6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finished my 6.8 SPC upper assembly and was looking to put a Red Dot on it. All it has right now is a set of A.R.M.S. #71L for back up. I have a Sig Romeo 5 on my old truck AR an it's alright and cheap enough not to worry about it getting banged up. I am thinking of upping the Dot for this rifle though. I have a few contenders in mind:
TRIJICON MRO HD
TRIJICON MRO
Aimpoint Duty RDS
Sig Romeo 4H

Kind of hard to keep everything around same price. I do know I want it to utilize a CR 2032 battery and don't care about it having solar, mainly since ones with solar move the light adjustments off the top where I like them, sorry Aimpoint. Mount not really very important, will probably get a Scalarworks one for it.

Plus and minus is to all;
TRIJICON are American made and have 68 MOA Reticle or just a 2.0 MOA Dot in HD. Non HD just the dot. The HD is nice since I like the the 68 MOA Reticle though is it worth the extra cash? The regular MRO also as a green version.

Thoughts on green vs. red? I never seen the green ones.

Aimpoint RDS falls price wise between the MRO an MRO HD and I think is their attempt at a cheaper, well compared to their T & H series, for people not looking to break the bank.

Romeo 4 has some choices of reticles, including a green one and is also a bit bigger and heavier.

The TRIJICONs are 25mm lens while the others are 20mm. Should one be favored over the other?

· Registered
364 Posts
You can get more usage out of an Lpvo for close to the same price, it can be illuminated horseshoe dot and utilize the said battery.

If you are intent on a red dot, my only experience is the Holosun which is good for the price.

Check thread history here, im sure you’ll find what you are looking for.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Personal I prefer my Swampfox Tomahawk LVPO. Its an awesome reticle and very good quality for the price point. If you want performance up close with a better reticle than a dot, you could go with a prism scope. I have the Swampfox Blade (1x) on my 10mm SBR. Again the reticle is awesome and works fine for its purpose. I replaced my Romeo 5 and magnifier setup on my SBR with the Blade.

· Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
I kind like my PA microprism AFA nonmagnified optic. If the illum fails you still have an etched reticle which means you might be able to ditch your BUS if you're comfortable with that idea.

· Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I kind like my PA microprism AFA nonmagnified optic. If the illum fails you still have an etched reticle which means you might be able to ditch your BUS if you're comfortable with that idea.
I like mine as well. I also like the Holosun with the Vulcan reticle from PA. I like green dots more than red.

The Holosun for hand guns.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Don't buy the Sig, but if you do, buy mine (I just posted a used 4c for sale a minute ago!).

While I don't have either, I think you'll be happy with either the MRO or Duty RDS. (my stable includes Aimpoint compM4, H1, and Pro, Sig Romeo5 and Romeo4, EOTechs, and LPVOs) I do like the circle-dot reticles and try to buy American, so the MRO HD has a lot going for it. I generally hear very positive things about the MRO but I've found I generally prefer EOTech HWS over RDS because I love the big window, unless weight/compactness is a priority where the Aimpoint Micro's (or clones like the Romeo5) shine. But, I also prefer a big tube over a little tube and the larger Aimpoints are about as heavy duty and reliable as you can get, so I like those over the micros on "duty" builds. In other words, there are a couple of trade-offs you'll have to decide on. The Aimpoint Duty RDS is priced very well for the capability. While Holosun has a great reputation (and I'm pretty sure they make the Sig stuff), I really try to avoid sending my money to China.

Regarding the comments on LPVO, I presume you've already been through that thought process on your own. Both the RDS and LPVO have their place but they serve different roles. There's always a trade off. A local policeman just took down a bad guy from 180 yards with a single shot from his AR with a RDS.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have looked at the LPVO options but size/weight wise it falls short for this build. My 6.8 upper is light with 16" YHM fluted barrel and a Foxtrot Mike 8.5" slim M-Lok rail. I have a larger build coming that will be for more a DM type 5.56 that I will go with a scope or LPVO. Have an under folder AK with an EOTech EXPS3 on it. That combo is not light but is compact and definitely shall we say robust.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BoilerUp
The MRO HD is suppose to be a tad sharper than the original and they say is better with a magnifier which I have never used. I do like the idea of maybe down the road trying a magnifier but then again if adding a magnifier to a MRO HD you might have just went the LPVO route. The HD lets you do the dot or circle/dot. I like the circle/dot on my EOTech, but it does not have the buttons on top like my Romeo5. Checking Palmetto State plain MRO $430 and HD version $640. The Swedes do a few annoying things though... The T-2 has those stupid caps and both T-2 /RDS use a T15 for adjusting windage/elevation. RDS also has small button on side like the EOTech which are not a favorite spot.

