6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a nickel boron carrier in my AR and I was cleaning it last night and for some reason the carrier looks really dark like the coating was slowly coming off. Last time I cleaned it was probably 2 months ago and I used slip 2000 lube. Anyone had the same problem?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine turn from silver to gray.

Idk how dark yours is getting but for it to darken is normal.
Ya that sounds about right. I wasn't sure if the lube was deteriorating the coating or not or if I was doing something wrong thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's normal. NiB is actually not a flat surface. From what I can understand is that it fills the small pores with dirt and carbon that cause it to discolor. Think like the pores on your skin. A nice coating that usually won't discolor is NP3 or just regular Chrome!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I had one I ran 700 suppressed rounds through it it 2 days and it stained it pretty bad. Still functions but looks really dark.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Glad I run the dark colors. No telling what color my bolt would be after weeks of no cleaning. :)

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
You're supposed to clean them? :a24:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Mine have gotten darker but still function flawlessly. The hogs can't see the glint off a new shinny one anymore. 🤓🤓🤓😳

·
Registered
121 Posts
But they look good clean and slick.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!
For those that share your enthusiasm for a clean carrier/bolt, what's the most effective process for cleaning inside the carrier?

Trying to get the area that tapers down to the firing pin hole.........

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
For those that share your enthusiasm for a clean carrier/bolt, what's the most effective process for cleaning inside the carrier?

A pipe cleaner is all I've ever used inside the bolt where the firing pin resides.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I use the OTIS BONE tool for my 6.8 and 308 and it's one of the best things I've invested in for my guns

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've got the real avid cleaner, and my Son has the BONE tool and the CAT4.......

The area I'm trying to get carbon removed is where the gas key port enters the rear of the chamber behind where the gas rings ride; and it tapers down to the port for the boat tail/firing pin.....

My description may be clear as mud, huh?

Not my pic.......but this may help:

Auto part

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Chamber brush soaked in Hoppes and spun in a drill.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i use my hornady ultra sonic cleaner along with their parts cleaner, for about 12 minutes, get the last of the carbon out of the chrome lined part with the otis tool or sometimes use a 1/4" oak dowel about 6-8" long, the bore brush and drill sounds like a good choice, but i'd use nylon brush after a good soaking

·
Registered
121 Posts
i use my hornady ultra sonic cleaner along with their parts cleaner, for about 12 minutes, get the last of the carbon out of the chrome lined part with the otis tool or sometimes use a 1/4" oak dowel about 6-8" long, the bore brush and drill sounds like a good choice, but i'd use nylon brush after a good soaking
Thanks for your reply, crayj!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts