6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am pretty new here and has just spent quite a bit of time looking and reading info. There is lots of info her and this site seems very good.

I have some questions though that I would like answered.

I recently purchased a RRA 6.8 Lar with the flattop.

I would like to put an ACOG on it with the red cross hairs and bdc, but I cant decide on what a better set up would be. I will be looking to shot mostly action sports with some target shooting. So basically I want something that can shoot from about 30m - 500m Maximum.

My questions are basically what is the best setup and what works bettter the doctor optics or the aimpoint t1:

1st Setup Idea - TA31DOC
Is this a good setup?
Do you have to lift your head to use the doctor optics?

3rd Setup Idea - TA31DOC
Without the doctor optics, install Micro t1
Good setup?

Does anyone have any experience with a setup like this?

Would these setups work properly or should I wait until the 6.8 series from ACOG comes out. The Firearm was just ordered so its going to take anywhere from 12-16 weeks till I get it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
With the TA31DOC, you do have to lift your head to use the Doc sight, but with trainng, it works pretty well. The T-1 mounted offset seems to work very well, but I never tried it. IMHO the problem, especially for action shooting is the ACOG. The eye relief is very short and getting the BDC set up for your ammo can be tricky when shooting out that far. I just wish Trijicon would just make a non-caliber specific reticle already.

For the price of an ACOG, I would rather have a 1x4 variable scope such as the Nightforce NXS, Horus Talon, or Leupold 1.5x5, which have much better eye relief and non-caliber specific reticles or turrets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not to worried about the ammo setup as I know a guy that is going to help me sit down and play with the ammo to make everything run nicely. The thing that I thought would be nice with the acog is i am not going to do just action shooting my time will probably be divided between that and target shooting.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
do you know anyone that has one that you can try? They are ice optiics, I just think there are better options for shooting out to 500 yards. You may also want to check out the IOR 1.5x8-26 scopes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Having the Acog on my Sig556 its great the 4x helps allot once i got it tweaked in out to 500yrd but it was made for it...
But i would not put it on my 6.8....1-for that price i should't have to rework bdc Calc, and what if you want to drop to 2x or something :?
i got a variable scope on my 6.8...it comes down to what you most conformable with so good luck :)
PS- if you got a 556 acog and they come out with 6.8 bdc ,i wonder if you can send it to them and change out the bdc? hmm

·
Registered
105 Posts
to be honest, I think a person in your boat " a person that doe not have the need for a caliber BDC optic" I would go with a optic that is in a unit of measure not a BDC.

As a example:

Good:

Leupold MK 4 1.5-4x

Bad

Burris 2-7x35

This is not a brand or cost issue, its a reticle issue. I would buy a optic that can go from gun to gun, over many years. Not a BDC that does not really work for any one caliber.

The best I think for what you want to do is this Horus Talon

I say this due to the fact, its not a BDC, Its a magnification range that works, and you get the ability to go 500yds + if your rifle can do it.

IF you just want ot go point blank ranges, EO-Tech, AimPoint, Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25-4 are great.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I dont have anyone I know around me to has these scopes to use.

I have one question though, if I reload rounds will this not throw off the calibration anyways.

Say I mounted one of these on a .223 and then reloaded rounds to make then hotter wont this affect the bdc ratio anyways?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
ScottH said:

I have one question though, if I reload rounds will this not throw off the calibration anyways.

Say I mounted one of these on a .223 and then reloaded rounds to make then hotter wont this affect the bdc ratio anyways?
When you have a scope that has a reticle that is not caliber specific like the Horus Talon, no matter what your load is, you can match it up by using a trajectory program like JBM. It is very easy.

When you have a scope that you can dial in the range like the Leupold or the Nightforce, you just dial the range using the turrets. Either one is good.

The worse kind for me are the reticles that are specific for a certain bullet, like the ACOG reticles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ScottH said:

You got it.

This is why you want to go to a unit of measure not a BDC reticle.

A unit of measure reticle is a MOA / IPHY / Mil reticle Like a Leupold TMR, or Mil-Dot, USO MOA reticles and such.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pretty much was looking for something that was illuminated through the day and had quick pick up.

I started looking at the ACOGs becuase of the dual illumination, the bdc is something that is just an add on that isnt important to me.

In reality I will rarely shooting to 500 meters, alot of the shoots will be within 200-300. Within these distances I dont even think a BDC is important just someting that is there.

There is a guy who uses the chevron and dual illumination over at M4carbine with an aimpoint T1 it seems like something that might be interesting.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=224865

·
Registered
105 Posts
In that link, I think that kind of setup is pointless.

I run a ACOG, TA11C with the donut reticle.

I hit CQB ranges just fine.

I have to have a ACOG so thats that. If I could just go with the Horus 1-4x I would be done with it.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I started to look at the TA11B,

How is the TA11C?
How is it for shooting cqb?
How is it for shooting distances?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The TA11C is a great optic just like all the other ACOG's the only issue is, its a .308win BDC, shooting with it on my Ar-15 /.223rem 69grn FGMM it works, and well, just not ideal.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts