6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new Remington model 700 Tactical 6.8, H-S Precision Stock, Pentax 4.5-14x42 scope, MGW scope mount with Warne rings. Can't wait to sight it in this weekend.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dude

Looks very slick, let us know how she groups and with what ammo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One of my neighbors & hunting buddy bought one of these. Darn lucky right handed shooters.

He is going to sell it new/unfired in the box because -

- a couple of days later he managed to get a NIB Rem 700 Light Tactical Rifle (LTR) in 6.8 that was lying about some small dealers shelves.

Twice lucky on that deal for him. :D

He just got a scope for it and now is ready for some range testing.

Should be interesting to see how that LTR shoots.

·
Registered
50 Posts
dude47jp -

Where did you get that MGW scope mount?

Looks like the ticket for a nice 6.8 tactical rifle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ChopperGuy said:
dude47jp -

Where did you get that MGW scope mount?

Looks like the ticket for a nice 6.8 tactical rifle.
Actually it is a EGW mount ( evolution gun works ) had the first letter wrong on my original post. Bought it on ebay, they have mounts for quite a few different rifles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had this rifle to the range a couple of times now. The first outing I was not very impressed with the groups I was getting. I tried two different loads, 31g H-335 with 100g Remington soft point 2795 FPS and 30g of H-322 with the same bullet 2826 FPS. Groups where over 1 1/2 inch at 100yds and none of the holes were real close together. I class bedded the action and free floated the barrel and also lightened the trigger pull to 3 pounds (trigger was over 5 pounds). The second time out was much better with sub MOA 5 shot groups except for my flyer. I found the H-335 powder to be the most accurite for this load.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have a load developed using a 150 gr bullet. Am hoping to hunt with my 6.8 remington but cant find loading data except for a 115 gr bullet. I am told that the 6.8 mm is the same size as the .270 cal., is this correct? Also, how much drop should I expect at 200 yards if I am sighted in at 1" high at 100 yaers?
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob said:
Does anyone have a load developed using a 150 gr bullet. Am hoping to hunt with my 6.8 remington but cant find loading data except for a 115 gr bullet. I am told that the 6.8 mm is the same size as the .270 cal., is this correct? Also, how much drop should I expect at 200 yards if I am sighted in at 1" high at 100 yaers?
Thanks,
Bob
Bob
The 115 grain bullets work fine for deer size game. I have loaded 130 grains to around 2500 fps. I do not know how the 150 grain bullets would work, I think the bullets would be to long for the case size. Would not get enough powder in the case to get a decent velocity. Check out the reloading section on this forum you will probably get more answers to your question

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Jim, appreciate the reply....what powder did you use for the 130 gr load? I assume the 6.8 mm is a .270 cal., do you know what kind of bullet drop do you think you would get at 200 yds if sighted 1" high at 100......I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel.....thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the 6.8 is a 270 cal bullet. I got the best accuracy with 30 grains hodgen H-335 useing remington 130g soft point, average velocity was 2495fps COL was 2.400. I also tried Sierra 130g pro hunters with the same load average velocity was 2503fps COL was 2.394.
Both loads where out of my bolt gun, these loads are to long to fit in an AR 15 rifle. I would start out at 26g and work your way up checking for over pressure signs.
With the 130 grain bullet sighted in at 1" high at 100 yards I was hitting a 8" metal gong at 200 yards aiming dead on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks again im for the info, I have some IMR 4198 powder I am going to try with the 130 gr load. Thanks again for the information....it's appreciated.
Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought one of these rifles too, today. Got lucky at my gun store and this showed up. Remington Tactical 700 6.8. I researched it on the internet for hours and didn't come up with too much. I called Remington and they're still researching it for me. But I did find out they were made in 2005 and that the stock is made by Bell and Carlson, Medalist tactical. Made out of composite with solid aluminum bedding and decelerator pad. It's different than the Rem LTR in that it has a 22" barrel instead of 20 or 26. I have a full length Leopold mount I'll be putting on it, low or medium Leopold rings for the Nikon 2.5x10 BDC UCC scope I bought for the rifle. Should be a nice Tact setup.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes ! thanks.

Congrats on the new rifle. I've been tempted sorely at times
with that model. But since I have the 20" LTR I put it off.
Very cool rifle though and someday I'll get one.

dxr

paulosantos said:
doctorxring said:
That blue lettering bombs my eyes mate !
:(
I fixed it. Is it better? :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts