6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree with the 1X or 2X variable. I personally have (3) 2-7X Burris (1) 2X7 Vortex and a 1X6 Vortex. I had more deer get away by being too close than too far. A Weaver "Wide field" worked great for me for 25yrs but none of the new 3X seem to have as much field of view. Alas it gave up the ghost. I shot one each running deer with it at 5 paces and 9 paces respectively.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree with the 1X or 2X variable. I personally have (3) 2-7X Burris (1) 2X7 Vortex and a 1X6 Vortex. I had more deer get away by being too close than too far. A Weaver "Wide field" worked great for me for 25yrs but none of the new 3X seem to have as much field of view. Alas it gave up the ghost. I shot one each running deer with it at 5 paces and 9 paces respectively.
Don't laugh at us. We have two pre 64 308s equipped with irons and Weaver 4X32 El Pasos in Tip off mounts. Pretty good in low light and either rifle is very hard not to choose for pretty much anything that needs shot, Yotes to Elk to 400 are easy hold overs.

When the light makes the cross hairs disappear, or you're woods stalking, tip it off for the irons to be ready for off-hand when that big white tail that steps out, or a bedded Elk rises up.

We use others mostly because those two are heirlooms, not because the newer ones are more accurate or that much more useful.

Though I admit the new scopes have much better reticles, and the higher variable power for still hunting is nice, and I am getting partial to lit dots for low light.

My point is that I agree a quality low fixed or low variable power, with a large objective and a uncluttered reticle for a 4-500 yard max hunting rifle is the ticket. There are plenty under $500 and just saying irons are useful too.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts