6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys thanks for having me on the forum! Ive been lurking for the last few weeks. Im looking to build another upper to hunt deer,yotes and woodchucks with. I got a 450 BM upper this fall and relly like hunting with the ar platform.Was lucky enough to take my first "MSR" buck with the 450 in november. Also gonna need a "youth " appropriate option for deer humting in the next couple yrs.Ive always been intrigued by the 6.8, and yesterday for the first time ever actually bought 4 boxes of ammo for a gun i dont have yet. no turning back now lol. Ive read every thread concerning this barrel, but need some real feedback. Im looking @ the YHM 16" carbine barrel, fluted and regular crowned... the price is right but is the deal real?? My big questions are the accuracy capability and the carbine gas system. I know mid length is ideal for 6.8, that said would it be advisable to get an adjustable gas block for this build? Also i know that 1/11 is preffered over 1/10 twist, but in all my research i dont think twist rate alone is a reason to dismiss this barrel. Im just looking for a low cost but quality upper capable of 1-2moa. dont really need long range capability but would be nice to reach out a ways for yotes and woodchucks. 100 yards is a long shot anywhere i deer hunt. Obviously the price but also the fact that its crowned is really are steering me towards this barrel, im in NY and cant have a threaded barrel. Also seems like this barrel would fit the bill for a lightweight build, not interested in heavy barrels at all. Sorry for the long winded first post but looking forward to your guys feedback.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’m in NY as well. Threaded barrels are only illegal with a detachable mag. If you pin the mag like we all do in NY, lol, you won’t have a problem. And ARP makes some great barrels too. I’ll let some others chime in.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've not read anything negative about Yankee Hill .

If your not Reloading for it there's probably nil difference in gas length .
As a handloader and cast bullet guy the difference from a 16" carb to a 20" rifle was significant in both MV and powder selections .

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Never has my hand on a YHM 68 Barrel, but have heard nothing but negative in the accuracy department.

If you looking for a 16" Target Crown barrel in 6.8 I would recommend Bison. I have their threaded version and it has been a shooter from day one.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Guess I'm a bit of a tightwad. I don't think I've ever paid over about $120 for a barrel.
So far, they've all been capable of deer killing groups at 100 yards.

I've got a 16" Anderson Rifle barrel chambered 6.8mm II.
May not be a benchrest rifle, but it will certainly kill deer as far as I care to shoot. About 200/250 yards.
Good 'nuff fer me!

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
ARPis what all my 6.8's have been, always shoot lights out

·
Registered
723 Posts
Never has my hand on a YHM 68 Barrel, but have heard nothing but negative in the accuracy department.

If you looking for a 16" Target Crown barrel in 6.8 I would recommend Bison. I have their threaded version and it has been a shooter from day one.

Second on the Bison barrel. Mine has been spot on with everything ive thrown at it. From factory to some pretty stout handloads with zero issues.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Guess I'm a bit of a tightwad. I don't think I've ever paid over about $120 for a barrel.
So far, they've all been capable of deer killing groups at 100 yards.

I've got a 16" Anderson Rifle barrel chambered 6.8mm II.
May not be a benchrest rifle, but it will certainly kill deer as far as I care to shoot. About 200/250 yards.
Good 'nuff fer me!
I guess a better way to put it is the YHM is the Work Truck of 6.8 barrels and ARP/Bison is the King Ranch.

Let us know how it performs not matter what route you go. If the YHM shoots 2-3 MOA and flawless function I may pick one up for a loaner/beater gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m in NY as well. Threaded barrels are only illegal with a detachable mag. If you pin the mag like we all do in NY, lol, you won’t have a problem. And ARP makes some great barrels too. I’ll let some others chime in.
Yea i know all about fixed mag loophole... just not interested in this feature for a hunting rifle, alot of loading/unloading. That and itll be sharing a lower with my 556 upper. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yea im seing more bad reviews than good about their 6.8 barrels, but there are a few favorable reviews. Thanks for the link to the Bison... man thats exactly what im lookin for and love the look of stainless, but @ 2X the price of the YHM.... is the bison barrel twice as good?Decisions, decisions lol. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess a better way to put it is the YHM is the Work Truck of 6.8 barrels and ARP/Bison is the King Ranch.

Let us know how it performs not matter what route you go. If the YHM shoots 2-3 MOA and flawless function I may pick one up for a loaner/beater gun.
Ill definately let you guys know what route i go, im leaning towards the buy once cry once option. It was the price of the YHM barrel that got my wheels spinning on this build, who knows what ill end up with lol. Thanks for the feedback eveybody, loving this forum already!

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Ill definately let you guys know what route i go, im leaning towards the buy once cry once option. It was the price of the YHM barrel that got my wheels spinning on this build, who knows what ill end up with lol. Thanks for the feedback eveybody, loving this forum already!
You could try a WTB post here and see if you get a bite. Most will be threaded but worth a shot, no pun intended.

However you need 50+ posts to gain access to that section of the forum. Given the friendliness of this forum that should not be difficult.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I’ve owned a few budget barrels and have never seen happy with any of them. My ARP and Bison 6.8 builds are both sub MOA with several different loads. Their prices ARE budget compared to most high end barrels. My Black Hole Weaponry barreled rifle is a tiny bit more accurate but cost twice as much.

·
Registered
14,090 Posts
Funny how things change, up until 2006 I had never paid less than $400 for a barrel. Now there are several companies importing junk from overseas and selling them for $100.
Somewhere around 2010 a well known company was importing barrels from canada at $40 ea then building rifles with them and selling the rifles for $1800-2400.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Funny how things change, up until 2006 I had never paid less than $400 for a barrel. Now there are several companies importing junk from overseas and selling them for $100.
Somewhere around 2010 a well known company was importing barrels from canada at $40 ea then building rifles with them and selling the rifles for $1800-2400.
Corporate compromising their product for the sole purpose to increase profit margins. At that price point and "well known" it kinda narrows it down.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
So, I am guessing those rifles didn't shoot well?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dad has a YHM 6.8 upper. His has the 16" threaded barrel, not a target crown. No problems with it and taken several deer, pigs, and a few coyotes. His is a few years old, don't know how it would compare to a new YHM barrel. Only thing I really thought was weird about it was the smaller thread size, but that won't affect your target crown barrel.

My 16" (and now 12.5") 6.8 is an ARP barrel. I have no doubt that H's barrel is better, but honestly both barrels shoot better than we do.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 16" YHM barrel on my AR. I have an adjustable gas block on it that helps with the carbine gas length. I also run a suppressor. As far as accuracy, I have some loads that are right at an inch, and thats about the accuracy level. I have killed 2 deer with it so far here in Kentucky. I can hit a 12" plate at 330 yards with ease. As much as I would like to get a ARP barrel, this one is accurate enough for my purposes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a 16" YHM barrel on my AR. I have an adjustable gas block on it that helps with the carbine gas length. I also run a suppressor. As far as accuracy, I have some loads that are right at an inch, and thats about the accuracy level. I have killed 2 deer with it so far here in Kentucky. I can hit a 12" plate at 330 yards with ease. As much as I would like to get a ARP barrel, this one is accurate enough for my purposes.
I'm trying to kill deer, not drive tacks.
Guess if I was a "paper puncher", I'd be more concerned with "minute-of-angle". As it is, I'm more interested in "minute-of-deer/pig"! LOL!
I've got a hammer to drive tracks with and even at my advanced age (70), I can still sneak close enough to a nail to hit it with a hammer! 😀!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not sure im catching your drift.... are you saying YHM imported $40 dollar barrels from canada???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts