6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have one of these little gems? I just bought one (used, LGS). If you have one, a favor to ask. Remove your cylinder, fully insert your cylinder retention pin, and, please advise. Does your pin enter the rear face of the frame, thus providing full support (axle) for the entire cylinder's length? Or, does it sit shy of the rear of the frame? I see there is a hole in the rear face of the frame on mine, consistent with the end of the retention pin to dock into. My retention pin is shy, by approx. 3/16" from reaching the rear face of the frame.

I'm wondering whether I have a retention pin for the .22 lr or .22 short revolver, since their cylinders are shorter, and would have less span, due to the shorter length of those models' cylinders.

I was so excited to find one, I neglected to give it the thorough eyeballing I gave it after finally being able to take possession of it (damned 10 day waiting period now). It was locked into one of the safety notches, and I missed some telltale concerns that I only found after getting it home this afternoon and eyeballing it closer. When the hammer is at rest over an empty chamber, or at full cock (empty), there is more movement of the cylinder than I anticipated to find... then, I noticed that the retention pin does not dock into the rear face of the frame and I began to go "Hmmmm????". I have an email in to their customer service and am awaiting their reply.

·
Super Moderator
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After some online digging, I believe I've found my answer. This pic appears to show a retention pin that could dock into the back face of the frame, giving full support to the cylinder. Mine is shorter than shown here. From shoulder to tip, mine is 1 5/8". From the front of the frame where the pin is inserted to the rear face of the frame is 1 7/8". I believe I have a retention pin for a .22 lr revolver.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
I believe you are right. Numrich has the correct pin in stock but they are proud of them.

·
Super Moderator
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe you are right. Numrich has the correct pin in stock but they are proud of them.
Aha!!! If NAA doesn't offer to send me a correct pin, I'll talk to the good folks at Numrich. Been a while since I've used 'em and forgot to check. Grassy-ass Ameeeeeeego!!

I'll bet your rear end is loose...
:a23: NOT Zesty!!! Butt, I tip my hat to a like minded sense of humor. :a02:

That's just information I don't want to know about.
That would be a disturbing visual. :a32:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Rule #1....NEVER VISUALIZE!!

I have one. Answered in more detail on LSB, but cliff note version is your pin is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rule #1....NEVER VISUALIZE!!

I have one. Answered in more detail on LSB, but cliff note version is your pin is wrong.
Grassy-Ass Ameeeeeego !!! Appreciate the confirmation of my suspicions. I might have to take back what I said about you. (Nah!!!) :a01: I'll see what NAA has to say. Numrich IS proud of theirs, but, will be option #2 for me.

·
Super Moderator
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a reply back from NAA. They've kindly offered to repair (lifetime warranty) it if I send it back. I'm appreciative of that, and am willing to do so. I've asked them to send me a correct cylinder retention pin to see if that alone resolves it. I'm awaiting their reply. They've confirmed the manufacture date is 2006.

Overall, a sweet little revolver.

NAA001a.jpg

This is what I believe to be the offending part. The pin should go back into the back face of the frame to provide full support for the cylinder. Additionally, due to the larger diameter of a .22magnum round, the cylinder will be larger in diameter than a standard .22lr cylinder. As such, the bore for the pin to ride in will be a tad lower in the frame than it would be on a .22lr frame. I believe this to be why the pin falls out when the muzzle is down. The detent does not reach high enough to engage the dimple on the underside of the barrel.

NAA002a.jpg

The rear face of the cylinders show no abnormalities, due to poor wear patterns. I doubt this thing's been shot hardly at all.

NAA003a.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
After I'd sent pix to them, it finally dawned on them what I was describing, and they confirmed I definitely had the WRONG pin. They provided me a link to the store with an invite to buy a pin at $25 plus $7 shipping. I opted to buy one and see how things go from there.

Wellllll... my cylinder retention pin arrived just now. AMAZING how much "more gooder" things work with the right parts! No more wobble, no more end to end play, solid lock-up, and ALMOST no daylight between the breech and the front of the cylinder. And, the detent marries up to the dimple on the underside of the barrel.

NOW I'm ready to see if it shoots well. If it doesn't, then I know it was shot a bunch with the wrong pin and I can elect to have the factory do repairs. If it shoots good, I'm GTG.

I've got a new box of .22 magnum from CCI, a couple of boxes of .22lr mini-mag CCI (800 rds total) for daily carry in the pocket. Already have plenty of bulk plinking fodder. Also have some Quick Strips for both. Found a rubber grip for it that I like a lot, and a pair of kydex neck holsters for options. A little Flitz polish, and she's all purdied up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts