6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a close call with a rattlesnake . The third time stepping within inches of it I had the Ohh Sh%**#T moment! This snake never rattled. I have heard for a number of years that the Hog pressure on these snakes has naturally selected them to not rattle as to avoid being eaten by Hogs. Any thoughts?
FA0076E2-E79F-4BF3-86D2-F92314CB28A8.png

·
Registered
171 Posts
Lol. From the thread title I thought you were talking about the MSM and Demonrat Pols...

WY doesn't have Hogs, so I haven't run into the non rattlin kind in your pic... we sure got the other kind though...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I had the same thing happen in Estill, SC with a very large Timber rattler over 5ft long, curled up in strike position, right at dusk. I stopped within 3 feet of him and froze for a few moments, set my tree stand down slowly at my feet, cocked my muzzleloader and blew his head off! One of my near death encounters over the years, as the closest medical facility was over an hour away at the time, 40yrs ago. His hide hung on my wall for decades afterward having 12 rattles and a button. Thank God he hissed when I got close enough to strike, but never a rattle did he make.

·
Registered
155 Posts
One of those wow moments watching a Planet Earth episode on BBC. They showed a large rattle snake crawling along until it sensed a rodent trail across a log using it's tongue. It coiled into a strike position to the side of the log and stayed in that position for something like 24 hours until a rat actually ran across the log.....which the snake struck and caught.

·
Registered
417 Posts
We don't have hogs around here, but we do have a lot of buzz worms that won't rattle.
That is blamed on natural selection, because the noisy ones don't live long for one reason or another.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don't have hogs around here, but we do have a lot of buzz worms that won't rattle.
That is blamed on natural selection, because the noisy ones don't live long for one reason or another.
Lol, that’s what you call them! I had to think for a second if I’d ever heard of a creature called a buzzworm 🤣 All I know is a hog will eat anything. As a youngster we raised hogs and the ducks and chickens that wondered into the hog pen oftentimes didn’t make it out

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rattlesnakes don't always rattle. It has nothing to do with feral pigs.
They also don't always strike when you are near them. We have tons of snakes at the ranch, I always wear snake gators on my legs when out in the fields. Several times, I've been less than a foot from rattlesnakes and they never stuck at me. Then I've been 3-4 foot from them, and they strike quite a bit warning you to stay clear.

It does get your attention when one of them does strike and bite the snake gators without warning you by not rattling first, kind of an Oh Chit moment!

·
Super Moderator
12,279 Posts
Rattlesnakes don't always rattle. It has nothing to do with feral pigs.
I agree. Rattlesnakes have been rattling or not rattling for thousands of years. A couple decades of hog infestation isn't likely to change that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Headed up to the dump/transfer station the other morning. The Gal that runs the place was having a fit. :eek: The Porta Potty guy was starting to do his thing when the care taker started freaking out. She's from Texas but must live in the City?
There was a 3+ foot long rattler on the pavement in front of the dump bins. She mentioned it sounded like a tire loosing air at first then got to be more of a "rattle" as the folks moved back. The Porta Potty guy went after it and it ended up falling down the hill under the transfer bins.
Next time I go up there, I'll be taking my .410 with me, just in case. ;)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
In Southern parts rattlers will sometimes come out on otherwise cold winter days to catch a bit of sunshine when the opportunity arises. They're generally sluggish and don't rattle.....had that experience walking down an old logging road one late December.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Neighbor lady called and said there was a rattler in her yard and she didn't want it to bite her dog.
Got there, it was gone under the shed.
Called back about an hour later and said "it's out" so I grabbed the .410 and crossed the street.
Stood there for more than 10 minutes but couldn't see it. It blended in with the leaves. It finally moved and I got it. Cut it's head off, pitched the rest back over the fence into the vineyard so the turkeys had something to eat on. Got the rattle in a bottle. First and only one I've seen in our area.
A few gopher and king snakes but few and far between.

·
Registered
553 Posts
In the past I yearly would attend Rattlesnake Awareness class with my Labradors back in Idaho. While they did not use actual
rattlesnakes, only 1 station out of 5 used an actual rattle sound. The big tell for dogs is the scent regardless if gopher or rattler. Your eyes are your only awareness here in Montana at about 5000ft and below.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If there is no food around, you probably wouldn't see as many snakes? Cats= less mice? Turkeys,Peacocks, etc. will go after snakes.
While talking to the neighbor, saw a Scrub Jay pecking/messing with/killing a small snake maybe 5" or 6" long down the driveway a bit. Probably a gopher snake but if it was small enough, the Jay would have killed it even if it was a rattler.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Our rattlers generally do not rattle, attributed to our wild hog population, and they and the copper heads get sent to the great snake yard in the great beyond, no tolerance for poision snakes that do not warn, But the Indigo snake famalies here on the farm keep the bad actor’s population down real well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I was a kid, Field and Stream had an article about rattle snakes and that they often do not rattle before biting. Since I live in Texas, I always remembered that article and think of it when I am outside in the woods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best tool in the field for them is a square nosed shovel.
A quick wack behind the head renders them useless to control their body.
No muscle control = no strike ability.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Had a couple of ER Doctors that came in the shop quite often. Just happened to have a copy of Fiend & Stream and it contained an article about "electricity" killing snake venom.
In a pinch, pull a spark plug wire and zap the bite area and it neutralizes the venom.
Doctors grabbed the book and I never saw it again. Probably 20+ years ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts