6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've ordered the parts for my first AR platform build in 6.8 REM SPC:

- PSA CTR complete lower (blemished)
- Aero Precision complete upper receiver (blemished)
- Black Hole Weaponry 18" 3R 1/11 twist standard weight barrel
- Alex Pro Arms NiB BCG
- Anderson Arms adjustable gas block
- Diamondhead 15" rail
- Radical Firearms carbine length SS gas tube
- Wilson Combat Accu-tac flash hider

Started receiving the parts in today, and looking forward to final assembly. Since this is my first build, I'm doing it with the help of a friend who is heavy into black rifles and has the tools. The only thing I have some concern about is head spacing with the BCG, but from what I read I should be good....still wondering about it, though.

I'll post pics when it's finally done!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds like a good build.
Look forward to seeing pictures of the completed rifle.
You'll be glad you got the adjustable gas block.
I have a BHW 18" standard weight barrel with a midlength gas system.
And it would be over gassed if not for the BTE Adjustable Micro gas block I have installed.

Glenn

·
Registered
395 Posts
I believe BHW only offers rifle and mid length gas on their 18" barrels so hopefully you didn't order a carbine length gas tube. But if you did order the carbine tube, great job on messing up the cheapest part of the whole thing.
When you get this together I'd like to know how that Anderson gas block works out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe BHW only offers rifle and mid length gas on their 18" barrels so hopefully you didn't order a carbine length gas tube. But if you did order the carbine tube, great job on messing up the cheapest part of the whole thing.
When you get this together I'd like to know how that Anderson gas block works out.
I'm glad I posted my build list, because now I don't have to wait until all the parts arrive to find out the gas tube was too small! Thanks for pointing that out...just ordered the mid-length tube. And you are right....if I was going to screw something up, I'm glad it was on this part!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I love my diamond head hand guard thats on my 5.56 now but it is heavy! just a heads up. It was on my 6.8 hunting rig for a while but that extra half pound added up on my walks through the woods.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love my diamond head hand guard thats on my 5.56 now but it is heavy! just a heads up. It was on my 6.8 hunting rig for a while but that extra half pound added up on my walks through the woods.
Luckily I won't have to lug it around in the brush if I choose to take it hunting...I can hunt from a blind. I'll be using this rifle mostly for target shooting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That should work perfect then. Best feeling hand guard IMO. Should be a good shooter. Keep us posted on it

·
Registered
152 Posts
I decided to replace all my lo pro gas blocks with adjustable ones after finally shooting with a can. With my 6.8 i used a seekins precision one, its the updated version you can adjust from the front and side as opposed to the rear, and it works really well. After shooting it, i decided to replace the other lo pros on 3 uppers but the seekins was nowhere to be found again for 2 months. I got sick of waiting and got three anderson adj. Blocks. On my 556 and 300blk uppers they seem to work ok, detent clicks are a little mushy but ok. However the one on my x39 upper seems to have issues. Even with the gas block adjusted fully open it wont cycle unsuppressed. If i have the can on itll cycle fine. I need to tinker with it more to figure out what's goin on before i totally blame the gb bit its adjustments feel different than the others. Just thought id share my experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update 1...everything has come in except for the barrel. I ordered everything at the same time, so the extra wait for the barrel is a little frustrating. I just got notice today that the barrel should be here by Friday, so by the end of the weekend the build should be complete. BHW must be a very popular shop! I hope it's worth the extra wait...

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm glad I posted my build list, because now I don't have to wait until all the parts arrive to find out the gas tube was too small! Thanks for pointing that out...just ordered the mid-length tube. And you are right....if I was going to screw something up, I'm glad it was on this part!
Wow spare parts collection started already. May as well go ahead and order that carbon length barrel and start your second build........:a22:

·
Registered
98 Posts
6.8 build

Update 1...everything has come in except for the barrel. I ordered everything at the same time, so the extra wait for the barrel is a little frustrating. I just got notice today that the barrel should be here by Friday, so by the end of the weekend the build should be complete. BHW must be a very popular shop! I hope it's worth the extra wait...
I brought a 6.8 barrel from someone on this site!, I have several bare uppers and I'm going to use one of them. I have two PSA lowers so Im good there, my biggest cost was the $135 for a bolt and bolt carrier. all my parts should be here Wednesday, but I still spent about $250 for parts. I have the ..75 gas block but not the right gas tube. I do have a muzzel break? but not the crush washer it's suppose to be here Thursday. I did find a nice scope mount(extry high(about an inch) for 35.00. ) I brought parts from four different sites. (who had what and at what price!) I was looking for DMS handguards and nobody has them(ofcourse these are the only ones I like) this will give me 3 uppers in 6.8. I've got two in 7.62x39, one in 6x45 and two in 5.56. I"m hoping every thing comes intomorroe!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow spare parts collection started already. May as well go ahead and order that carbon length barrel and start your second build........:a22:
That's what I'm afraid of....I keep hearing about how other black rifle shooters seem to have spare parts magically grow randomly into complete uppers, lowers, and sometimes entire rifles. Mystifying how that happens...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Barrel came in today, and it looks like it was well worth the wait. I'll build it tomorrow, and have pics up tomorrow evening if all goes well! :a04:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here she is...my first AR build ever in 6.8 REM SPC:

Bought the Vortex glass from the same guy who let me use his bench to put my build together. I couldn't be happier with how everything came together, save for one small issue.

For those of you who own Anderson Arms adjustable gas blocks, how tight were the set screws when you first tried to adjust/remove them? I ended up stripping the smaller set screw that is set at an angle which is used to secure main gas level set screw because it didn't want to budge. We ended up having to use a removal tool to start threading it out, and once it came out we saw that the set screw had a spring behind it. This spring apparently adds quite a bit of tension to that set screw...so now I have a completed weapon that I can't fire because of that set screw. I am disappointed with that gas block given all the positive reviews, but it is what it is.

Aside from that, I'm pretty happy with how this build came out. And I'm glad my friend had all the tools required, because having the right tool for the job certainly makes things a lot easier. Woohoo!!! :eek:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nicely Done Sir.
Thanks for sharing.
Sorry to hear you have an issue with the gas block.
Hopefully you can get that resolved fairly quickly and give us a range report.

Glenn

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the compliments! I'll be sure to post a range report, with chrono and grouping data that accounts for both pill weight and primer size differences.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up stripping the smaller set screw that is set at an angle which is used to secure main gas level set screw because it didn't want to budge. We ended up having to use a removal tool to start threading it out, and once it came out we saw that the set screw had a spring behind it.
Follow up to this observation. After contacting Anderson Arms (they responded to my email first thing this AM), it turns out being the n00b that I am at AR builds, by removing that screw I ended up ruining a perfectly good gas block. That screw I removed was never meant to be removed in the first place, so that was a big-time FAIL. Just wanted to clarify...this was strictly "operator error" when it came to my gas block follies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.