If I was Goldilocks, the Holosun HS515GM is pretty close to what I actually like, but why does it have to be made in China. It unfortunately isn't a price issue as I would pay more if it was made here but the feature set I like is there; I like buttons on the top, comes with QD mount, plus can choose between dot or circle/dot. About the only place it falls short is it use stupid cap on turrets but you don't need T15 to adjust like the RDS. At under $300 it is hard to beat with most features I prefer.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
I hadn't looked at the MROs much for a while and didn't realize they have 3 (or arguably 4 if you count the green dot) models out now. In looking into the differences I came across a pretty scathing YT video of the MRO that would give me pause to go that route. It seems Trijicon has really struggled with Red Dots. I wish they could have got their SRS figured out as I actually like it but I just don't trust it.

I do prefer dials over buttons, which is my big turn-off on the Aimpoint Duty RDS. That's really the only thing I don't like about EOTechs. Aimpoint's top dog right now is really the CompM5 but they are pricey. And a correction, my Micro is a T1 with 2MOA dot. This is on the carbine I probably shoot the most and is what I ran in a course earlier this year. It was fantastic. So, if you want light weight and ruggedness, the Micro's really are the gold standard and why all the cheap stuff copies it. I will say for the cheap micros I prefer the Vortex Crossfire over the Romeo5 because you get a dial instead of buttons, plus Vortex's awesome customer service and warranty. If you want a bit more "robustness", the Aimpoint PRO is really nice, and the dial is very quick to positively adjust vs buttons.

If you like HWS at all, riflegear.com currently has the Vortex AMG UH-1 on sale for $450. I've been wanting to try one of those. I'd also like to try a mini-ACOG some day on a lightweight build and see how I like those.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BoilerUp
At the range Sunday 30OCT22. God am I blind. Not sure BUIS are worth it since I can barely see them even with glasses, seems hard to get a good sight picture anymore. Can only clearly see only one sight depending on which glasses I use. But must say those are my failures and will look into getting dedicated shooting glasses. I do like the A.R.M.S. #71L sights over those Magpul ones every one else uses. Yeah red dot now moved way up on list of things to get next. My cousin showed up and he brought a new MRO HD for me to look at. Now this was new and he didn't have it in a mount yet. I found turning the knob a little hard. Do to it being brand new or not locked on to rifle might of contributed to that. The glass was VERY nice. The circle dot I liked. The plain dot wasn't quite as sharp and reminded me more of the Sig Romeo 5, though it would be brighter, which being up on the top setting might of added to that. Bring on Black Friday sale.

Looked at the Vortex AMG UH-1. Not a fan of that boxy look. Did like the retention for the battery cap, wish battery wasn't CR123. All ready have enough battery types to keep track of. Also they have the little buttons on the back which is why EOTech moved their little buttons to the side for easier use with a magnifier. The CompM5b is pretty nice and already carry some triple A batteries. Is a bit bigger and heavier than the T2 or RDS, not wanting to fat shame them as I am called Biggie for a reason. Trying to keep this rifle light, getting old. Can remember when 50lb of dog food was nothing, now they make the bags lighter and they feel F'n heavier. Getting old not as fun as it looks but still beats alternative.

Is that lower engraved with the flag? I vaguely remember (see getting old above) a sticker of some kind from someone also for that. Who's lower is that? I would love to buy a new lower unfortunately I live in the land of stupidity better known as Mass-of-two-shits. Can buy an old one i.e. pre-ban one. They like to pretend we still have a ban but can go buy 30 year old stuff at a premium or buy a new Hellion or Trevor. I have to figure the Minute Men are rolling over in their graves.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
Just going to re-throw in a prism option. A few yrs ago I had PRK. I was close to needing readers anyways and had astigmatism, but the surgery kicked me in that zone for sure. I can still do a .mil peep/post setup but when I got the Primary Arms microprism I got rid of the BUIS since, even if the illum fails, the reticle is etched. However, the best thing about the prism is that I can focus the ocular lens to me. The reticle is sharp with or without illum. It's pretty dang light too.
Automotive tire Gas Sculpture Machine Motor vehicle

On my 12.5ARP, easy hits at 200yds.

· Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Here is my 12.5 ARP with a PA prism green dot and I agree, out to 200 yds is no problem. I had been interested for some time and after watching it hit steel at 200 yards on a drizzlely day, I ordered one. My son came up with his new .308 Gunsite Scout and a new Stribog S and we slapped it on them where it also worked very well. I like the Chevron "dot" much better than the conventional round dots.

I was already stuck on green as it works much better with my old eyes.
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Wood Gas

Wood Guitar accessory Material property String instrument accessory Tool

· Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
I was just looking at this same thing. I went with the Sig Romeo 4T because the MRO did not have the shake awake feature or what ever you call it. Have to turn it on every time and adjust the brightness or at least that was what I thought. What problems are there with the Sig that I should know about?

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Is that lower engraved with the flag?
Yep, that's the Aero Precision Freedom receiver set. The upper has a little laser engraved flag on it, too, but it's on the top so it's underneath the BUIS.

Sounds like you've decided to wait for a good price on the MRO HD?

Regarding prisms, I personally just find they fill a different role than Red Dots. Noting is going to beat a RDS/HWS for speed. Place the RDS/HWS forward and shoot both eyes open. Your FOV is whatever you can see. A Vortex Razor 1-6x24 at 1x with the illum center dot is close to a red dot. With prisms, you bring eye relief and eye box back into the equation. A magnified prism as a more compact/lighter alternative to an LPVO or a cheaper alternative than an ACOG makes sense to me, but they aren't red dots.

FWIW, my 12.5" 6.8 sports an ACOG with a green donut which is good for deer inside of 200 yards at dawn / dusk (I need some magnification so I can count points to ensure the buck is legal). My Aimpoints & EOTechs are for dangerous 2-legged critters that come into the house w/o invitation. The circle dot reticle has an advantage in that scenario as the bottom of the ring is a good aiming point to account for height over bore at close distance.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well some good points all around. Older I get the more I have a "senior" moments. The EOTech use CR123 batteries. I had CR2 on the mind since I just changed one in my sisters camera and they are close in size. Remembered when I went to get a wrench out of AK grip do to another "senior" moment of not remembering where I left the previous wrench. I keep an extra battery in the the grip along with an ALG Defense ample of Go-Juice. I do like the prism ones that are greater than 1X but don't see much an advantage over a red dot for 1X, usually bigger and heavier (yes neither by much) and eye relief comes into play more. I would definitely consider them for my next build of something of DM type rifle, along with a LVPO. For that build I was originally considering a KAPS 4X36. Kind of a nostalgia thing for the 4X, though KAPS hard to find here. They are an upgrade to 30mm tube from the old Bushnell Banner, Leupold and Weaver 4X from back in the day. Learned a lot on those back then. I also do like the AGOG in 4X but it is just way to big and heavy for this build. Yes, going to IT and to swing that old M1 Garand around at Great Mistakes has left me not fond of heavy very much, especially as I get older (see above about dog food weight). So the Red dot is winning for this build. I did go and look at Primary Arms to check the prism that were suggested and found another sight I will need to think about. Any thoughts on the Primary Arms SLx Advanced Push Button Micro Red Dot Sight - Gen II? It has the push buttons I like. over the dial and seems to fit the requirements I have. Has anyone tried one? So now were down to:
Trijicon MRO HD
Holosun HS515GM
PA SLx push button

Let Black Friday sales decide?

EOTech on AK, I do like and makes quite the robust combo.
Wood Trigger Air gun Shotgun Machine gun

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Well some good points all around. Older I get the more I have a "senior" moments. The EOTech use CR123 batteries. I had CR2 on the mind since I just changed one in my sisters camera and they are close in size. Remembered when I went to get a wrench out of AK grip do to another "senior" moment of not remembering where I left the previous wrench. I keep an extra battery in the the grip along with an ALG Defense ample of Go-Juice. I do like the prism ones that are greater than 1X but don't see much an advantage over a red dot for 1X, usually bigger and heavier (yes neither by much) and eye relief comes into play more. I would definitely consider them for my next build of something of DM type rifle, along with a LVPO. For that build I was originally considering a KAPS 4X36. Kind of a nostalgia thing for the 4X, though KAPS hard to find here. They are an upgrade to 30mm tube from the old Bushnell Banner, Leupold and Weaver 4X from back in the day. Learned a lot on those back then. I also do like the AGOG in 4X but it is just way to big and heavy for this build. Yes, going to IT and to swing that old M1 Garand around at Great Mistakes has left me not fond of heavy very much, especially as I get older (see above about dog food weight). So the Red dot is winning for this build. I did go and look at Primary Arms to check the prism that were suggested and found another sight I will need to think about. Any thoughts on the Primary Arms SLx Advanced Push Button Micro Red Dot Sight - Gen II? It has the push buttons I like. over the dial and seems to fit the requirements I have. Has anyone tried one? So now were down to:
Trijicon MRO HD
Holosun HS515GM
PA SLx push button

Let Black Friday sales decide?

EOTech on AK, I do like and makes quite the robust combo.
View attachment 77752
The advantage of prisms over red dots is an etched reticle so even with no batteries they still work. Also no fuzzy dot for those with astigmatism.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not to worried about running out of battery power, I put in a new battery every year. Carry extra battery in Ergo grip. I do like the idea of the etched reticle but the low probability of the battery dying is why there are BUIS. Hopefully new glasses will help me use them. Not sure the disadvantage of size, weight (which are small) and eye relief (which isn't small) worth it for this build. I do like running the Sig and EOTech pretty far forward and using both eyes. Looks like there is no circle choice for the reticle on the PA SLx push button red dot. Then there were two.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Its all up to you. I can only say what my experience with them have been. I have had both on my guns. I use a 2 MOA dot on my pistols, I have a slight astigmatism so even with my glasses I get a starburst instead of a dot. So I limit my self to about 50 yards with that. Prisms just work better for my eyesight, which is why I switched from a dot sight on my SBR.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts