6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I ordered a new 6.8 5R 16" scout from ARP. I also decided I liked the SLR Solo Lite hand grips so I ordered those as well. I have decided to get the set screw version unless someone has a compelling reason to get the clamp on version, but from what I have read on here, everyone seems to have different opinions with no clear winner.

I have three questions.

1. My understanding is that the ARP barrel has one dimple, would it be advisable/necessary to drill an additional dimple?
2. Is it necessary to use something to seal around the gas block when I install it?
3. SLR offers two Sentry 7 gas blocks, which is the correct one? Hopefully the first as that is what I ordered.

Sentry .750" Set Screw Version - Melonite QPQ Finish
.400" Set Screw Spacing
Gen-4
1.3oz

And

Sentry .750" Set Screw Version - Melonite QPQ Finish
.450" Set Screw Spacing
Gen-4
1.3oz

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
hello, i'll give it a whirl

1. One dimple is all i use
2. I put blue loctite on the end cap of the gas tube and in the 2 slots on the end, i also run a ring of blue loctite in the area where the gas tube will exit the block
3. using only 1 dimple it shouldn't matter which block you ordered
4. after i'm certain i have the rear screw in the dimple, i'll blue loctite the front screw and tighten, then i do the same with the rear screw. check it with a compressor blowing air down the bore from the muzzle, seal the chamber with my thumb and hold a finger at the receiver end of the tube

if other folks have an opinion i'm sure they'll chime in

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

check it with a compressor blowing air down the bore from the muzzle, seal the chamber with my thumb and hold a finger at the receiver end of the tube
I didn't think about that, thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts

1. One dimple is all i use
2. I put blue loctite on the end cap of the gas tube and in the 2 slots on the end, i also run a ring of blue loctite in the area where the gas tube will exit the block
3. using only 1 dimple it shouldn't matter which block you ordered
4. after i'm certain i have the rear screw in the dimple, i'll blue loctite the front screw and tighten, then i do the same with the rear screw. check it with a compressor blowing air down the bore from the muzzle, seal the chamber with my thumb and hold a finger at the receiver end of the tube

if other folks have an opinion i'm sure they'll chime in
This is also the way I do it. That SLR gas block is a fine choice; I have one on my 18" 223 Wylde build, and it does a great job.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Either will work. I have the first (.400") on my ARP barrel. I believe the .450" was made to match up to the dimples on Larue barrels (apparently they have multiple dimples). One dimple is all you need. If you are concerned about the gas black moving then pinning it would be better than adding a second dimple (in my opinion).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts