6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have greatly appreciated the help I have gotten here when it comes to reloading and doing it right. For hunting I have worked up an awesome load with the 105 CBB MKZ and AA2200. I am using PPU LRP brass and Winchester LRP. Loaded to a COAL of 2.26 and it is shooting real nice for the kids and wife for big bucks this fall. I load everything on a single stage press so nothing is super speedy. As far as plinking ammo I was playing with the 85 grain MPG, SSA brass and some 5744 I have laying around. Max load is 26.1 and I worked up to 25.5 with absolutely no pressure signs whatsoever. 5744 meters nice but I don't particularly care about precise loads or accuracy with this load. Is there any issue with loading between 25 and 25.5 and calling it a day? For instance if I scoop 25.1 for one round, 25.3 for the next, etc are there any issues with that if I am just looking for something to safely throw some rounds down range and to get my kids comfortable handling the gun?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
26.1 is book max. So if the scoop stays where you are (25-25.5) and you're happy with that accuracy, shouldn't have any issue

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have greatly appreciated the help I have gotten here when it comes to reloading and doing it right. For hunting I have worked up an awesome load with the 105 CBB MKZ and AA2200. I am using PPU LRP brass and Winchester LRP. Loaded to a COAL of 2.26 and it is shooting real nice for the kids and wife for big bucks this fall. I load everything on a single stage press so nothing is super speedy. As far as plinking ammo I was playing with the 85 grain MPG, SSA brass and some 5744 I have laying around. Max load is 26.1 and I worked up to 25.5 with absolutely no pressure signs whatsoever. 5744 meters nice but I don't particularly care about precise loads or accuracy with this load. Is there any issue with loading between 25 and 25.5 and calling it a day? For instance if I scoop 25.1 for one round, 25.3 for the next, etc are there any issues with that if I am just looking for something to safely throw some rounds down range and to get my kids comfortable handling the gun?
You say that you scoop the powder to load your rounds, and then you give a specific weight (e.g. 25.1, 25.3) so I assume that you're scooping the powder, and then weighing it. I didn't look up the load data for 5744, but you state that max load is 26.1 so I'll take your word for it. The word of caution that I would offer is that you not get so "non-precise" that you just start scooping and loading the cases without weighing the charge first. That can only lead to a very dangerous situation, and since your kids are shooting the rifle it could put them in serious danger. Sorry to sound like a cranky old man, but just remember "if something can go wrong, it will". Stay safe.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sounds like a "comfortable" load to me. I'am a mid range guy. No hot loads to beat the crap out of my brass. I load at around 75* so no worries. If the temp jumps to 90*, those loads are still safe. Maybe not bug holes if there's a temp switch but safe and no brass hammering.
Scoop or measure? Do it enough and you'll get the hang of it and a feel for what you're doing.
Scoops? Folks been doing that for years.
Me? Weigh, dump, maybe re measure every 5 or 6 dumps just in case.
Never worried about those few extra kernels. And if it really came down to it, probably not too many others do either.
Be safe and enjoy what you're doing. Having the family involved? :cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
.... I didn't look up the load data for 5744, but you state that max load is 26.1 ........ Stay safe.
I looked up the max in Accurate's data and commented with the max charge.

I've used the Lee scoops in the past and probably loaded 1000 rounds of 10mm, maybe a lot more, using the scoop that came with the die set. (Early 90s, when I was a poor E5)

Reactions: jk07

·
Registered
909 Posts
All depends on what your loading. I hand measure each charge for my 6.8 rounds. For my 10mm I just just the auto dispenser on my turret press.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You say that you scoop the powder to load your rounds, and then you give a specific weight (e.g. 25.1, 25.3) so I assume that you're scooping the powder, and then weighing it. I didn't look up the load data for 5744, but you state that max load is 26.1 so I'll take your word for it. The word of caution that I would offer is that you not get so "non-precise" that you just start scooping and loading the cases without weighing the charge first. That can only lead to a very dangerous situation, and since your kids are shooting the rifle it could put them in serious danger. Sorry to sound like a cranky old man, but just remember "if something can go wrong, it will". Stay safe.
I should have clarified but you are absolutely correct. I scoop using the Lee set just to get close but I am 100% weighing each charge as well. Just not stressing over getting the exact same charge in each case as long as they are below the highest charge I safely tested and within a couple of grains of each other! Sorry that was a poor explanation on my part!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I should have clarified but you are absolutely correct. I scoop using the Lee set just to get close but I am 100% weighing each charge as well. Just not stressing over getting the exact same charge in each case as long as they are below the highest charge I safely tested and within a couple of grains of each other! Sorry that was a poor explanation on my part!
jk07, Glad to hear that you're going about your hand loading process with safety in mind, and I agree that loading for plinking rounds can be a little more lax. I'm also very glad to hear that you're getting your kids involved in shooting sports, as there are way too many communist lefties out there trying to dictate what young people should do.
Stay safe and have fun.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have used the scoops , and a couple of different measures . In each instance I went ahead scaled the correct load in all rifles . In pistols I charge 50 at a time and look in every case , it's surprising how much space .1 gr Unique occupies and doesn't in a 9mm case .

I don't under the blasting ammo mind set I guess . I mean I load a lot of ammo as inexpensively as possible , like $6/100 for 45 Colts and 45-70 and $10/100 cheap for 6.8 , but every load is fired with the desire that it be as accurate as the hunting load . I reason that if the cheap bulk loads are as consistent as the hunting/accuracy loads that they will build confidence in the arm and loads vs the loads that 4" is close enough for 12" gongs from a rifle that will shoot 1.5" on demand ..... That doesn't seem well explained .

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jk07, Glad to hear that you're going about your hand loading process with safety in mind, and I agree that loading for plinking rounds can be a little more lax. I'm also very glad to hear that you're getting your kids involved in shooting sports, as there are way too many communist lefties out there trying to dictate what young people should do.
Stay safe and have fun.
Thanks and they will be ready when the tanks roll in! :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have used the scoops , and a couple of different measures . In each instance I went ahead scaled the correct load in all rifles . In pistols I charge 50 at a time and look in every case , it's surprising how much space .1 gr Unique occupies and doesn't in a 9mm case .

I don't under the blasting ammo mind set I guess . I mean I load a lot of ammo as inexpensively as possible , like $6/100 for 45 Colts and 45-70 and $10/100 cheap for 6.8 , but every load is fired with the desire that it be as accurate as the hunting load . I reason that if the cheap bulk loads are as consistent as the hunting/accuracy loads that they will build confidence in the arm and loads vs the loads that 4" is close enough for 12" gongs from a rifle that will shoot 1.5" on demand ..... That doesn't seem well explained .
Good points here. It made me rethink at least a bit so I appreciate that. Again I should have specified a little better. I am still scooping and weighing each charge and all are within a 10th of a grain or 2 of each other. I then seat each bullet on my single stage press and check each COAL so while every single load may not be exactly the same they are still very close.

One of my approaches I use with my kids when training them on a new gun for hunting is to start them our hitting steel or a box or some other larger than necessary target just to get them used to the gun but still acquiring and hitting a "target" as opposed to just blasting into the berm. Once they are comfortable with the handling and recoil and such of the gun then we start shrinking the size of the target and getting more precise.

·
Registered
650 Posts

Based on accuracy of your scale 0.1 grain could be enough round 0.1 light then next 0.1 grain heavy accuracy will most likely be affected. If your weighing after you dip why not set a ten dollar trickler up and trickle each charge up to the resolution of your scale. Have several Dillon progressives (do not have time to change shell plate, top end and case feeder just to swap loads) and they drop accurate enough for progressive loaded ammo.

Have PACT electronic trickler use for loading mid grade ammo then have two precision electronic scales (one is accurate to 0.0001 grains) we use to drop a charge from RCBS powder measures then trickle up to accuracy of scale. Wife uses the most accurate to segregate bullets and cases by weight then she drops powder charges and trickles them up sometimes removing or addinga single kernel of powder with tweezers. That said have two sets of Lee dippers, some home made dippers to get specific charge from when I began reloading at age 12 and took a year to add a good powder measure to my kit.

Many swear volume gets more consistent load than weight but my experience does not show it. During my teens before added second and third powder measure plus my first Pacific progressive and bet I dipped well over 100,000 charges before the dippers were retired except to use to charge a scale then trickle it up if do not want to reset a powder measure when loading up a small 50 or 100 round run of specialty projectiles.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My old M5 Lyman/Ohaus resolves down to 9 kernels per 1/10 gr of I4350 . Drop , scale , dribble up .

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
All the reloading scales I am aware of claim accuracy to plus or minus 1/10 grain. Throwing your charges with some 1/10 under and some with 1/10 over will have no measurable effect on your loads. You do not need to insure that every load is exactly on. Factory ammo is loaded using a set volume of powder. Factory loads,Lee Scoops or a reloaders powder measure such as a Lyman 450 or any type of powder measure, they all work off volume.

Reactions: jk07

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Eq2 . I had a rifle that 3/10 gr was the difference between .690 and 1.25 " at 100 yd a 1/10 under up to 3/10 under was nil but over added a bullet dia per 1/10 . Of course I had a rifle that a half gr was just extra powder in the case .

·
Registered
397 Posts
The Lee Perfect Powder Measure is under $25 and does very well with extruded powders (like 5744). LEE PERFECT POWDER MEASURE - Titan Reloading

I bought one for extruded powders because the Redding PM I've got doesn't work very well with extruded powders. I weighed 20 throws of IMR4895 and had +/- 0.1g variance. I repeated this 3 times because I wasn't expecting that cheap PM to have that good of reproducibility. I was getting about +/- 0.3gr variance with the Redding PM.

Just mentioning this in case you want to speed up your loading process relatively cheap.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Lee Perfect Powder Measure is under $25 and does very well with extruded powders (like 5744). LEE PERFECT POWDER MEASURE - Titan Reloading

I bought one for extruded powders because the Redding PM I've got doesn't work very well with extruded powders. I weighed 20 throws of IMR4895 and had +/- 0.1g variance. I repeated this 3 times because I wasn't expecting that cheap PM to have that good of reproducibility. I was getting about +/- 0.3gr variance with the Redding PM.

Just mentioning this in case you want to speed up your loading process relatively cheap.
Wow this is great! Thanks for pointing it out, I grabbed one!

·
Registered
650 Posts
When loading on progressives all are dropping from Dillon measures. If at my benches with single stage or turret presses have RCBS Uniflow's, Uniflow's with micrometer metering conversion and Uniflow Competition measures or my PACT electronic trickler if using measures rather than measure into pan then trickle up to that fourth decimal point. Often dip into pan then trickle up but wife handles the precision powder measuring. If have a RCBS Uniflow without the baffle order one now as it will throw much more consistent charges with the baffle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts