6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I walked into Runnings and because I am in there a lot looking for powder and primers, one guy said, hey we got primers, so I bought a few boxes and left some for the rest looking. I also picked up some Valkyrie brass recently. I have quite a bit of 6.8 brass and can actually shoot some if I feel the need t reload it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've found ZERO 6.8 brass. I'm grateful that S&B brass is as good as it is, and if I were desperate for brass, I'd buy S&B ammo, shoot it, and reload it. My annealing equipment and primer gauge have become invaluable to me.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Oh, I thought this thread said "NO BRAS"... dang it.
Been awhile since I commented, but this was so funny I had to stop lurking and give you a thumbs up Bull000.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I been recycling starline 6.8 page for 6 months and nothing. Seen 556 and 223 plenty times come and go along with socom, 308 etc but nothing on 6.8. My 6.8 and tac6 are paper weights in terms of new load development, that’s pretty much all I do anymore is test and tune . Well that’s what I use to do before this

·
Super Moderator
1,884 Posts
If you're waiting on starline, have you emailed them? Maybe enough interest will get them to bump it into the backorder status.

Reactions: Mocadon

·
Registered
5.56, 6.5 CM, 6.8 SPC, 300 Blackout, all AA Piston AR's.
2 Posts
I'm new to reloading for 6.8 SPC. I have about 800 rounds of S&B factory ammo as emergency stock so I shot 12 of those and worked up a load for 110 VMAX with 29.0 grains of Accurate 2200. That gave me 2608 fps at my 4,600' altitude and 85 degrees from my 12.5" ARP barrel.. I didn't see any pressure signs so all I need now is a stockpile of brass. I may just need to buy a few cases of the loaded FMJ from S&B but grrr.

·
Registered
97 Posts
With the poor availability of 6.8 components, I've resorted to 308. Loaded ammo can be had a bit cheaper, and is much easier to get a hold of. I'm finding an Aero M5 to be almost as much fun as 6.8.

The range I go to most often has pickup brass for sale, sorted by caliber. They rarely have 6.8, but when they do it's a bag of 100 cases for $50.
A few days ago I looked and they had 2 big bags of 308 containing 200 cases each for $30. I got them to throw in a bag of 100 for $15 (marked at $20). So after tax I was out the door with 500 pieces of used 308 brass for $81. I can deal with $0.15 a case better than $0.50.
The range doesn't allow FMJ, so the risk of getting many Berdan primed cases seems pretty low. Yeah, learning that not all 308/7.62 Nato brass is boxer primed cost me a decapping pin recently.

308 projectiles seem to be easier to come by, and sometimes cost less. Now large rifle primers and 308 powder. . .

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Guys should of stocked up when Obama was elected....

·
Registered
9,008 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Valkyre case length is 1.600 - 0.20" and SPC is 1.6864 - 0.02" for min spec case, so yup, Valkyie case is shorter. More importantly, the Valkyrie's shoulder starts farther back (1.2033 vs 1.3012").
If you really, really wanted to, you could fire-form 224 Valkyrie cases into 6.8 SPC, but they would still be a little short.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts