6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the history of the Nosler headstamped brass I received from American Reloading in spring/summer of 2015.
I had ordered 500 pulled primed Federal 6.8 SPC cases for my BHW American 30 barrel, a 6.8 SPC wildcat.
And out of that order there was about 250 unprimed new Nosler 6.8 SPC cases. Considering at the time with a discount promotion they were only $0.27 a case. I did not mind getting them and stashed them away without a second thought.
Well I pulled 50 out for a picture in the "Where are the Nosler 110 gr. AccuBond?" thread. So while I have them out, I figure I'll prep them for reloading.
Being the Type A reloader that I am. I check them with my Sheridan Engineering case gauge and Hornady headspace comparator.
Out of the 50, only 17 are headspaced in the range where Hornady, Federal and Remington set their new brass.
The rest I have are headspaced too long. Five are over my barrels cambered headspace. The majority of the rest are only .001"-.0015" shorter than the barrels actual headspace.
If I was shooting a bolt action I would not mind. But these are for a semi-auto AR.
So It looks like I will be resizing some "New" Nosler cases.

Nosler headstamped 6.8 SPC brass

Sitting in the Sheridan Engineering case gauge.

Not sure If these were blems or loose when they were shipped to me.
So just check your Nosler brass to be safe.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
How is the weight consistency?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always size all new cases.
I run all my new cases through a Redding Type S bushing die but not bump back the shoulder. That way I can choose a bushing to round out the necks without overworking the brass.
But this is the first I have had to full length resize new cases because they were so close or over my rifles headspace.
The barrel is chambered as a 6.8 SPC II and barrel and bolt past the Go, No-Go gauge check.
As I mentioned in the original post. Because these were mixed in with Federal pulled brass (not in their own package).
I can't be sure if these were first grade or seconds.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
16 Posts
That one pictured looks really long in the gauge. My first suspicion would be that the diameter is too big, and it isn't seating fully on the shoulder. Can you push it in further?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That one pictured looks really long in the gauge. My first suspicion would be that the diameter is too big, and it isn't seating fully on the shoulder. Can you push it in further?
The case would not push down any farther.
That was the longest case. It measured .010 more than my Pacific Tool and Gage No-Go gauge at the datum point.
All 50 cases have been run through my Redding dies. The issue was definitely in the shoulder. I can see where the die contacts the shoulder.
The cases now fit in the case gauge properly and are headspaced to my barrel.
Now to do the other 200 cases...... More fun than the law allows.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Honestly it would be kinda nice if new brass always came a hair long. That way you could form to your chamber without the first firing being a fireform. I know factory ammo or new brass is about .010 or more short of my psa chamber. Not a big deal. But there would be real advantages to having to size all new brass.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Honestly it would be kinda nice if new brass always came a hair long. That way you could form to your chamber without the first firing being a fireform. I know factory ammo or new brass is about .010 or more short of my psa chamber. Not a big deal. But there would be real advantages to having to size all new brass.
I agree, since I always size new brass anyway---- most brass is waaaay undersized, especially when you get into "nato" pulled/ never fired brass (like in 5.56 or 7.62)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got back from shooting and wanted to post this.
Apparently the long headspaced brass has thinner walls at the cost of the extra length.

Other brass shows bulging at the top of the webbing.
Load was 30.5 gr. Accurate 2200 powder, CCI #41 primer, Federal 90 gr. Gold Dot Pull. Loaded to 2.260" C.O.A.L.
This was brass that was resized to headspaced .0035" shorter than the chambers headspace.

Glenn

·
Registered
89 Posts
Got back from shooting and wanted to post this.
Apparently the long headspaced brass has thinner walls at the cost of the extra length.

Other brass shows bulging at the top of the webbing.
Load was 30.5 gr. Accurate 2200 powder, CCI #41 primer, Federal 90 gr. Gold Dot Pull. Loaded to 2.260" C.O.A.L.
This was brass that was resized to headspaced .0035" shorter than the chambers headspace.

Glenn
Thanks for that info, glad I bought 200 of them several months back.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Hmmmm, I had some of the new Nosler brass crack on me but thought it was due to the cold temperature. worthchecking closely after each firing. c

1 - 12 of 12 Posts