6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have all the equipment and just now starting to play around Haven’t started reloading yet but reading a ton so forgive me if this seems like a dumb question about reloading once fired boxed ammo

Do manufacturers use the same brass across all lines of their ammo?

Example.
Is the brass S&B uses for their cheaper FMJ line the same the same brass for their more expensive line? Same for Remington, Winchester and Federal

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Have all the equipment and just now starting to play around Haven’t started reloading yet but reading a ton so forgive me if this seems like a dumb question about reloading once fired boxed ammo

Do manufacturers use the same brass across all lines of their ammo?

Example.
Is the brass S&B uses for their cheaper FMJ line the same the same brass for their more expensive line? Same for Remington, Winchester and Federal
Sometimes yes but don't count on it . For instance Hornady may be loaded with Hornady made brass stamped Hornady or with S&B brass stamped Hornady . I think the ones I have that were S&B made were loaded with 120 SST and the Hornady made were v Max loads . The S&B brass has 6,8 where as the Hornady has 6.8 . I weigh each case to be sure because I can see the numbers on the scale better than on the case . S&B cases and Hornady cases made by S&B weigh less than Hornady made cases. With other manufacturers I have not found a difference yet but still weigh any new cases just to be sure nothing has changed

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Sometimes yes but don't count on it . For instance Hornady may be loaded with Hornady made brass stamped Hornady or with S&B brass stamped Hornady . I think the ones I have that were S&B made were loaded with 120 SST and the Hornady made were v Max loads . The S&B brass has 6,8 where as the Hornady has 6.8 . I weigh each case to be sure because I can see the numbers on the scale better than on the case . S&B cases and Hornady cases made by S&B weigh less than Hornady made cases. With other manufacturers I have not found a difference yet but still weigh any new cases just to be sure nothing has changed

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
S&B stopped making brass for Hornady over a year ago. So there maybe some Hornady ammo with S&B made brass floating around but nothing new in over a year.
When the contract expired they did not renew it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I thought about adding that too. I get 2 weights, dry (fired and cleaned with spent primer) and wet (filled to convex with distilled water). They are stored in a 50 rnd box when I have enough I pull them and make a sorted box. Both times the weights are recorded and kept with box. When loaded that all goes into that box of cases excel file until cases are retired.

·
Registered
I like guns
64 Posts
Earlytom seems to be on the ball! I sort everything by headstamp, but typically don't sort pistol brass by weight.

Some brands +P is thicker, others not.

Remington used to load 38 wadcutters in thinner cases, don't know if they still do.

Good luck reloading, be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
In addition to the great comments here....

Purely based on my experience is if I keep the powder charge well under max pressure I can use any brass. I typically use this method for plinking loads.

For best accuracy at the highest FPS I will sort by brass make and lot. Meaning I take a lot of brass, develop a load then reserve that lot of brass for that specific load and gun combo.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In addition to the great comments here....

Purely based on my experience is if I keep the powder charge well under max pressure I can use any brass. I typically use this method for plinking loads.

For best accuracy at the highest FPS I will sort by brass make and lot. Meaning I take a lot of brass, develop a load then reserve that lot of brass for that specific load and gun combo.
I do the exactly the same, for all the various rifle calibers I load.

As an example, for .223/5.56 I separate out Lake City, a few other headstamps if there are a lot of them and then "everything else". The "everything else" bin gets loaded with moderate H335 charges under 55 gr plinkers. The charge is mild enough variances in case capacity may have some effect on accuracy, but not on safety. And since my accuracy goal for plinkers is better than 3 MOA, the case variance really has no effect on practical accuracy.

The only pistol brass I do any sorting on is magnum revolver when I plan to load true magnum charges. Otherwise, sort by caliber and call it done :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts