6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this discussion with a few friends at work. Some have nice 1911's but do not carry them for fear of losing them. One guy carries a Glock 17 in his truck with a 33 round mag and a light on the rail. He is a firearms instructor, and CCL holder and trainer. This is his truck gun when he travels for work. He has two tricked up 1911's, one a carry type, and the other a competition type. He figures the Glock is ultra-reliable like his 1911s but can be easily replaced if lost, stolen, or confiscated for some reason. He'd cry if one of his 1911's turned up missing.

Another guy relies on his M&P for similar reasons.

Do any of you have similar opinions? I don't think there is a right or wrong here, just curious what you think.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's not a bad idea for not losing an expensive gun. Glocks are cheap and easily replaced. I don't keep guns in my car if I'm not with the vehicle (this is for my privately owned car not cop car). When I'm out running around off duty my gun stays on me. Some guys like to have a rifle in their car and will use a cheap SKS or similar rifle. That way if it gets stolen, no big.....except now there is another gun, one that will punch through body armor, on the street in the wrong hands.

If you do carry a cheaper gun for fear of losing the expensive one after a shooting or whatever, then that cheaper gun should be considered your carry gun and you should train with it accordingly.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree about keeping the gun on your person. My buddy who started the conversation doesn't always have the ability to keep his handgun on his person at work, so it does see time locked up in his truck. He's always nearby though. He just made the decision the Glock is his go to carry gun and the gun he instructs classes with, and his nice 1911's are safe and secure in his safe at home.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I recently had the same type of discussion, with a bone head who just couldn't get it. IMO unless you have a limitless spending budget, yes some are too nice to carry if you value it. For even in a rightous self defense shooting you are losing it for a while, like wise forever if it some how gets stolen. For me find the most reliable gun with in your comfort zone that wouldn't hurt too badly if it was confiscated or worse stolen. If confiscated don't expect it to be wiped down and oiled ect.... it will never come back to you in the same condition as she left.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
same here, I have a very nice 1911 that I don't carry, MP or a 38 airweight and practice enough with both

·
Registered
4 Posts
ArtFWTx said:
I had this discussion with a few friends at work. Some have nice 1911's but do not carry them for fear of losing them. One guy carries a Glock 17 in his truck with a 33 round mag and a light on the rail. He is a firearms instructor, and CCL holder and trainer. This is his truck gun when he travels for work. He has two tricked up 1911's, one a carry type, and the other a competition type. He figures the Glock is ultra-reliable like his 1911s but can be easily replaced if lost, stolen, or confiscated for some reason. He'd cry if one of his 1911's turned up missing.

Do any of you have similar opinions? I don't think there is a right or wrong here, just curious what you think.
I have carried off and on for about 16 years and I just make sure I have two of my carry guns broken in and ready to go. The one I am actively carrying is broken in but I keep it clean and don't shoot it at all. The backup weapon goes to the range with me to train with (I have a 638-2 for actual carry and a 649-2 for training...649 weighs a little more but they are basically the same gun). This makes sure that the springs in my carry gun are tested to be reliable but are not being abused by constant training. Also, if I lose my primary or it is stolen I can break the trainer out until I get a replacement. I figure what are the odds of me losing two guns? Right? So, if I had the money, I would prolly get two of the awesome tricked out 1911's to carry if they were the weapon I was most comfy with. Being comfortable with a weapon is uber important to me as I won't have to think if I ever (God forbid) have to use it. This concept is first and foremost so if I were most relaxed and proficient with an expensive gun I would just get two of them.

Now if I were equally at ease with the Manual of Arms and usage of the Glock as I was with my super expensive 1911 then I guess the Glock would make the most sense.

·
Registered
236 Posts
ArtFWTx said:
I had this discussion with a few friends at work. Some have nice 1911's but do not carry them for fear of losing them.
I have recently come to the same conclusion. I used to be of the theory that it wasn't too expensive if it saves your life (which is true) however, I now carry a GLOCK (23 and/or 27). They work, are relatively inexpensive, and are a dime a dozen.

From carry, I have retired my custom 1911's, custom HiPowers, and S&W pre-lock K-frames as they are not cheap any more. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the above platforms, but if I can't afford to replace it I am not going to carry it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
To me, I'll carry one of the special one's on occasion, just not every day. Most days is just a tried a true pistol that can be picked up at most fun stores. I'd hate to see a grown man cry. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
sixeightfan said:
ArtFWTx said:

I have carried off and on for about 16 years and I just make sure I have two of my carry guns broken in and ready to go. The one I am actively carrying is broken in but I keep it clean and don't shoot it at all. The backup weapon goes to the range with me to train with (I have a 638-2 for actual carry and a 649-2 for training...649 weighs a little more but they are basically the same gun). This makes sure that the springs in my carry gun are tested to be reliable but are not being abused by constant training. Also, if I lose my primary or it is stolen I can break the trainer out until I get a replacement. I figure what are the odds of me losing two guns? Right? So, if I had the money, I would prolly get two of the awesome tricked out 1911's to carry if they were the weapon I was most comfy with. Being comfortable with a weapon is uber important to me as I won't have to think if I ever (God forbid) have to use it. This concept is first and foremost so if I were most relaxed and proficient with an expensive gun I would just get two of them.

Now if I were equally at ease with the Manual of Arms and usage of the Glock as I was with my super expensive 1911 then I guess the Glock would make the most sense.
I carry a custom Colt CCO on a daily basis, but have been considering getting a Glock for the reasons described above -- but I prefer the idea of two similair weapons -- like maybe a Wilson Bobtail Commander to complemetn my CCO! Thanks - now I have a reason to buy another expensive pistol!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts