6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. 36 yr old from Galveston County, TX. Avid duck/deer hunter and fisherman. My deer lease is in Fredricksburg, TX and I duck hunt in Port O'Connor, TX.
I am an AR newbie in the process of assembling my first black rifle: I bought a complete unused lower from an individual. It is a DPMS with CAA adjustable stock with cheek piece, and CAA grip with inserts and a Chip McCormick match trigger. I knew I wanted a 6.8 upper, so I lurked here and found out about Ko-Tonics. I placed an order last week with Cardinal Arms for a KT68 - RSM8 complete upper with carrier/bolt assembly. Then I ordered a Larue Tactical SPR-E scope mount and a Millet1 1-4x24 DMS scope (on backorder with SWFA). Today I ordered some ammo from Silver State, the 110 grain pro hunter stuff.
How am I doing so far?
I hope in the next few weeks to get everything put together so I can post some pics and a range report. I can see now why this is a disease. I thought 1911s were bad. :!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Welcome , and dont stop with just one . I didn't. I started out with a stag 20" then 16", 24" bull ,Dpms 308, And Now the 6.8. I only like one gun now Barrett M107 . Hows it Shoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, dude. Don't think I will be able to stop. I will post some pics and a report as soon as I get it all assembled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Welcome Trident. You are doing great so far with your selections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Paulo. This board rocks thanks to guys like you. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I have spent hours here already soaking it all in... hopefully I will have some good substance to add as I gain experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Welcome fellow Texan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Welcome Trident71

I have a ton of family all over your area. Kemah, League City, Alvin, Clear Lake, Friendswood. Man has everything grown down there. You use to be able to hit some of the back road and hunt, screw around, what have you. Now every where there are houses and strip malls. Glad you found the site. Jump right in and make yourself at home

On your choices you are doing very well. If you didn't specify give SSA a call and tell them you want the Combat loads. Since you have the Kt might as well shoot full power loads. The 1-4 Millett is a great value I have the same scope. For the cost you get a lot of scope. You also picked the top of the line scope mount as well. If you do not already you may want to look into relaoding as there are a lot of very good combos you can load.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Tim. I live in Clear Lake Shores, you may have been here a time or two. Great place and lots of nice people down here, but like you said its getting crowded. This is a great site, thanks for all you do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Yep sure have have a few friends from over there. Glad you found the site it has great info for whatever you are using your 6.8 for. We have a great crew here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Howdy. Just missed a family reunion in that part of the country about 2-4 wks ago (Nederland/PNG area, to be more precise).

Will be down near your deer lease this weekend for a family reunion on the wife's side. Damned tourist trap. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Trident71 said:
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. 36 yr old from Galveston County, TX. Avid duck/deer hunter and fisherman. My deer lease is in Fredricksburg, TX and I duck hunt in Port O'Connor, TX.
I am an AR newbie in the process of assembling my first black rifle: I bought a complete unused lower from an individual. It is a DPMS with CAA adjustable stock with cheek piece, and CAA grip with inserts and a Chip McCormick match trigger. I knew I wanted a 6.8 upper, so I lurked here and found out about Ko-Tonics. I placed an order last week with Cardinal Arms for a KT68 - RSM8 complete upper with carrier/bolt assembly. Then I ordered a Larue Tactical SPR-E scope mount and a Millet1 1-4x24 DMS scope (on backorder with SWFA). Today I ordered some ammo from Silver State, the 110 grain pro hunter stuff.
How am I doing so far?
I hope in the next few weeks to get everything put together so I can post some pics and a range report. I can see now why this is a disease. I thought 1911s were bad. :!:

Welcome to the fray! I have hunted outside of Fredricksburg before. Is there still a place to eat in the town called "So and So's home cooking" or something like that, it was a German style place, fantastic!

You sound like your doing fantastic, the 110 grn pro hunters are a great load for hunting. I am using them this fall myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Cold, they are all a "German style place" down there! :wink:


eta: i'm looking forward to eating at one or two of them myself, this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
shooter_tx said:
Cold, they are all a "German style place" down there! :wink:


eta: i'm looking forward to eating at one or two of them myself, this weekend.

I remember it now, I THINK it was called Wheelers. Good place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wheeler's is still there and it rules! Last time I was over there I got a big German lunch plate with schnitzel and a glass of good German beer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Trident71 said:
Wheeler's is still there and it rules! Last time I was over there I got a big German lunch plate with schnitzel and a glass of good German beer.

Oh man... that place was very good. Lucky dog!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Cold said:
shooter_tx said:
Cold, they are all a "German style place" down there! :wink:


eta: i'm looking forward to eating at one or two of them myself, this weekend.
I remember it now, I THINK it was called Wheelers. Good place.
Damnit, I forgot all about this while I was down there. And I even had to go "all the way through town," as the Hermann Sons lodge they had the family reunion at is on the south side...... :?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top