6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a deputy friend of mine has a ban era LE marked colt made ar15. He wants to get a different upper but thinks the pins are smaller. I told him I think that was just the trigger pins. I think I am correct, am I ?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
a deputy friend of mine has a ban era LE marked colt made ar15. He wants to get a different upper but thinks the pins are smaller. I told him I think that was just the trigger pins. I think I am correct, am I ?
depends on year of colt lower....I have one from 1991 that has the "large diameter" trigger and hammer pins (.170" vs the .154" standard), it also has a "large diameter" front take down pin......you can buy large diameter hammer/trigger sets and you can also buy an offset bushing for the front take down pin :http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receiver-hardware/receiver-bushings/pivot-pin-adapter-bushing-prod24949.aspx , but I have never known anyone that has done this so I don't know if there are any issues with adapting

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
depends on year of colt lower....I have one from 1991 that has the "large diameter" trigger and hammer pins, it also has a "large diameter" front take down pin......you can buy large diameter hammer/trigger sets and you can also buy an offset bushing for the front take down pin :http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receiver-hardware/receiver-bushings/pivot-pin-adapter-bushing-prod24949.aspx , but I have never known anyone that has done this so I don't know if there are any issues with adapting
ok, so best just to see if his lower will fit one of mine.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Besides the trigger pins being a different size the only problem I had with mine was that the new upper would not hinge all the way open because it hit on the handguard. A different handguard might have solved the problem but I just bought a new lower to go with the new upper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts