6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the opportunity to join this forum that has been recommended by several others at the LWRCI Forum.

I'm 58, an airline pilot by trade. I was severely injured on the job in 1996, injuries that went untreated for the most part until I had several discs removed from my back and the lower back fused, some 5 yerars later. So with all my "free" time, I thought that I'd get back up to speed on shooting. (If the name Whaledriver hasn't given away what aircraft I was flying before professional life ended, I'll help: I flew the 747. It is my favorite airplane to fly except that you had to be out of gas in order to land.)

I'm former Air Force, but not as a pilot: I was trained in firearms -- M16 and the 1911 -- and mistakenly felt that I had no need to keep current since my life no longer depended upon my marksmanship. I gave up all shooting in 1973 and didn't see the errors of my ways until Ronald Reagan was elected and I decided it was time to grow up, discovering that I was a closet-conservative.

I've had a great deal to learn as my M16 was equipped with nothing more than simple iron sights. I never used a scope before and mil dots still have me a little confused. Well, more than a little. Maybe a lot. Scandalous, isn't it?

A friend of mine handed me a magazine a few years ago that extolled the virtues of 6.8 SPC. Anygh that uthing that gives knock-down performance without too much weight in weapons and rounds carried isn't half bad in my book. I've built 2 custom 20" barreled 6.8 rifles andget MOA to sub-MOA groups at 100 and 200 yards; I have a third rufke in the process if being built utilizing an LWRCI upper for the M6A2 DMR weapon.

A member of the LWRCI Forum, RCrandall, advised me to come over to this forum as I've become relatively disappointed by a herd of liberal trolls that have ruined the LWRCI Forum. I've come over here in hopes of having my questions answered and puzzles untangled. I hope to contribute as much as I can -- that might mean that I ask a lot of questions -- and I will certainly try to give honest, no b.s. answers to any questions I might ask.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
You found the right place to answer all of your 6.8 questions.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Welcome aboard. Ask away. We'll gladly help out.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Whaledriver... I thought that meant you flew one of SWA's Shamu planes? :lol: I live in the DFW area so we see Shamu flying around fairly often around here. Note to self.. 747's are out of gas on landing, please pray for the pilot getting it right the first time. :shock: :shock:

Kidding aside.. welcome to the group. Jump in on the discussions.

Yes we miss Ronald Reagan.. just read my sig line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ArtFWTx said:
Whaledriver... I thought that meant you flew one of SWA's Shamu planes? :lol: I live in the DFW area so we see Shamu flying around fairly often around here. Note to self.. 747's are out of gas on landing, please pray for the pilot getting it right the first time. :shock: :shock:

Kidding aside.. welcome to the group. Jump in on the discussions.

Yes we miss Ronald Reagan.. just read my sig line.
Yeah, I miss the great communicator as well.

Passenger 747s are always operated at a fraction of the gross weight compared to those of us flying night crawlers (freight airplanes). The pax birds carry significantly more fuel as they generally have more restrictive landing limits for precision instruent approaches, what is referred to as Category 1. We were a category 3C carrier, which meant that we could fly approaches when the birds were walking. And, after flying 10-12 hours transoceanic flights (e.g., LAX-SYD), the first officer and flight engineer are usually exhausted. The Captain, well, his fingers were usually tired from counting all of his money. So, in a way, both the crew and airplane are out of gas at the destination. It's a lot like getting butt-humped by a 700 pound gorilla: yopu do't stop when you're tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired. :oops:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Whats happening over on the LWRC boards? :?:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts