6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 68 with a tactical scope on it a cheapo! Was wondering what you guys would suggest in a reddot for hunting deer shooting out to at least 150yds? Or what tactical scope would you recommend?

·
Administrator
22,143 Posts
You get what you pay for in glass. Never go cheap on: Barrel, trigger, optic. A solid 1-6x would be my choice... like a Vortex Razor.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
What's your budget? I'd go LPVO over a red dot any day of the week. Avoid Chinese.

I wouldn't go cheaper than this:

Here's what I prefer:

Reactions: constructor

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Any scope you would put on any other rifle is the best answer . I have ARs with red dots but not for deer hunting . 1-6 or 2-7 scopes are great for thick woods . If you want something that has a lighted reticle look at Cabela's 3 power fire bolt prism . I have one on a 300 bo and have no problem with ***** and armidelos out past 100 yds .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You get what you pay for in glass. Never go cheap on: Barrel, trigger, optic. A solid 1-6x would be my choice... like a Vortex Razor.
Thank you sir, it was given to me so I thru it on actually not bad but I love my Burris scopes but have never used a tactical scope? Only used dots and reflex while in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any scope you would put on any other rifle is the best answer . I have ARs with red dots but not for deer hunting . 1-6 or 2-7 scopes are great for thick woods . If you want something that has a lighted reticle look at Cabela's 3 power fire bolt prism . I have one on a 300 bo and have no problem with * and armidelos out past 100 yds .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
Thank you sir! That was exactly my thinking, the wife like red dots and I really can’t see one being very precise out past 75yds at least to my standards

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's your budget? I'd go LPVO over a red dot any day of the week.

I wouldn't go cheaper than this:

Here's what I prefer:
Thank you sir!

·
Registered
37 Posts
On my 20” I have a Burris MTAC 1.5-6x42 and on my 16” I have a Nikon P-223 3x32 fixed power. I like both but the Burris is my favorite, I don’t think they make the MTAC series anymore but I believe the make a RT-6 which is a 1-6 that suits my hunting style perfectly. Inside 200 yards I take the 6.8 over 200 I usually take the 7mmMag or 270. Not that they are necessary but I would prefer a little more horsepower at distance

·
Registered
961 Posts
Take a look at Swampfox optics. I just did a review of their 1x prism scope. They have a 3x, and several lvpo's. Their Tomahawk 1-6 is my next optic for the rifle I am building now. Bonus if your a vet, 30% off if you buy direct from them.

·
Registered
714 Posts
As others have stated, a LPVO 1x-4 through 8x is ideal if you’d like similar capabilities to a red dot for close range or fast target work.

If this is primarily a hunting rifle, a 2-7x or 3-9x may be a better option for slightly more magnification and less “tactical” features like fancy reticules, illumination, etc, for a cost savings with better. And they are still handy for close work at the low power range.

Lots of options out there. Let us know your requirements and budget and we can start making more refined suggestions.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
For under $200 and Free Shipping, I purchased 4 of these for my Remington 597 Magnums and would not hesitate to put it on a 556, 68 or 308. The Long Range MOA Reticle is sweet.
Most pics of the reticle are thick stadia garbage drawings. The center is actually thinner then the rest. Kind of like the NightForce MOAR-T reticle center.
The stadia lines are very well done, check out the subtensions.
The side parallax adjustment is very well done, also.
BURRIS FF E1 4.5-14x42

I was on the clock for the above...
Now that I am home:

A) RedDot - What ever AIMPOINT that you want. The PRO, with 1stResp, LE or Mil discount, can be got for
$445.00 $415.00 or 4 interest-free payments of $103.75.

B) Any VORTEX PST GenII that you want. The 3-15 x 44mm would be perfect on a 20" ARP pipe for close/open areas.

We don't know your kit or hunting areas. BTW, there is a whole bunch of glass out there that is under $500 AND is moar capable
than the fixed 10x Unertl I humped on a M40A1. Don't get lost in the cost.

EDIT:
I would have been safer with a
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 EBR-2C MRAD Scope PST-3158
https://www.scopelist.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-3-15x44-EBR-2C-MRAD-PST-3158.aspxc
which I can purchase with mil discount from ScopeList for $549.99
The power of 10s [MILs] is comforting on a two way rifle range that mortars and artillery intrude.

If'n your brain is fast, MOA adjustments let you get closer to the left or right pupil you wish to touch, instead of just the forehead.
Yes, Vortex makes an MOA version, also.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Vortex Viper PST 1-6 is a good scope for the $$. I have several of the original 1-4 versions that I use on service rifles in competition. Never had any issues, illuminated reticle is good, tracks well as I spin the knobs for elev and windage going 200 to 600 yards. One thing to note is that when it come to getting a shot in low light size matters.....if you intend to hunt until dark pick a model with a bigger objective lens......min of 40mm and probably max of 50mm in the PST Gen II lineup. I have seen some good reviews of the Vortex Crossfire II Hog Hunter. I have a 56mm S&B on a .270 Win deer rifle and its huge....but it probably gives me 10 extra minutes after sunset of being able to clearly see and that rifle was specifically intended for twilight hunting. That said, now that I have a 6.8 with a Thor LT on it I use that to hunt right up until the legal cutoff time.

·
Registered
714 Posts
One thing to note is that when it come to getting a shot in low light size matters.....if you intend to hunt until dark pick a model with a bigger objective lens......min of 40mm and probably max of 50mm in the PST Gen II lineup.
Great point and I couldn't agree more. After moving to mostly 50mm objectives on my hunting scopes, it truly does make a big difference in low light.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The Vortex Viper PST 1-6 is a good scope for the $$. I have several of the original 1-4 versions that I use on service rifles in competition. Never had any issues, illuminated reticle is good, tracks well as I spin the knobs for elev and windage going 200 to 600 yards. One thing to note is that when it come to getting a shot in low light size matters.....if you intend to hunt until dark pick a model with a bigger objective lens......min of 40mm and probably max of 50mm in the PST Gen II lineup. I have seen some good reviews of the Vortex Crossfire II Hog Hunter. I have a 56mm S&B on a .270 Win deer rifle and its huge....but it probably gives me 10 extra minutes after sunset of being able to clearly see and that rifle was specifically intended for twilight hunting. That said, now that I have a 6.8 with a Thor LT on it I use that to hunt right up until the legal cutoff time.
To take it one step farther, the exit pupil is objective lens size divided by magnification. Bigger is better up to about 7mm for dark conditions, 4mm works in daylight.

4 power through a 20mm objective is an exit pupil of 5mm, which is better than a 9 power through a 40mm objective (4.4mm), neither of which is as good as 10 power through a 56mm objective (5.6mm).

·
Registered
181 Posts
To take it one step farther, the exit pupil is objective lens size divided by magnification. Bigger is better up to about 7mm for dark conditions, 4mm works in daylight.

4 power through a 20mm objective is an exit pupil of 5mm, which is better than a 9 power through a 40mm objective (4.4mm), neither of which is as good as 10 power through a 56mm objective (5.6mm).
Great point..... and the 3-10 x 56 on 4 power is pretty good....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the Primary Arms 1-6x24 with the ACSS Predator reticle. It is a BDC reticle with drops out to 500 and auto ranging capabilities. When zeroed correctly it works with many factory 6.8 SPC loads as well as handloads. I can ring 8”-10” steel out to 500 with it and 2”-4” from 200 to 300. Very clear glass and easy on the wallet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts