experience with it yet but am going to be doing it eventually.
The hardness of your alloy and quality of your lube are extremely important at those velocities.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts