6.8 SPC Forums banner

NO BRASS-

8K views 56 replies 31 participants last post by  Bull000 
Remington went down with something stupid like 24 million in pending distribution orders . Thats probably 45-50 million on the shelf . Half of that at $350/1000 in 9mm , 223 , 38 Special, 45 ACP etc . That gap just stayed there and the industry presumably still running 24/6/310 (52 Sundays and a few holidays) can't fill the gap . I'm not making excuses but I think there's enough business folks here that can and have seen both sides .

30 boxes ? Hummmm 600 rounds that's probably 2-3 yr worth true .

I don't know for components the new local place has been filling the gaps on their limited shelves steadily for the last year but we're pretty rural so I don't know if that means their getting stuff or if it's just selling at slower than influx rates .

Reloading ........ This will sound like braggery . It's not , it's just the way it is sometimes . I have spent roughly the price of the rifle on just tools specific to making a case that will fit it and getting a bullet stuck in the case . The rifle was a $165 6.5 Arisaka but the barrel is over sized . Custom bushings for a bushing neck die, custom expander ball , brass has to be formed from something 308/300 Savage family although PPU is making brass for it at about half the price of Norma .
.455 head , .473 rim , .270 groove ..... I don't want to even think about what the first 100 rounds cost .......

The RSAUM might form from WSM but I thought the other Rem Mag was beltless and had to come from Rigby or H&H vs the 300 or 458 WM belted cases .

I'm not going to claim I saw it coming but I layed in when prices came down the last time after the Bario train wreck . My shooting has crawled to a stop ......

All I can tell anyone about reloading is ;
1 . 1000 primers isn't as many as it sounds like it is .
2 . Take a real hard look at how much you shoot having to buy every round now double that and add 50% to that number . That's how much you'll need every year to put an extra 10% away towards the next year .
3 . Using the math above buy 5 yr worth , don't ever include an open box or this year's in the pre plan inventory. Though I hate the phrase " 2 is 1 , and 1 is none ." It applies here .

I don't know what the answer is. I don't think being bent because some jack snipe bought all of a particular cartridge off the shelf helps .......of course buying only half of it would have made 2 or 5 people happy instead of one . I haven't bought a round or any new components since 2017 , I did inherit Dad's stuff late that yr but it's a wreck and aside from some H4831 and 209s there really wasn't much there . Probably about 5 - 10 years for him though . I've loaded about 3,000 rounds in the last 3 years . I did buy 500 45 Auto Rim and 500 SPP ACP . I've bought used dies for 264 WM , 6.5 and 7.7 Japanese. But who's not going buy an RCBS FL set , Forster neck and competition seateing die for the WM and a Lyman and RCBS set for the 6.5 Japanese when the guy only wants $65 and thows in what turned out to be a set of 6.5 -257 Roberts AI dies .
I also bought a Forster case trimmer.......

This whole thing is crap . I've read we have 10 million new shooters over the last 5 years well that's great . I'd venture we've lost that many maybe more to the Reaper . So really it's a flat market for guns . The new guys are shooting more than the old guys ......well yeah it's always been that way . About 25 years ago I read through 30+ years of the American Rifleman over a couple of months . The only thing that's changed since 1968 is the names of the players and the intensity of the game . Frankly I feel like my tin foil lined armadillo hat is about 2 sizes too tight but I really think the cycles are getting shorter and that the public damage for headlines is deliberate , planned and paid .
I'll leave a pile of stuff for my kids but I'm not sure they will want it or use it ....... Hell might not even be legal for them to have by then .

It's long been suggested that if they couldn't get or price guns out of reach for Jane and Joe average they would take the ammo and render the guns useless . California requires a background check to buy ammo , the same 4473 as a gun . If you buy 50 22lr that's expensive as hell it's not bad on 30 boxes of 6mm Arc and 1000 ea 9mm and 223 ........ Only an audit knows you're laying in . That parking ticket in Napa and the sleep aid you got from the doc after the breakup and your dog dieing in the same week , yeah well you failed the background check ....... Years to get that fixed .

I'm sure it's just my hat band being too tight .
There's plenty of product just a few 1000 jerks screwing it all up buying out millions of rounds every day and stripping shelves .

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.