6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in search for a new shotgun to use for hog hunting. All I have is an 870 with a field barrel and took a hog with it this past year. Tree stand hunting with that barrel was a challenge. My cousin loaned me his 1187 Police and I decided I needed something like that in my life after killing a couple hogs a few weeks ago.

Had been looking at Stoeger M3000 Freedom and Tactical, Mossberg 930, 1187 police and even just a shorter barrel for my 870. Thought about Benelli but they were far out of my price range. I finally found a Stoeger in stock at Buds Gun Shop Friday and couldn't resist.

I'm hoping to pick it up at the FFL this week which brings me to my question. It comes with a rail and ghost ring sights. Obviously I haven't shot it yet but was looking for some input from anyone who may have ghost rings on their shotguns or updated to red dot. I've been looking at some Vortex's, Sig's, Bushnell and the Leupold Delta Point. Hoping to get out and try it in the next few weeks. It may be a moot point if I like the ghost ring but just looking for some opinions/options.

·
Super Moderator
21,644 Posts
At what sort of distances are we talking here? I have a Crimson Trace laser and a flashlight on this puppy... "Shockwave", off the Mossberg 590 platform. No stamp required, buy it off the rack at an LGS, and dress it up to your liking.

Back in the day, I've shot a few 870s and 500s with ghost ring sights, they shot as nice as anything else. My Win 1200 Police has flop down rifle sights and with solid slugs, I could (off-hand) tag phone books at 100 yds (back to back). That was a smooth bore and sabot slug. So, they hit if you do your part. The sweet part of this set-up (pictured), is, once you verify POD (dot) is POI, you're GTG. And, it does infact have windage/elevation adjustment capabilities.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At what sort of distances are we talking here? I have a Crimson Trace laser and a flashlight on this puppy... "Shockwave", off the Mossberg 590 platform. No stamp required, buy it off the rack at an LGS, and dress it up to your liking.

Back in the day, I've shot a few 870s and 500s with ghost ring sights, they shot as nice as anything else. My Win 1200 Police has flop down rifle sights and with solid slugs, I could (off-hand) tag phone books at 100 yds (back to back). That was a smooth bore and sabot slug. So, they hit if you do your part. The sweet part of this set-up (pictured), is, once you verify POD (dot) is POI, you're GTG. And, it does infact have windage/elevation adjustment capabilities.

So far engagements have been as close as 12 yds out to 60 yds. The 12 yds was with the 870 and a Remington slug. The hog I killed a couple weeks ago was at 50 with the 1187 with rifle sights with same Remington slugs. Hit another with buck shot at 60 yds but couldn't turn it up. Longest i'd be willing to take with slugs would be 100 yds tops. But being a dedicated hog gun/self defense I highly doubt I'd be shooting it that far. I missed another hog while driving the ranch that was laying in a wallow. Grabbed the 6.8 instead of the shotgun on accident. 25 yd shot and flat missed.

Most places on the ranch where our stands are the hogs have trails they follow within 15-50 yds of the stand coming and going to feeder. We usually see multiples so usually run slugs followed by buckshot. We've killed a few that we have had to follow into some thick creek bottoms and thickets. Always have the pistol ready but I'd feel better with the short scatter gun than a scoped rifle in some of that stuff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The ghost ring sights will work great as long as the light is adequate. Tritium or fiber optic on the front post will help in low light If that’s an option.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ghost ring sights will work great as long as the light is adequate. Tritium or fiber optic on the front post will help in low light If that’s an option.
Thanks for the response. I read on another forum trying to do some more research that the front post is the only complaint. I believe it uses a Beretta nylon one. What you suggest may be an easy upgrade. I have the Tritium on my Glock and like it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have fiber optic Williams Fire Sights on my 870 turkey shotgun and like them really well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts