6.8 SPC Forums banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
Happy New Year to you all!

Next up we have the Speer 125TNT. From the last range trip the suggestion was to shoot three groups of three to look for accuracy, with the suppressor. My shooting may have been off, I don't know. Group 1 I like, 2 and 3... well...

Recreation Circle Precision sports Shooting Font

Circle Recreation Precision sports Font Symbol

Circle Font Recreation Symbol Precision sports

The brass from those rounds:

Handwriting Font Circle Event Number

· Registered
1,131 Posts
I see most folks working up subs in the range of 1000-1050fps. Will 950 do? Sure. Without knowing more about the cartridge, powder, etc., it seems these are still on the slow side of what a sub load should be. Vague requirements, I understand. Simply making observations.
Ah, I got you. Yeah, from my notes, I'm getting about 1100 fps with 10.0gr of H110 on a 78 degree day.

For 125gr, I've been using Hornady HP as a cheap plinking round. With those and H110 I haven't gone over 18.0 gr but I got the best accuracy so far around 17.6-17.8 and around 1900 fps out of my 8.5" barrel.

I haven't really chased groups too far with my 300 as it's really set up as a HD gun loaded with 110 gr Barnes TAC-TX. My hand loads are just for range practice but I'm usually shooting steel inside 50 yards. That said, I do bench rest and take my time during load development and thinking I've always been able to get within ~1.5MOA or better

· Registered
5,028 Posts
Jellysick, if you are happy with group 1 go for it. You could also take group 3 (which has promise) and adjust COAL to tighten the group up. You will need to know what your distance to the lands is. Go closer to the lands if you have room but stay at least 0.010" away, more if not a precision bullet. I use 0.015" to 0.025" increments. Two examples below showing how adjustments to COAL can benefit accuracy. Range was 100 and 200 yards, respectively.

Triangle Orange Rectangle Floor Amber

Product Organism Font Circle Design

Reactions: Jellysick

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
Jellysick, if you are happy with group 1 go for it.
I know, I appreciate it too. Groups 1, 2, and 3 were the same load, just groups to test accuracy. I think it was a bad test though given the results. As with using this 25yd range, I'm looking to keep things relatively simple for now. Going to shoot that load again, paying a bit more attention to accuracy to see how it prints.

Lastly, I loaded up some Barnes 110gr TAC-TX over H110. The load data indicated max was 20.2gr. Curious on your input on this ladder:

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

(that is a "1" for the furthest most hole to the left, #3 being the furthest to the right, and a "2" with a small arrow pointing to the hole next to the #3).

Circle Font Happy Recreation Symbol

Handwriting Black Font Rectangle Line

With the way the rounds printed the target, I'm not sure what to make of them with Xman's approach. I have a feeling TC might focus in on #2 and #3 based on velocity in relation to one another. I will potentially be using this round for hunting so velocity and accuracy matter more than what I've loaded up to this point. The rounds loaded up to this point have been for my own learning benefit as relates to reloading, and to have something to use for target practice.

Attachments

· Registered
5,028 Posts
I would try 19.7gr of H110. You used the word "simple." I have already lost count of how many loads you are trying to work up at the same time. You have pretty good documentation, but I couldn't handle juggling that may different loads.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
There's 4 loads in development. :)

But I hear you. I'm working on each one separately to make sure nothing gets crossed, paying close attention as I go. Reason for multiple loads is only shooting 10 or so of each at any given time, makes better use of range time.

· Registered
185 Posts
Hey Jelly,
With regards to the 125gr TNT I have tried almost every conceivable supersonic load imaginable with AA1680, H110 and Lilgun. Got some near 1" groups along the way but wasn't good enough or consistent enough for me. Then tried Allient Power Pro 300MP at 17.7gr, 2.075 COL, light Lee FCD crimp and just WOW!!! near .5" groups, or better, consistently at 100yds out of three different 16" uppers. Different brands of primers and brass don't seem to make an appreciable difference although WSR's are my favorite with this load. Shoots around 2120 FPS. Wish I could take credit for this load but I cannot. Was told about it by a fellow I ran into at a gun show a few years back. He told me that that this load was sub MOA in dozens of different guns/barrels that he and other folks had shot it in. Told me that to his knowledge there was only a single gun that wouldn't consistently shoot this load sub MOA but that gun would shoot it 1.25" consistently at 100yds. Seems to me that I also read something about this exact load on the 300BlkTalk webstite too. Lots of good info available on that site pertaining to 300Blk. Good luck in your endeavors!

· Registered
1,131 Posts
My pet load for 110gr TAC-TX is 18.7gr of H110. That gets me around 2090-2100 fps out of my 8.5" which mimics the Barnes factory load which is what I was after so I could have the same POI. The fact that your velocity "plateaued" at 18.8-19.1gr is exactly what I like to look for, presuming the accuracy is good. Testing out in the area and validating that data let's you load with confidence that +/- a tenth of grain in your process really won't matter on the target.

To Xman's point, when I started reloading I tried several different bullets for each caliber so I could "figure out what my rifle liked". Now, I pick one known-good bullet for intended primary purpose (e.g., SMK for long range shooting, VLD or Accubond for hunting, TAC-TX for home defense) and maybe one additional cheap round for plinking and only move off of those if I can't get them to shoot well - really trying to stay at only one or two loads per rifle.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I hear what you all are saying. It's not my intention to maintain this many loads. I bought the 150s and 125s for plinking, reloading both to see what shoots best. Then a sub load, and the 110s. That's all I intend to keep around.

· Registered
455 Posts
Lastly, I loaded up some Barnes 110gr TAC-TX over H110. The load data indicated max was 20.2gr. Curious on your input on this ladder:

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

Input below:

I want to focus on shot #2 and Shot #3 above in the chart.

#2 (18.8 grains) produced 2076 FPS.

#3 (19.1 grains) produced 2075 FPS.

The difference between the two is 1 FPS. I would like to see two things:

1. A 3 shot group with 19.0 grains. This group will be for POI at 25 yards.
2. A 5 shot group with 19.0 grains. Each shot chronied for speed with each FPS listed per shot.

Does that make sense?

TC

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Checking back in, went to the 100yd range today as it was a beautiful 65* day. Over the last week I mounted up a 3-9x40 Nikon scope that I forgot I had which used to sit on a Savage 30-06. I have NEVER liked this scope, something about the eye relief I simply cannot get used to. It was mounted on an Aero Precision extended scope mount (the same one I have on my 6.8 w/ the Vortex Viper scope). I figured (was hoping) this setup would be enough to really test some of these loads.

@just_me_mongo - I didn't see your post relating to the 110gr TAC-TX at 18.8gr and 19.1gr until just now so I did not get to test these. Appreciate your input though.

I'll start by saying, my shooting is NOT very good, apparently. The only factory ammo I had was S&B 147gr FMJ so that is what I used to zero at 100yds.

1. I tested 19.7gr H110 and 20.0gr H110 with the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX. There was a noticeable improvement in group size at the 19.7gr charge, the best 3 shot group of the several shot was 2 MOA on paper at 100yds. (like I said, I thought I had better skills than that but that's what I get when I get out to shoot a handful of times a year).

2. I tested the Hornady 150gr FMJBT at 16.5gr H110 as Xman noted several posts back. This was not an impressive grouping, a fairly large spread out of two 3 shot groups, around 4 MOA at 100yds. I'll probably fall back to the other charge that looked to show potential for this load.

3. I tested 11.0gr and 11.5gr of AA1680 with the Berry's 220gr projectile. I wasn't even on paper at 100yds, due to the low velocity compared to what I had sighted in with. At 50yds the end result was ~2 MOA for the 11.5gr load, closer to 3MOA for the 11.0gr load. Fun to experiment with, for the purposes of this load the difference doesn't really matter one bit. I will likely use up the 1680 I have an try another powder for subs, I hear IMR 4227 is worth a shot.

To wrap up the range visit I shot 10 rounds of the 147gr S&B as a single group. End result was ~3MOA.

I'll say the results are sufficient enough to point out the differences in each load, which is helpful. I can also say I still HATE this Nikon 3-9x40 scope, and I've got plenty of room to improve as a marksman. Several comments from adjacent shooters about the suppressor are always fun. One of the range officers also commented how quiet it was. :)

· Registered
5,028 Posts
Jelly, looks like you're having loads of fun during your recoil therapy sessions. This thread has been helpful for me also. I've been using and reloading my BO more lately as I harvested a doe and have been testing 150 grain bullets. Be Safe, Xman

Reactions: Jellysick

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Maybe to restore some credibility, thought I’d share this…. I went to the 25yd indoor range today to shoot a few ladders in my 16” ARP 6.8SPC rifle. This clearly will not work as I cannot determine impact of one round versus another. This is a 9 round ladder. I gave up, need to figure out a 100yd method. This was 110gr Hornady HPBT w/ AA2200.

Font Circle Art Recreation Symbol

· Registered
5,028 Posts
Jellysick, your credibility was never tarnished. This makes you appreciate the accuracy of your 6.8. Just for grins, what was the powder charge of #6 thru #9?

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
27.6gr and 27.8gr

Not sure what you have in mind, but that lower most number is a poorly written “5”. I think 6& 7 are buried in the midst of that ragged hole. 8 and 9 are the outliers that are not marked.

· Registered
5,028 Posts
(39) 110gr Hornady HPBT info | 6.8 SPC Forums (68forums.com)

You might want to check out this thread. 0.3 grain increments work better for me and I have given up using the bottom half of published load data. I always find accuracy closer to the top when the case is nearly full plus it provides for a flatter trajectory and more KE on impact.

Keep trucking. You are doing good.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
@Xman, thanks for that thread, I'll take a look. These rounds were loaded in 2017. At the time I didn't have a chrono and reloading was put on pause. I believe what I learned at the time was .2gr increments were good. I see the approach has been adjusted.

This was an odd ladder. I feel something might be off with my record keeping (given they were loaded 6yrs ago), my results don't align with what I'm reading others are getting out of a 16" barrel (16" ARP Barrel, upper was build by Brett at Ironworks Tactical). In addition, last spring I swapped out the gas block for an adjustable version and dialed the gas back so that it would just run with the suppressor. I forgot that I had done this, and as such none of these rounds locked the bolt back. At the time I was completely stumped but after I left I remembered about the gas block, so that's what I'm attributing to that scenario. Next range trip I'll readjust w/ factory ammo before messing with the reloads.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

The brass used is Federal, once fired out of this rifle and sized with a .003" shoulder bump. My observations, based on the charge I would expect I'm closer to 2700fps. In addition as you can see in the notes the last two cases had cracks in their necks after firing. I was prepared to shoot another ladder of the exact same loads (just for comparison, because I'm a novice) but I was stumped and concerned, too many details that I could not make sense of so I packed everything up and went home.

Handwriting Font Rectangle Motor vehicle Gas

The last round to the right in the above photo is 28.4gr.

A close up shot of primers for the last 5 rounds in the ladder:

Gold Circle Font Electric blue Metal

These are the cracked cases.

Font Bullet Material property Household hardware Gun accessory

Finger Thumb Technology Office supplies Electric blue

I'm thinking I may pull the projectile out of that 2nd ladder I mentioned and start over. I know I paid attention to bumping the shoulder back .003", COAL was 2.285 as noted. Curious what you all have to say about this.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 110 Posts