6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.
Just purchased a Stag 7 6.8 with a 20.77" barrel. Any recommendations for optics and accessories/setup would be appreciated as I am getting back into shooting. I plan on target shooting and mule deer hunting in Utah, and maybe go through with my crazy idea of paying for cool accessories with Utah's $50 coyote bounty. What is the max reliable range of this weapon, I see it does have a huge drop rate at distance.
Started out in Pennsylvania shooting BB guns with my friends, would throw sticks in a creek a shoot them as they floated by, did a lot of pheasant and whitetail hunting, was a marksmanship coach in the Marines helping others with their qualifying. Hope to get into shooting hot and heavy once more.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Welcome to the 68Forums, I think you'll like the Stag 7, the one i use to own shot nice groups. As for range that will depend on your bullet choice, We've had members kill deer at 400 yds but it's all about proper shot placement which I'm sure you know.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Welcome aboard.
My Stag 7 i had shot great. if wanting to lighten up I recommend AP Customs 12 or 15" carbon fiber tube, Aero Precision's ultralight scope mount and a Leupold or Vortex scope, find one on their site that fits your exact needs and taste.

·
Registered
660 Posts
How much are you willing to spend on optics? A vtac wide padded sling would be a good start as well. Will you be doing any night hunting?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Here is my 7H. Topped with a trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 green mil dot. PRS stock. MI Gen2 SS. Everything else is OE. With my 110 hpbt handloads it can hit a silhouette target at 600 yards all day long. Beyond that the velocity drop is too much for reliable accuracy.

I actually don't shot her much anymore after getting a custom Savage 6.8 20" . i get an extra 100fps and much easier to shoot longer ranges. Still cannot part with my 7h since she was my first 6.8.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Very similar to Wassman, after a few years, my 7h has new furniture - Samson Evo hg and MOE rifle stock. For glass, mine uses a Leupold VXR patrol 3-9X40. Devastating out to 400 yards with 120 gr Hornady SST handloads, I'm comfortable with it to 300 yards on whitetail for energy & velocity with those 120 gr SST handloads or the Nosler Accubond 110gr handloads.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome, my model 7 shot 120gr SST's into tiny little groups. Wished I hadn't sold it now but wanted a lighter gun to carry up these mountains.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought the stag 7h in left hand a couple months back. So far it has been very accurate using Hornady 110 gr BTHP and 120 gr SST handloads with H4198. Both average between .5-.6 MOA which I'm very happy with. For hunting I topped it with a Burris PEPR base and Burris AR332 scope. Bad bowtie is right that you notice the rifle when hauling it around. I did a lot of that labor day weekend and have been thinking about a carbon fiber front tube to save weight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought the stag 7h in left hand a couple months back. So far it has been very accurate using Hornady 110 gr BTHP and 120 gr SST handloads with H4198. Both average between .5-.6 MOA which I'm very happy with. For hunting I topped it with a Burris PEPR base and Burris AR332 scope. Bad bowtie is right that you notice the rifle when hauling it around. I did a lot of that labor day weekend and have been thinking about a carbon fiber front tube to save weight.
While I fully agree the M7L is a bit nose heavy, BUT, I really like the fact that the weight seems to make for a more stable platform for longer range varmint or Speed Goat hunting. I am getting very good results with Barnes 95 grain TTSX BT solid copper bullets. Decent velocity, tight groups and if properly placed, will dispatch a Pronghorn or deer anywhere between 100 to 300/350 yards (I just don't feel my current personal skills would guarantee a humane kill beyond that).

I have been hoping to find or build a 16" carbine version upper for eastern whitetail just to lighten the rifle, but the stock M7L with its Rock River 2 stage National Match trigger (put RRA NM 2 stage triggers I my other 2 Stags) it is a real sweet, tight shooter. If you are not humping it up and down mountains; anchored with a Harris bi-pod, this rifle is a keeper. I currently have a Burris Fullfield Tactical II 2x7 (discontinued) scope that I hope to change to a Vortex 2.5x10x32 or 40 PST.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
To this day it amazes me how much people talk about a few extra inches of barrel being so much more of a burden to carry.
The Stag 7 barrel weighs roughly 2#14oz. compared to Arps 16" Scout @ 1# 12 oz.
Your 18" Arp is a good balance at around 2.2 pounds and I bet real close in velocity too, compared to that 20.77"er
It's not just the barrel; the Hogue forearm is pretty beefy, but to me, it sure feels good in the hand!
Yup, heavy, about 14 oz. compared to AP custom @ around 7-8 oz.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
To this day it amazes me how much people talk about a few extra inches of barrel being so much more of a burden to carry.
The few extra inches in my pants is quite a burden, but you don't see me complaining.:a31:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts