6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking around at handguards to replace the plastic ones that came on my stag upper. Im not police/military, nor do I do any competitions, long range/precision shooting, etc. My only intention is to be able to mount a vertical grip and weapon light for more practicality as a home defense rifle, and maybe a bi-pod for hunting and target shooting. So ive been thinking about just getting an aftermarket quad rail handguard that isnt free floating, mainly because of cost, but also because I dont think that I would notice or really benefit from adding a free float rail on there. Am I missing something? Would it really be worth it for me to go with a FF handguard? Opinions, suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
If 1 MOA accuracy is not high on your priority list...you can get by with standard military hand guards.
But if you use a sling while shooting be prepared for some larger or erratic groups.

The free floating hand guards offer measurable improvements in group size.
It's why all serious CMP Service rifle competitors switch to a free float tube to mount service hand guards.

Personally I would not ever go back to service hand guards. A set of YHM four rail floating hand guards and barrel nut are not that expensive and insure better accuracy for a relatively small investment.

However for your purpose as a house gun...a single accessory rail mounted on a standard hand guard will work fine.

Kerry

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
You asked a question that will get the opinions flowing. First, freefloating gives you consistent performance from various shooting positions by eliminating changing pressures or stresses on the barrel caused by shooting stance, sling tension, bipod pressure, vertical foregrip pressure, sand bag pressure, etc. This aids accuracy through consistency.

However, we have fought a few wars with the stock handguards, and many law enforcement and civilian shooters have happily carried their AR's into the field with the stock handguards. I took a carbine class a few years ago, and the course covered shooting from close quarters out to 200 yards. The students with stock handguards hit the same targets that a Marine Major did with a tricked out M4. So I'd say in a utility rifle you can get by without freefloating as long as you know your rifle's capabilities.

I completely agree with Kerry that the YHM Carbine railed freefloat forend, and the customizable forends do not cost much over $100 and would work very well for you. http://www.yhm.net/store/forearms.html . You can also find them on sale sometimes from vendors, and on the EE on AR15.com.

Midwest Industries makes rails that bolt to your GI handguards if you wanted to hang a foregrip or light off the stock handguards. They don't cost much at all if this is what you want.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/ind ... gory_id=93

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
When I was new to the world of AR's, I stupidly bought a bushmaster a2 model. Gun was nice just didnt like the carry handle. I installed a rail on the stock handguard and it worked great. I believe i went with the NCstar rails and they were pretty good quality. You can put on on bottom and one at the top.... only took about 15 minutes to install and 10 minutes of that were spent figuring out how

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
all of my stock uppers have the YHM customizable hand guards on them and i like them , and the M-16s i use in the army have knights manufacturing co rails they are a little heavy but work quite well for combat/ SD work

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ArtFWTx - Thanks for the link to the YHM. I had seen that sight before but didnt even notice the FF handguards at the top of the page were only $140 or so. I think I may end up going with those after all. Now I just have to wait for them to come out with the mid-length. Thanks everyone for your input!!!

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
jbone said:
ArtFWTx - Thanks for the link to the YHM. I had seen that sight before but didn't even notice the FF handguards at the top of the page were only $140 or so. I think I may end up going with those after all. Now I just have to wait for them to come out with the mid-length. Thanks everyone for your input!!!
If your referring to the YHM Mid length "Smooth" FF Handguard...YHM has already made them. They did so for Tim Hicks at Cardinal before he went out of business and sold all his inventory of them. I have a couple which I like a lot. Call YHM for aviailability...

Here is what they looked like before Cardinal sold all they had:

http://www.cardinalarmory.com/cardarm-p ... roduct=139

Kerry

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
236 Posts
owenslee said:
If your referring to the YHM Mid length "Smooth" FF Handguard...YHM has already made them. They did so for Tim Hicks at Cardinal before he went out of business and sold all his inventory of them. I have a couple which I like a lot. Call YHM for aviailability...

Here is what they looked like before Cardinal sold all they had:
http://www.cardinalarmory.com/cardarm-p ... roduct=139
No go, I got an email from them last week saying there weren't any and they had no plans to make any more :(

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
yeah i emailed them a few weeks back to try and see if they would sell them to AR15proformance.threw customer want for there x-tremes and gut this in retern

Sir,
It was a special run and we have no plans to manufacture it in the near future again. With the current run on our
products due to the current political enviroment we can barely keep up with demand on our normal products let
alone doing any special runs of forearms. Sorry.

Thanks,
Tom Camilleri
Sales-Tech
YHM

·
Registered
441 Posts
We already looked at it and the cost would have been significantly higher which woudl have meant the same for your price on the Xtreme.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Wow...Guess I'm now in possesion of "collectors" YHM mid length hand guards.

Kerry

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone know for sure which length free float fore-end the Stag 5H takes? I was pretty sure it was mid-length but the factory handguards are only about 7" which is what I thought was the carbine length. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
jbone said:
Does anyone know for sure which length free float fore-end the Stag 5H takes? I was pretty sure it was mid-length but the factory handguards are only about 7" which is what I thought was the carbine length. Thanks!
Stag's are carbine length gas systems. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank you very much sir! DD Omega rail here I come!... Now I have to decide between black and desert tan. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Tan... always go tan :D

it is easier to spray paint later :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was really leaning towards tan. They are a bit harder to find however. I would like something thta will help to break up its outline a little.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts