6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am considering a thermal scope. New to the area.

What do folks think of the PULSAR TRAIL XP50 1.6-12.8X42MM scope? Resolution OK? Sensitivity OK? Hardiness OK?

Other suggestioins?

TY!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don’t have any experience with the Trail but I do with the Bering Optics Hogster line. I have a Super Hogster and a Hogster 25 . The super is weapon mounted and I use the 25 for a scanner. This gives me the option of using my scanner on a weapon as well. I’ve been very happy with both. For the money Hogsters are hard to beat .

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

What do folks think of the PULSAR TRAIL XP50 1.6-12.8X42MM scope? Resolution OK? Sensitivity OK? Hardiness OK?

Other suggestioins?

TY!
They were great. They discontinued the trail, other than the lrf models, and now have a trail2 line and a thermion line. They are both great scopes. The biggest thing is how far you plan to shoot and how you plan to use them. Shooting hogs sitting over a feeder at 60yds, stalking them in fields and taking running shots, or longer range coyote hunting (150 plus). Stalking with running shots you want a lower magnification but depending on distances you plan to shoot, you may not want too low 2x would be good for this (30-150yds). With hogs over feeders at 30-80yds and maybe a follow up shot or two out to 100, a 1.5x would be great. Long distance coyote hunting a higher magnification would be best. Keep in mind they all have digital zoom but that cuts resolution in half each bump. So a 3.5x 320 or 384 res scope might be better especially $ wise, than a 1.5x or 1.7x 640, if longer range or higher magnification is desired, since the 1.5x 640 scope would be at 320 resolution at the first bump (3x mag).

Pulsar, Hogsters and Rattlers are all great scopes as are Trijicon, Halo etc. the biggest thing is which one fits your needs the best. Contact a dealer that looks thru/hunts with multiple scopes and let them know your specific situation and they can steer you to what would be best for your needs. If you look thru only one scope you don't know what else is out there and how it actually compares, but these dealers look thru all of them.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
sfs13 provides excellent advice. Three months ago, I purchased an ATN ThOR 4 640 2.5x when I found it on sale. I wanted to change over to thermal to experience the thermal scope’s advantage in order to keep better track of livestock location at greater distance, well past 1000 yards, and be able to look into the woods for hogs. The ATN ThOR 4 has provided these improvements plus has better tactile feel on its control pad over my ATN-X 4K 3-14x which has served without issue over the last 3+ years. I spent the extra for the 640-pixel thermal sensor because resolution has always been important to me. Even with 640 resolution and 2.5x, in most conditions at 100 yards, it is not easy to visually distinguish a small hog from a raccoon, armadillo, porcupine, possum, or skunk. I’m having to learn to look for behavior indications as well. Note, I could see the mask of a raccoon at 100 yards with a good illuminator with the ATN-X 4K. I went with 2.5x base magnification for the extra FOV over the 3-14x. The 2.5x’s FOV has worked well in multi-hog situations. Half my hog engagements are 50 yards +/- 20 yards so far. I typically use 5x when shooting hogs and coyotes out to 250 yards. Higher magnifications start to be noticeably grainy.

I also went with the ThOR 4 over the less expensive LT models because it provides recoil activated video (RAV) recording. ATN’s thermal LT versions have no internal recording capability, not even the ability to manual turn video on (note ATN’s LT illuminator scopes do have manually activated video). The video is critical to me. I study and analyze every engagement which helps me improve. My desire is to be able to engage a sounder and take multiple hogs, a skill I have been trying to master for 3 years now. Video is the only way I have to learn how much lead I need by spotting hits (blood spray) and misses (dirt flying up) and if I’m following through correctly. I’ve also learned from the videos to keep the horizonal cursor centered on the body instead of following the nose when leading which can cause shots to go low.

During my engagement last week, I was finally firing on all cylinders. I got 4 hogs with 4 shots in 6 seconds (5.9 to be exact) from 65 to 100 yards. I reviewed and studied the video to understand exactly what happened. As is typical, my memory of what occurred in the darkness doesn’t keep up especially when all the chaos starts after the first bullet impact. Quit often, I’m bumping into hogs unexpectedly with only time to shoot. Example, last month I had been silently scanning in the dark when I turned around to find a shadow behind me – it was a 200-pound boar grazing 30 yards away – no time but to shoot. ATN’s ThOR can be set-up to automatically record when recoil is sensed which means I have video for even the unexpected, quick reaction engagements. Thus, I have come to rely on RAV – few other scopes have this feature. The video is truth.

The ATN’s ThOR has delivered as expected and more. Other ATN benefits are daytime viewability and eye relief. I’ve dispatched 36 hogs so far this year with 24 of those being taken with the thermal scope. A thermal scope has been my best addition since starting retirement.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Another thing to point out is for a budget night hog setup, is a digital night vision scope and a thermal monocular would be a great setup. This would allow for better target ID with NV but with the thermals superior detection ability. The wraith HD digital NV scope can be had for ~$400 and an AGM tm160 for $400 as well or an improved tm15 for $1250

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
Just be aware of your state laws. Some states Prohibit the use of any and all types of illumination but do allow thermal.

Here in NM you can only hunt with thermal.

Reactions: sfs13

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,675 Posts

Other suggestioins?

TY!
I have the Thermion XP50 which is essentially the same as far as quality. Awesome scope, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Hogster R25. For short to med range, it's hard to beat for the price. Also quite a bit lighter in weight than the XP50.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts